corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO : all those dumb sods who are 'for' the fuel blockade

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author FAO : all those dumb sods who are 'for' the fuel blockade
Cybermonkey

User status: Offline
11th Sep 05 at 05:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by BlueCorsa
quote:
Originally posted by Cybermonkey
do you not realise that it will do nothing to help fuel prices? you are just shooting yourselves in the foot by forcing the government to find money from elsewhere.

You don't even live in this country so why don't you go and fuck yourself?

i suggest you STFU. god damn kid
Lee 16v

11th Sep 05 at 10:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..........but none of these comments are actually making difference to this country
M333KS D

11th Sep 05 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:
do you not realise that it will do nothing to help fuel prices? you are just shooting yourselves in the foot by forcing the government to find money from elsewhere.

sorry but ur only like 22, why are you referring to people not much if at all younger than yourself as a kid, thats just an immature way of dealing with things

[Edited on 11-09-2005 by M333KS D]
M333KS D

11th Sep 05 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Lee 16v
..........but none of these comments are actually making difference to this country

true, just turned out to be a rant didnt it, i dont believe that anyone in here including myself will do anything drastic at all to help it! because no one either wants to or can be bothered
nickyboy01

11th Sep 05 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont know why you're getting so wound up Cybermonkey, you're not even in this country

The protests probably wont make much difference and people are moaning about their cars costing xxx amount more to run, but its not the car drivers that stand to lose their livelyhoods due to high fuel costs

Its not the car owners that cant afford it but the hauliers who will lose business to Eastern European companies if they pass the rising cost onto their customers.

Take an average long distance truck with a 700l fuel tank

At the current price it costs around £680 to fill up
If the price rises by 5p a litre it will cost another £35 to fill up, not a lot you might say but at 9mpg or less it will cover 1600 odd miles and fill up 4 or 5 times a week so thats £170 a week, multiply that by 52 weeks which is £8800 . If the company is running 20 trucks thats over £160,000 a year in extra fuel. Starts to make a bit more sense now doesnt it?

A haulage company from say Poland/Czech Republic who will pay their drivers in the region of £200-£300 a month can send a truck with 1200l fuel tanks topping up before they enter the UK at around 60p a litre do the work of a British truck and return to Europe without touching any of our expensive fuel.

If you were a big manufacturing company watching your own costs, which would you choose?
Carr

11th Sep 05 at 13:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dna23
Carlo seems to have his head screwed on just perfectly i agree 100%

Carr

11th Sep 05 at 13:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I think it's bullshit people saying because we have a smaller country we should pay more. We have more economical cars yet are still paying as much if not more per mile than someone with a 6 litre v8 or whatever in usa
corsa5dr

11th Sep 05 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by nickyboy01
Dont know why you're getting so wound up Cybermonkey, you're not even in this country

The protests probably wont make much difference and people are moaning about their cars costing xxx amount more to run, but its not the car drivers that stand to lose their livelyhoods due to high fuel costs

Its not the car owners that cant afford it but the hauliers who will lose business to Eastern European companies if they pass the rising cost onto their customers.

If the price rises by 5p a litre it will cost another £35 to fill up, not a lot you might say but at 9mpg or less it will cover 1600 odd miles and fill up 4 or 5 times a week so thats £170 a week, multiply that by 52 weeks which is £8800 . If the company is running 20 trucks thats over £160,000 a year in extra fuel. Starts to make a bit more sense now doesnt it?

A haulage company from say Poland/Czech Republic who will pay their drivers in the region of £200-£300 a month can send a truck with 1200l fuel tanks topping up before they enter the UK at around 60p a litre do the work of a British truck and return to Europe without touching any of our expensive fuel.

If you were a big manufacturing company watching your own costs, which would you choose?

You make a few valid points but your argument is flawed in several ways.

What you mention is called comparitive advantage-ie some nations have certain elements that make their countries more attractive in terms of industrial and commercial operations.

Sure Eastern European nations have cheaper petrol, cheaper labour, making an attractive prospect for manufacturing companies. Many companies may choose to use such companies-which overall is a good thing for people in such emerging economies AND in in this country, as it forces our industries to become more competitive in other ways, which in the long run, leads to cheaper prices and better quality for their customers, and therefore the consumer.

However, many will still choose to use UK companies, for several reasons. There are inherent risks in doing business in emerging nations, e.g volatility of government policy, volatility of the economy, lack of institutions, less quality of service (which in todays manufacturing industries is crucial to success in terms of speed and quality of delivery).

The idea of some kind of dramatic shift to such nations IS a myth, haulage companies in this country are more than capable of being competitive and there will not be any mass backruptcy of these firms.

I could go on forever picking your argument to pieces, these are just a few points.

A suggestion - learn something about international business, emerging markets and macroeconomics before you start lecturing

[Edited on 11-09-2005 by corsa5dr]
corsa5dr

11th Sep 05 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by corsa5dr
quote:

You make a few valid points but your argument is flawed in several ways.

What you mention is called comparitive advantage-ie some nations have certain elements that make their countries more attractive in terms of industrial and commercial operations.

Sure Eastern European nations have cheaper petrol, cheaper labour, making an attractive prospect for manufacturing companies. Many companies may choose to use such companies-which overall is a good thing for people in such emerging economies AND in in this country, as it forces our industries to become more competitive in other ways, which in the long run, leads to cheaper prices and better quality for their customers, and therefore the consumer.

