corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Gearbox Upgrade?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gearbox Upgrade?
Kimme

User status: Offline
31st Oct 06 at 14:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Down the line i am planning on modifying my GSi and making it turbo... i've got a plan set out for everything, except the gearbox..

The way i'm modifying the internals, means that it will be really easy to get some serious power out of the engine when i can afford a bigger turbo..

Now.. when it comes to gearboxes, are there any that will match straight up with the x16xe? Maybe the F20?

Just anything that will allow me to get the torque outta the box without the worry of killing it...

Suppose i can always wait til i kill the box then figure something out, but females like to plan ahead you see!
Stu

31st Oct 06 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Id just rebuild yours using straight cut quaife internals and diff!!!

Will whine like a banshee!!!!
Robin
Premium Member

31st Oct 06 at 14:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

F17, from an Astra is the strongest smallblock box you can get.

thats rated up to 170lb/ft.
Jambo

31st Oct 06 at 14:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i cant remember weather F25 was big or small block?

Maybe that?
Robin
Premium Member

31st Oct 06 at 14:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

big Jambo.
Jambo

31st Oct 06 at 14:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wont fit on a LET though thats why i was confused Something to do with bellhousings?
Tom

31st Oct 06 at 14:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go for the straight cut, I must say though I hope you're doing the turbo conversion properely. Never heard of a 16xe with big turbo and big boost/power living

[Edited on 31-10-2006 by Tom]
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

31st Oct 06 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

can I be the first to say:

unless you have LOADS of cash to spend on doing a turbo conversion properly, dont bother.

get Tb's instead.
Rob H

31st Oct 06 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Dave A
unless you have LOADS of cash to spend on doing a turbo conversion properly, dont bother.

get Tb's instead.

Surely it depends what power you want though? To gain full advantage of TB's you really should upgrade the pistons to pocketed ones, which allows you to run much wilder cams.

The only reason TB's are "cheaper" is that you can do it in more stages, whereas a turbo conversion has to be done together before any reliable benifits can be made.
Robin
Premium Member

31st Oct 06 at 15:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

a turbo conversion done properly will need low compression pistons anyway, so it'll cost just as much as a tb set up.
Rob H

31st Oct 06 at 15:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
a turbo conversion done properly will need low compression pistons anyway, so it'll cost just as much as a tb set up.

That's what i'm trying to say .

The benifits of a turbo though are that you don't need to start uprating the head, valvetrain, and most moving parts to cope with the increased engine speeds needed to extract the power. The problem with a turbo is heat dissipation/absorbtion, which with the aid of decent sized intercooler, and venting etc is easier to sort than an engine that wan't to shake itself to pieces cause it's going 30% faster than it was desinged too!
Kimme

31st Oct 06 at 23:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hehe, I realise this will cost me a fortune, but it's sorta like a project to me, things will be done in stages.

First things i'm gonna be doing are pistons and conrods. Not sure about the crank, i've heard people say they can take a lot! Only upgrades i've found for them are lightweight ones.
Robin
Premium Member

31st Oct 06 at 23:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, the standard crank will be fine, as long as you don't rev to more than 9500 rpm
Dave A
USER UNDER INVESTIGATION - DO NOT TRADE

1st Nov 06 at 09:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin

I costed up a proper turbo conversion for the x16xe. it would cost around £5k to be done properly

turbo and manifold: £1000
low comp forged pistons: £600
arp rod bolts: £100
SDB rollers: £100
pipework: £300
intercooler: £250
mantzel inlet: £500
headwork: £250
exhaust: £300
aftermarket management: £600
Loom: £300
Mapping: £400

and thats based on doing EVERYTHING yourself exept the mapping and headwork. then theres costs like gaskets and other bits. I wouldnt expect more than 170bhp either.

for £5k you could build a 200 bhp tb'd x16xe which will be reliable and more fun
Corsa E-Tec

1st Nov 06 at 10:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as dave say's to do it properly is big cash, i added it up when i was gonna do mine and it cam in at 3500 without mapping, gaskets and other bits and peices.
Cybermonkey

1st Nov 06 at 12:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if you are after a strong smallblock gearbox, go for the F17. nice ratios, found in many vauxhalls, and its tough as nails. an ausie holden barina has been using the original gearbox on a 330bhp turbo Z18XE for quite a while now and its just fine

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Gearbox Upgrade? 23 database queries in 0.0180080 seconds