corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If an airbag doesnt go off in a bad crash...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author If an airbag doesnt go off in a bad crash...
Kyle T
Premium Member

User status: Offline
10th Jun 05 at 17:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you had a really bad crash - say rolling over 6 or 7 times in a field, and your airbag doesnt go off, Is there any further action you should be taking, ie complaining to vaux? Has anyone had this and got anywhere with it?

Cheers

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
RichR
Premium Member

10th Jun 05 at 18:01   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no - it depends on if and when the sensor is deployed - if the airbags sensor says thats theirs no need for deployment of the airbag - because of the tyope of crash - it wont go off
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jun 05 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hmm ok, IF you saw a pictre of the car that has crashed, you'd expect the airbag to deploy, but no such luck

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Adam-D

10th Jun 05 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

normally they only go off in frontal accident's
side airbags in side accidents etc
RichR
Premium Member

10th Jun 05 at 18:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

but did the drievr hit the wheel, windscreen - or was he forced backwards as a result of the crash
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jun 05 at 18:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Erm he was sorta chucked to the left, then to the right, hit the roof a few times, and ended up with his legs hanging out of the window

He didnt get any real bad head injuries, I just woulda expected the airbag to come out, the cars a fcuking wreck

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
ed

10th Jun 05 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was he wearing a seatbelt? If he wasn't then if the airbag went off it could have killed him....
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jun 05 at 18:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yer had a seatbelt on... but so did the passenger, and some how he ended up outside of the car before it stopped moving

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
langey

10th Jun 05 at 18:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by m0nDe0
Hmm ok, IF you saw a pictre of the car that has crashed, you'd expect the airbag to deploy, but no such luck

said pics?????
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jun 05 at 18:19   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Theyre only "real pics" at the moment, ie not digital.

As soon as I get some digital copies, Ill show you.

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
ed

10th Jun 05 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The main thing is, airbags are pretty dangerous if they go off randomly in accidents. They should normally only go off if there is massive deceleration, i.e. smashing head on into a lamp post or another car. If the car is is rolling across a field and the roof/side/wings/suspension/floor e.t.c... are all crumpling (like they should) then the deceleration energy is being absorbed by the shell of the car, therefore no need for airbags.... What I would be most worried about is the fact the passengers in the car managed to come free of the seatbelts, did the pretensioners go off? Oh, also if the airbag is faulty then the warning light should come on when the car is turned on, the light should illuminate when the ignition is in position 3 when the other lights come on
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jun 05 at 18:26   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok then cheers for clearing that up. I honestly couldnt tell you how the passenger came out, maybe he unclipped himself and jumped out, I dunno - he got away with a scratch on his forehead, helluva lot better off than the driver tho..

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
ed

10th Jun 05 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But, the Police will be investigating the crash? They normally test the car for faults, if it's revealed that the air bag failed to come out and this resulted in injury to the driver then there is probably an injury case there... Hard to tell though without knowing all the facts.
Kyle T
Premium Member

10th Jun 05 at 18:33   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, the police have finished with the car now, they think everything was fine with it (He'd only had it a few days ) but I went to see him in hospital today, saw the pics and couldnt believe that the steering wheel was still intact! Oh well, Cheers anyway

[Edited on 10-06-2005 by m0nDe0]

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Mattb

10th Jun 05 at 18:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

airbags only deploy if an accident pulls over 2g... im pretty sure
ainsley_brader

12th Jun 05 at 19:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Airbags are very intelligent. It probably decided it was of no use because of the direction of travel of the vehicle.

I have seen new vectras which have only set off front airbags not sides or curtains.
I have seen others which have set off curtains but not sides or fronts!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » If an airbag doesnt go off in a bad crash... 24 database queries in 0.0184770 seconds