corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Parcel shelf

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Parcel shelf
skell

User status: Offline
   6th Jan 06 at 22:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cant find any naswers for this Can i use my standard one for 2 6x9's Or do i need to make a heavy one from mdf? Int this dead heavy an will murder me 1.0
danny boyo

6th Jan 06 at 22:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u can use ya standard one but if u have heavey speakers it will rattle like fuck
skell

6th Jan 06 at 23:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Will it not bend though i reckon bit of the old blue tac or summot could sort it to save a bit of weight
Planty02

7th Jan 06 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

shouldnt bend mate - mine hasn't

If it does u could just reinforce it with a small piece of mdf
MR2Mike

7th Jan 06 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will sound shite... BUT if youre doing it anyway, no it wont bend, but it will rattle like fuck.

enjoy
Kyle T
Premium Member

8th Jan 06 at 11:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It will sag and sound shit.

Thinkabout it, a decent MDF shelf and speakers arent gonna weigh anywhere near a person - and is your car that much slower with 2up?

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi
Jake

8th Jan 06 at 21:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont ruin a perfectly good parcel shelf, they are becoming sought after these days. Hack up abit of mdf.
Wrighty

8th Jan 06 at 22:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake
dont ruin a perfectly good parcel shelf, they are becoming sought after these days. Hack up abit of mdf.

whs
JayC

9th Jan 06 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by jake

Exactly, vauxhall will want over a ton for a new one and you'll have to pay £40+ for one from a scrappy.

Don't do it, just put a sub in the boot and some good speakers up front.
Ricky-Lee53

9th Jan 06 at 13:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I skipped mine. LOL.

Why not get a decent set of front speakers. Then you wont add any weight and it will sound ten times better.
If you must get 6*9s Get a MDF shelf
come on.. its never going to be quick is it.. A 18mm doubled up MDF shelf will wiegh about the same as a gallon or 2 of petrol?
Will sound so much better as well.*

* 6x9s... should only play 100hz<lower because there behind you
PK1
Banned

9th Jan 06 at 21:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I did this in my original corsa 1.0 and it bent like fuck after about 2 weeks and rattled

when I sold the car it was #15 for a new shelf from scrappie
Richie

10th Jan 06 at 17:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guys cmon lets start giving decent answers instead of pure opinion.

The answer to your question is Yes, it can be done however it is recommended to not use 6x9's with huge magnets on. Also if you want better sound from them, you would be better off building or purchasing an MDF shelf, however they will work fine without one.
PK1
Banned

10th Jan 06 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they wont work fine without one, Richie, because it bends and then the boot wont shut properly and then the bits of string/elastic that the shelfs conncted to hatchback lid with pull on it constantly and strain it then its never the same again

so you get crap looking shelf, faulty boot lid that falls on your head, damaged carpet inside boot lid from friction from bent shelf, ultimately the shelf caves in and your speakers fall through

these were my experiences anyway (X reg 1.0)
skell

11th Jan 06 at 13:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks for all opinions and advice lol but i'm now more confused than when i started........... so will my car fall to bits if i use my standard shelf Think i might just make a nice MDF one then got the speakers bought for me so its definetely 6x9s in the back +++++ dont want a sub taking up my boot, might fit some speakers in front if i get some cheap but not really that bothered tbh
PK1
Banned

11th Jan 06 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your car certainly wont fall to bits, though the shelf will and it will put strain on the hatchback boot lid if you continue to use the elastic bits that make the shelf go up with the boot

In conclusion, the 6x9s will be much better off on an MDF shelf, as if you put them in your standard one, you will only end up doing the job again in 2 - 8 weeks, then the shelf folds in and gives way.

save your original shelf, build a 20mm thick MDF one.
Richie

11th Jan 06 at 20:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you do it properly I guarantee your shelf will work fine. Ive done several including my brothers and his is very sturdy.
Adam.Morgan

13th Jan 06 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone got pictures of their parcel shelfs and what they have done to it, i need ideas i want to put a few speakers in the parcel shelf and a boot build?

New Poll