corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » HELP - Looking at corsa 2day, HPI?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author HELP - Looking at corsa 2day, HPI?
moddedcorsa

User status: Offline
   8th Mar 03 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi, I am going to look at a 1.0 12v corsa for my first car, its w-reg, reg, 30,000 miles, Fsh, £3100

I have been working weekends and holidays, saving for a car since i was 14 so dont want to end up with a write off or stolen or sumfin

What info do i need to hev when getting an hpi check done?
Reg, Vin number, what else also where can any other codes/numbers that are needed be found?

Please help
Also do hpi accept Solo when getting a check done over the phone?
Makarus

8th Mar 03 at 11:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well first of all dont bother with a 1.0 12V go for a 1.2 16V for that money, low insurance even for a 17 year old. My 1.2 8V is in the same insurance group as a 1.2 16V and its a lot slower.
Red_SXi

8th Mar 03 at 11:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd agree, the 1.0 12v is usually getting a bit knackered at abuot 40k-ish, you wont have as many miles out of it as you would a 1.2 16v
moddedcorsa

8th Mar 03 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah, in ideally im after a 1.2 16v sxi but ive been looking for soooooo long and this is a good buy for a w-reg. up here a p-reg 1.2 for example would be about £2k - 2.5k so this is a decent price.

Anyway the 1.0 isnt much slower than the 1.28v bit quicker 2 60 but 1.2 has higher top speed.

Any 1 else?
moddedcorsa

8th Mar 03 at 11:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Red_Sxi
I'd agree, the 1.0 12v is usually getting a bit knackered at abuot 40k-ish, you wont have as many miles out of it as you would a 1.2 16v

Is this true???
Makarus

8th Mar 03 at 11:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fairly, but more like 70,000 before you get problems. The 8v will run for years as they are solid engines, the 16v is a good long lasting car too, not as good as 8v in terms of lasting.

Dont bother with a too new car, get stung about £50 for every year difference. Go a little later, its your first car you aint going to be doing a lot of milage so you dont need a new car.

When you look for a car though, anything that has done 10,000 miles a year or less is normally a pretty safe bet.
moddedcorsa

8th Mar 03 at 11:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ok cheers mate, well any help on the HPI?? As im going to need to know this anyway!

Ps wot are 1.0 12v owners opinions on them? i no they r gonna b slow, but any 1 had major probs with the engines etc??
Red_SXi

8th Mar 03 at 11:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've driven a few 1.0 12v's. It dont seem very slow, it needs a bit of revving, and one thing i really didnt like was the clutch, when you are trying to hold it on the clutch at a junction it is very rough, and is hard to keep it still compared to a 1.2 16v, ot 1.2 8v.

The 1.0 12v is also very bad for the idle control valve, trust me my dad owns a driving school
Anubis

8th Mar 03 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well i had a 1.0 and they are fine for a first car there only real problem is overtaking cos unless your behind a trackter you cant overtake

[Edited on 08-03-2003 by Anubis]
moddedcorsa

8th Mar 03 at 12:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thanks every 1!! How much is an idle control valve? also is it easy enough to change??

Any help on the Hpi situation, sum of u must have done an hpi check??
Red_SXi

8th Mar 03 at 12:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad got the vauxhall garage to replace all of his Idle Control valves, they told him its an ongoing problem that they are aware of, so they will continue to change it for free

New Poll