corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rusty corsas really do suck balls - gutted :(

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Rusty corsas really do suck balls - gutted :(
ChrisBoom

User status: Offline
12th Jun 07 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Was changing my oil today, well, got as far as the filter, and could not get the bastard off, no matter how hard i tried. While I was struggling away at the filter, I noticed a plug was loose from the radiator, tried to plug it back in, but it wouldnt reach. Then noticed that the radiator had actually collapsed down, as the bottom rad mounts had fucking rotted away

Then checked the water, all gone, fucking radiator had cracked on the right, just under the hose conenctor. Dont know when it happened either, it didnt happen as I was doing the oil as I would of noticed the cooling system emptying itself , I had run the car too, while I was warming the engine up to change the oil, running with no water for a wee while wouldnt affect a 8v much though?

Oh aye, another bastard! I was also changing my rocker gasket, while I was re-fitting it, one of the bolts snapped in the head , will this one bust bolt affect it?

So, overall, bust radiator, cant get the oil filter off, and the rocker cover bolt snapped

[Edited on 12-06-2007 by ChrisBoom]
nova_gteuk

12th Jun 07 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

screw driver through the oil filter and twist.
Kurt

12th Jun 07 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

oil filter, good old screw driver right through it and turn anti clockwise (may need correcting)
rad, depends how warm it ran but no coolant isnt good, can cause your cylinder head to crack/warp and head gasket failure
bolt, cant see it being too much of a problem
ChrisBoom

12th Jun 07 at 16:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah, off to do the screwdriver just now.

We had another radiator around somewhere, hope it hasnt been thrown

Ill just cable-tie it up methinks.
ChrisBoom

12th Jun 07 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Found the reason for the radiator falling.

The entire crossmember is just hanging there, held up by the tie bars, totally rotten either end.

I think before I had it, it had been in a write-off accident, as the crash bar is bent in the middle, and the little strip of metal that the temperature sensor is mounted on is buckled, torn away from the crossmemer.

Totally gutted, as the car is worth nothing now, and worthless braking for spares as theres nothing on it anyone would want
nova_gteuk

12th Jun 07 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cross member is £60 brand new on ebay.get it welded on,job done.
Dee
Banned

12th Jun 07 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am suprised to hear that Corsas are rotting away like this.
STEvieXE

12th Jun 07 at 18:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some serious rusty corsas about.

easiest thing to do is. remove the fron end components. remove seam sealer around the cross member. mark it around where it was. drill it off. clean new one uo and weld it on. not a big job. half a days work. paint it satin black to keep costs down
ChrisBoom

12th Jun 07 at 18:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by STEvieXE
some serious rusty corsas about.

easiest thing to do is. remove the fron end components. remove seam sealer around the cross member. mark it around where it was. drill it off. clean new one uo and weld it on. not a big job. half a days work. paint it satin black to keep costs down

Yeah, think Ill do that.

If i do fix it all up, im getting a new slam panel and crossmember too, then do the whole lot at once.

No job atm tho, so it will have to wait. Need a new rad now too
STEvieXE

12th Jun 07 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as said before, get soem sperious panels, cost u peanuts. not worth buying genuine panels for year of the car etc.

just remember mark around the old panels befroe u drill them off and ull not be far wrong
ChrisBoom

12th Jun 07 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just priced up a few new bits, for a new cross member, slam panel, and crash bar, im looking around £125.

Dont know If ill even bother, ill see what I can get for it, if it doesnt sell, then ill fix it up. If i do it, im taking the engine out and cleaning up the whole bay, spray it satin black, and stick a 1.4 sri engine in.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Rusty corsas really do suck balls - gutted :( 23 database queries in 0.0096641 seconds