However, many will still choose to use UK companies, for several reasons. There are inherent risks in doing business in emerging nations, e.g volatility of government policy, volatility of the economy, lack of institutions, less quality of service (which in todays manufacturing industries is crucial to success in terms of speed and quality of delivery).

Sure, some firms profits may be hit by the rise, but the idea of some kind of dramatic shift to such nations IS a myth, haulage companies in this country are more than capable of being competitive and there will not be any mass backruptcy of these firms.

I could go on forever picking your argument to pieces, these are just a few points.

A suggestion - learn something about international business, emerging markets and macroeconomics before you start lecturing

[Edited on 11-09-2005 by corsa5dr]
nickyboy01

11th Sep 05 at 16:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

The idea of some kind of dramatic shift to such nations IS a myth, haulage companies in this country are more than capable of being competitive and there will not be any mass backruptcy of these firms.

Have you got first hand experience of the Haulage industry? It doesnt sound like you do
I have travelled over half a million miles in the past few years doing my job and have seen the transition, companies who used to use UK hauliers now have foreign reg units pulling their trailers. Its not the big companies that suffer but the smaller ones which you never hear of. Read the trucking magazines and you'll read about them.
There will always be some who will stick to British but sadly its not financially viable anymore

quote:

I suggest you learn something about the UK haulage industry before posting comments like that.

3 Companies in my local area inc one owned by a good friend of mine have folded in recent years due to spiralling operating costs, it cant be blamed on fuel costs alone obviously but they are are a major contributing factor.

[Edited on 11-09-2005 by nickyboy01]
Robbo

11th Sep 05 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Indeed

However, for those suggesting to stick the tax on fags - its been looked into an isnt feasible really... at the end of the day it is a 'luxury' item and if you make them too expensive people wont be able to afford them, this will then create a black market and govt will have another problem on their hands :S
Robbo

11th Sep 05 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by SVM 286
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyCarlo
quote:
Originally posted by Jamie Walby
quote:
Originally posted by CrazyCarlo
maybe sort out the benefits scheme as well, too many free loaders in this country. Also bring back death penalty for serial killers etc, would have to be certain they did it. Can't see why we should have to pay thousands a year to home some sick fucker.

Kill the killers
rape the rapers
etc etc

is that the sort of thing you mean?

yes, rape them with a large knife.

Rob the robbers, burgle the burglars and burn the f*cking arsonists

Feed paedos slowly into a bacon slicer feet first

Car thieves hmm, - Peel them and roll them in road salt and dog sh*t while a squadron of Nigerian men with sifilis make violent love to them for a day or so

In Peru (I think - may be Venezuala or Ecuador) Paedos/rapists in prison are fair game and they even have drowning pits in prisons to kill them Also, the criminals families live with them in their cell
SVM 286

12th Sep 05 at 00:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Carr
I think it's bullshit people saying because we have a smaller country we should pay more. We have more economical cars yet are still paying as much if not more per mile than someone with a 6 litre v8 or whatever in usa

Precisely.

It cost me £60.36 to fill the car up on Saturday - that's eight quid more than last December.

I'm sorry, but an £8 rise in 9 years would annoy me - 9 months takes the piss.

That's an extra 416 quid i've got to find each year. My wages haven't risen in 18 months so that's bad.

The insurance on my commuter car costs me £434 at the moment so that extra greed on the part of the revenue seekers makes the difference between me being able to afford my car insurance and having to put it on my credit card and pay for it all year plus the interest.

I suffered during the last fuel protests because I had no petrol left the day it started so by the time I left work I was fucked and couldn't commute.

However, I support anyone who has the balls to stand up to our sceptical ivory tower dwelling government.

It might do nothing, but If nobody makes a stand, nothing will definitely happen and no other countries will get to know how unhappy we are and how shabbily the honest hard working UK resident is treated.

The poll tax riots had the desired effect, and if fuel rises spark a similar reaction, then maybe our pseudo left-wing prime minister will pull his head out of his arse and start prioritising more fairly.

I for one would be willing to cycle to work if there was a repeat of five years ago that had even the slimmest chance of some sort of positive effect.
Cybermonkey

12th Sep 05 at 06:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Indeed

However, for those suggesting to stick the tax on fags - its been looked into an isnt feasible really... at the end of the day it is a 'luxury' item and if you make them too expensive people wont be able to afford them, this will then create a black market and govt will have another problem on their hands :S

you raise a fair point there robbo
Cybermonkey

12th Sep 05 at 07:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by M333KS D
quote:
quote:
quote:

sorry but ur only like 22, why are you referring to people not much if at all younger than yourself as a kid, thats just an immature way of dealing with things

[Edited on 11-09-2005 by M333KS D]

i was replying to an immature and short-sighted comment with an immature response.
Cybermonkey

12th Sep 05 at 07:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

i am still a UK citizen, and was living there through the last blockades actually. and the fuel prices are rising just as sharply over here mate
eightball

12th Sep 05 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
Indeed

, this will then create a black market and govt will have another problem on their hands :S

this is already happening - and not just with cigarettes. ask some of the northern ireland boys on here how many petrol stations have disappeared over there in the last 2/3 years...
Cybermonkey

12th Sep 05 at 09:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

eightball, that might have something more to do with franchising problems more than anything...
eightball

12th Sep 05 at 16:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
eightball, that might have something more to do with franchising problems more than anything...

...and a lot to do with 'the boys' going down mexico way (eire), bringing up big tanker loads of fuel and flogging it off cheaper than the petrol stations; bingo, out of business mr shell/BP etc.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » FAO : all those dumb sods who are 'for' the fuel blockade 23 database queries in 0.0306759 seconds