corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Gordon Strachan stealing my thoughts

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Gordon Strachan stealing my thoughts
Edd

User status: Offline
13th Nov 07 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ginger twat stealing my idea

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/7090961.stm

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
what would be good though is if say 50 teams broke away from their respective countries leagues made their own 3 tier league set up and gave a big fuck you to uefa
dave17

13th Nov 07 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

never happen, ever
Hammer

13th Nov 07 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The ginger twat

It will happen eventually imo Europe has a similar land mass to America, it has almost entirely a uniform currency and legally you only need a driving licence to move between boundaries. Only those that are short sighted will think it won't happen.
dave17

13th Nov 07 at 16:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

RACISM
Mather.16v

13th Nov 07 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

it will happen eventually, im not sure if it will be for the good of the game or supporters but it would be very exciting all the same

anythings possible in football with the money being thrown about, 10 years ago nobody would have thought footballers would be on 120k+
Danny P

13th Nov 07 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is a shite idea anyways
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

13th Nov 07 at 19:28   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

this has been speculated for years
richard_cooper

13th Nov 07 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I will happen, money will make sure of that
antscorsa

13th Nov 07 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as if your gna travel to anothe country every week to watch your team!!
wont ever happen
Hammer

13th Nov 07 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're missing the point, Europe is almost identical to America in size and it works there for numerous sports. People are getting hung up on imaginary boundary lines.

If the money men, and ultimately the television companies, want it it will happen FIFA, UEFA, G14 you name it, nothing will stop them.
Danny P

13th Nov 07 at 22:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by antscorsa
as if your gna travel to anothe country every week to watch your team!!
wont ever happen

TV wont care about that as they will just buy the rights to the games, then make the fans pay a subscription to watch the games, and make a shed load of cash.

Clubs wont care as they will get a load of money from Leauge who sold the games to the TV companies.

Only people to lose out will be the fans.
Russ

13th Nov 07 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

americas boundries and europes boundries are different, personally, i think its a long way off. fans would be in up roar and would ruin football in general. a premiership where evertons and blackburns are the big teams? would be shit.
Hammer

13th Nov 07 at 22:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Different how? they are almost identical in size, we now use the same currency almost blanketly and moving between countries is just about as easy as moving within 1
chris-sri

14th Nov 07 at 02:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That would ruin football. Can you imagine the real fans being able to afford to go to Ac Milan away one week and then Barcelona away two weeks later. The Champions League is the competition for the best teams in Europe and it should stay that way. This cropped up a few years back and never went anywhere.
Russ

14th Nov 07 at 07:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Different how? they are almost identical in size, we now use the same currency almost blanketly and moving between countries is just about as easy as moving within 1
language barriers for a start. but cost to fans would be stupidly high, like chris said, return flight to barcelona saturday, 150 quid + ticket, milan wednesday, 150 quid + ticket, madness imho
Hammer

14th Nov 07 at 09:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The prices of flights are coming down all the time, i'm not saying it's going to happen now but some time in the future if the men running the clubs want a European super league they'll get it.
Cosmo

14th Nov 07 at 10:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cant see it happening (atleast for a long long long long time) and agree that it would ruin football.

The way I see it is that if you had a European league then you basically scrap any chances of a European cup, as that special nature of playing the top foreign teams would be lost as they'd be in your league. And at the moment the joint revenue of the CL and the national league (especially the Prem) wouldnt be the same as the amount brought in by a single combined league.

Then you have other problems like away support, as this would almost 100% be lost. Hooliganism would start to rise its ugly head again as it becomes a country vs country thing again. No European Cup comps. The fall of the domestic league as the money coming into that would be tiny compared to a European League so no player would want to be anywhere else week in week out. Etc. etc.

Im sure it would be an exciting thing to watch, and would love to see those sorts of matches all the time at Anfield, but I certainly wouldnt want it to happen in my time.
Cosmo

14th Nov 07 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
The prices of flights are coming down all the time

Its not just price of flights...its more a matter of time which is more of a barrier.
Hammer

14th Nov 07 at 10:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll get broken down into sections like America, the time and travel issue is a non starter. They have a model across the pond and it works.
Cosmo

14th Nov 07 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
It'll get broken down into sections like America, the time and travel issue is a non starter. They have a model across the pond and it works.

They get fuck all away fans in the US, not compared to what we get over here when you take into account the relatively small catchment area of the teams.
Edd

14th Nov 07 at 10:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hammer talks sense it will happen
Hammer

14th Nov 07 at 10:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Doesn't hinder the sport though? the richest sportsmen in the world are all American.
Hammer

14th Nov 07 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Edd
hammer talks sense it will happen

I just had to double check who posted that there
Cosmo

14th Nov 07 at 10:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Doesn't hinder the sport though? the richest sportsmen in the world are all American.

America has never had an atmosphere like domestic footy games though, it has always been over such a large area. Where as our fans know a good atmoshpere with away fans being present, and I really really doubt they'd want (and possibly allow) it to happen.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Gordon Strachan stealing my thoughts 24 database queries in 0.0152099 seconds