corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Motorsport Engineering ..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Motorsport Engineering ..
DaXx

User status: Offline
6th Nov 05 at 12:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am thinking of doing either a Motorsport Engineering or a Transport design course (at Coventry Uni), both look and sound good but has anyone on here gone down that route or career?

Advice etc most appreciated!
Hamish

6th Nov 05 at 12:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im in my first year of doin MotorSport engineering at Brunel. Coventry was my second choice. Its great fun if u like that sort of thing, however there is a lot of theroy work (jus like any other engineering course) and it is very work intensive
bradfincham

6th Nov 05 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

im in my 2nd year at herts uni, doing motorsport engineering!

Its not easy thats for sure, 1st and 2nd year is all maths, physics, cad, business studies and statistics

get envolved with the formula student team if you can as well that helps

but remember with motorsport its one of the hardest jobs out there, working all week and every weekend, long hours and stressful.

Also get some experience with teams, i worked with formula ford, catherham supercup and radicals so know a fair bit, thats good on a cv.
But with this business its WHO you know, not what you know

so make as many contacts as possible, be seen as many places and introduce yourself to as many people as you can.

Its hard work but can be rewarding and good fun, just remember that lot and you should be fine, and f1 is a dream, it wont happen for 99% of people and its harder work than all the others as theres 500 people applying for job advertised

antscorsa

6th Nov 05 at 19:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i did transport design at cov for a year then changed as i disliked the course, i know ashcorsa on here does it and prob has a diff view of it than me but i didnt like the way they taught it, 140 people in one class is shocking and i remeber drawing only one car in my first year.
depends on the person tho really, i like gettin feedback for my work and knowing the tutors well but coudlnt really do that at cov.
but im more of a design person and the enginering side put me off.
Butler

6th Nov 05 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im considering doing auto design, what skills does it require? Currently doing a btec national diploma in art.
Tom N

6th Nov 05 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do automotive tech at sheffield hallam.

The first year was crap to be honest didnt really get into it until now (2nd year)

Just remember a course like this is mostly theoretical and maths etc like brad said.
Gav S

6th Nov 05 at 20:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I started transport and product design at Cov this year, it's goin pretty well so far, as antscorsa said, theres way too many people on the course and it'll be tough getting a job at the end of it, but you need a lot of skill and determination! Yeh corsash is in his 4th year
ed

6th Nov 05 at 20:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Butler
Im considering doing auto design, what skills does it require? Currently doing a btec national diploma in art.
I needed two B's and a C minimum to do Automotive Product Design. You also need to be able to do engineering maths (though most people have only done GCSE maths and we're being taught to basics at the moment)....
Butler

6th Nov 05 at 20:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got maths gcse, what did you need 2 b's and a c in??
ed

6th Nov 05 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh shit, should have said that was A levels.....
Butler

6th Nov 05 at 20:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got 2 c's at as, but im now doin the national diploma which accounts for the equivelant of 4 a levels apparently, going to do a degree when ive finished but not sure what in. Im not too good at maths though so it doesnt look promising.
ed

6th Nov 05 at 20:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Neither was I, but the teaching is a lot better to what happens at school... Go look at some courses and see what you think. Can't hurt trying
Butler

6th Nov 05 at 20:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What sort of stuff does the course cover, is there much IT work or art based work or is it mostly on the technical side?
ed

6th Nov 05 at 20:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's more of an engineering course so there is maths, computer aided design/machining bench work, busniness management and a few other things. There are quite a few Ba design courses about if you are into Art more than Engineering...
bradfincham

6th Nov 05 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

read through ucas,

i looked at
lancashire, coventry, herts, oxford brookes, swansea for motorsport eng,

chose herts as we get hands on, our facilities engine dyno lab, etc are better, swansea and UCLAN both have race teams which we dont, but then i work with the caterhams and formula ford at weekends when im free, as being with uni team etc looks like u cant go into a workplace etc, formula student is a waste of time for me, year 1 was just designing, year 2 we make last years 3rd year car better which is better, but 40 people on one car, with the caterhams i get to make my changes and its me and the driver thats it, which i prefer as i have learnt sooo mcuh more from this.

But all depends what you want to do, but you have to realise you REALLY need to want it, to suceed in motorsport, its a lot of extra work and weekends!

Today i was at walter hayes trophy with my mate/driver that i spanner for, wasnt driving but always good to keep relations up

CorsAsh

7th Nov 05 at 00:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by saxo_corsa
I started transport and product design at Cov this year, it's goin pretty well so far, as antscorsa said, theres way too many people on the course and it'll be tough getting a job at the end of it, but you need a lot of skill and determination! Yeh corsash is in his 4th year

It seems like a lot of people, but it has a high rate of attrition, by the 2nd year we were down to about 90 people I reckon, and then it reduces again as the transport and product sides go their separate ways.

It is hard work, and you do have to do a lot of planning yourself, but it's what you make of it in the end. Going well for me (touching some wood now), had a lot of fun to be honest, and working with Prodrive has been awesome.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Motorsport Engineering .. 23 database queries in 0.0124230 seconds