corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » False Ceilings

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author False Ceilings
Andrew

User status: Offline
27th Nov 07 at 21:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After peoples thoughts really.

I've a ground floor flat which a concrete ceiling, plaster board and some plaster. The paint is a kind of bumpy effect. Looks alright and not damaged in any way but doesn't look modern at all.

Rather than getting it re skimmed, i'm thinking of getting false ceilings. This meaning i can use the space under the ceiling to run cables through. Mainly networking cables and a phone line, possible some TV cabling in there too. But also get spot light put into the false ceiling.
sigibbons

27th Nov 07 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Find out the max depth of your downlighters. Also what space they need around them.
Then construct a ceiling with suitable sized timbers and plasterboard then skim and paint.
Tom J
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

28th Nov 07 at 00:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely whatever you do it will need skimming anyway? i would be tempted to just have it reskimmed and put some cable conduit stuff but you could put a false ceiling in i guess, would it not be easier to bring the cables at floor height otherwise you will have wires coming down from the ceiling everywhere?
Andrew

28th Nov 07 at 08:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm just thinking i can lower it a little and run cables through.
Kathryn W

28th Nov 07 at 12:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Our kitchen has that artex shite on the ceiling... Our rooms are like 10 foot tall if not more, therefore its hard to reach

We got a plaster man in the other day to do a quote and he said that he wouldnt touch it its that bad, so my mum now is wanting to put a false ceiling in and lowering it, along with putting in some spot lights, think they got quoted about £500-£1k but our kitchen/dining room is big aswell as tall
Andrew

28th Nov 07 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to do most of it myself
MikeE

28th Nov 07 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

andrew do u mean a suspended ceiling like in offices with a metal grid and 600mm x 600mm ceiling tiles? as that will be expensive
andys sxi
Premium Member

28th Nov 07 at 18:50   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i think thats what he means i fit suspended ceilings and they r quite expensive

April 08 feature car
Jay

28th Nov 07 at 21:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No I think he means a False ceiling, Plaster board and plaster so its smooth and can then be painted.

We put ours up in the kitchen in a few hours, Made a wooden frame and screwed the plasterboard to it, skimmed it, piece of piss, it cost roughly £100-£120 all in.

[Edited on 28-11-2007 by JayM]
Colin

28th Nov 07 at 23:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive got some tongue & groove plastic ceiling in my bathroom.

Looks ok, quite expensive for what it is though!!
AK

29th Nov 07 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We're going to do that in our new en-suite. Its a brick/granite extensione though, so no access above, from other rooms etc.
The roofs are about 3m+ high so we can afford to lose some height. Thats the main concern with false/lowered cealings.

Easy enough to frame with 2x4 or something and just plaster board.... bish bosh

taping and skimming is also quite easy with the right plaster and tools.
Andrew

29th Nov 07 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm after something that i can really get under and move cables around if and when needed. Office tiles would be ideal but that's not really homely.
andys sxi
Premium Member

30th Nov 07 at 18:02   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u could have it plaster boarded and plastered but have access panels in so u can get ur cable over could have 2 or 3 of them

April 08 feature car
MikeE

3rd Dec 07 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what u need is 3x2 cls studwork timber to build a false ceiling put joists at 400mm centres and bord with 12mm plaster bord, if you want access to oulter wirring you can get loft hatches which are skimmed over so they are less noticable.
baza31

4th Dec 07 at 12:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you will need 4.5" for spots using sealed fire rated downlighters. False ceilings are the way forward
Gregor

8th Dec 07 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Another option :

Provided that the ceiling is fairly flat and level , find the joists and nail 2x1 to the joists at 600 centres then sheet. Ames tape and fill.

Much easier to do , and you dont lose as much height in the room. We always do this !
Gary
Premium Member

16th Dec 07 at 00:17   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive just lowered the ceiling in the resturant at my pub. Just used a shit load of 3x2 and plaster board.

But as gregor said, make sure the joists are spaced 600mm ctr to ctr. Or you'll have a right laugh tryin to board it.

Also if its a bif room, i suggest a auto feed screwdriver. Best thing i bought when doing my ceiling.

Oh, you'll also need to hanger the joists, i used some fixing band was easy enuff to do.

New Poll