corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » V6 Brakes

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author V6 Brakes
Daimo B

User status: Offline
17th Jan 08 at 16:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by barter
its your opinon mate but running both on the let nova and xe corsa both was running 2ltr ones to start and if you cant afford brake upgrades v6's are the next best thing.also if you value your life? whats all that about lol

If you have value for life. Pretty simplistic comment really, you really cannot not understand it.

V6's arn't good enough for LET's, my opinion yup, and Donna has a set of brand new reconditioned V6's brakes, MTec rear beam and matching disc setup. From the moment I drove it, the brakes are NOT good enough.

You can have your opinions, thats fine, but V6's are budget and i'd say a good setup of 2.0 16v is a better option. Otherwise, don't scrimp out (on a £3k conversion, £500 more isn't really much), get a set of 4 pots.
D1 DDH

17th Jan 08 at 16:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got mine for £3.20 off fleabay
barter

17th Jan 08 at 16:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

risking your life? mate youneed to chill when you get in a car and feal the brakes you automatcially get this fealing for them so you no when to slow down etc.all brakes will stop you in the end just take more distance.okay yeh in a suddern stop you could be screwed but you should no the distance you need to stop.pretty simple realy init.
Daimo B

17th Jan 08 at 16:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I cannot believe you just wrote that

"brakes will stop you in the end just take more distance" Nice if the obstruction is in front of you.

"yeh in a suddern stop you could be screwed" Well isn't that the idea of having proper brakes

" but you should no the distance you need to stop" Yes because if something were to happen you would always avoid it, that it why there is NEVER any accidents involving motor vehicals.

Im not telling you what to do with your life, its your life. But it seems i value my life a considerable amount more, and advising people the best option.

ANd in this case, it isn't worth his money to upgrade, as he wont have any improvment.

Simple innit geez, i aint from saarrrfeend at all. Bo.......
barter

17th Jan 08 at 16:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol funny part about sarrrrrrrfeend that fella im not either.v6's brakes are fine and a better upgrade to 2ltr and ta stop you having a little cry about it ill say in my opinion
Robin
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 16:43   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had 2 litre brakes and V6 brakes. The V6 ones were better, far better.

I NEVER got the V6s to fade, but the 2 litre ones faded left right and centre, they also warped, and showed signs of wear after a couple of thousand miles.

The V6 ones covered the same distance and looked like new (just ask Rick Draper how 'new' they were when he had the car) and they didn't warp.

People always complain about V6 brakes having a crap pedal, but mine didn't, neither did Broster's when he had a normal pedal box.

I could brake later and stop quicker with the V6 ones, and they didn't feel any different under the foot than the 2 litres, so, to me, that's a good set of brakes.
Daimo B

17th Jan 08 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Who's crying? We have 4 pots to go on thanks. We try not to cut corners......

Robin, see thats how you reply barter, put some facts, in an English worded sentance.

Robin, see the 2.0 16v we had were re-conditioned. When i first put them on, they were very poor, bad pedal, bad brakes. Once the seals etc had been replaced (and new disks/pads) they were an awesome setup.

I've had my V6's on since 2002 now, and tried different pad/disc combinations, re-bled the whole braking systems etc.

THe only time its really improved is when we done the rear discs (on my car) and the pedal got better.

But i've had the discs go blue with heat, and not on a particulary "hard" outing. And we checked for sticking pistons too and that wasn't the case. My discs are solid. We've not had Donnas go like that, but never pushed that car hard enough. But when your doing 3 figure speeds, the pedal goes down, brakes, but not very well. I don't want her driving it again till the 4 pots are on.

Donna had her V6/rear disc done at the same time as each other. Hers is better than mine is (none ABS 1.4 sport Vs ABS 1.6 GSI) in terms of pedal, but the braking can so vastly be improved its untrue.

But then I also feel the astra brakes are only "ok" yes they stop the car, but damn they could be an AWFUL lot better.

See barter, this is how you DISCUSS the brakes/.

[Edited on 17-01-2008 by VXR]
barter

17th Jan 08 at 16:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
Who's crying? We have 4 pots to go on thanks. We try not to cut corners......

barter

17th Jan 08 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Robin
I had 2 litre brakes and V6 brakes. The V6 ones were better, far better.

I NEVER got the V6s to fade, but the 2 litre ones faded left right and centre, they also warped, and showed signs of wear after a couple of thousand miles.

The V6 ones covered the same distance and looked like new (just ask Rick Draper how 'new' they were when he had the car) and they didn't warp.

People always complain about V6 brakes having a crap pedal, but mine didn't, neither did Broster's when he had a normal pedal box.

I could brake later and stop quicker with the V6 ones, and they didn't feel any different under the foot than the 2 litres, so, to me, that's a good set of brakes.

R1CH

17th Jan 08 at 17:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by VXR
I cannot believe you just wrote that

"brakes will stop you in the end just take more distance" Nice if the obstruction is in front of you.

"yeh in a suddern stop you could be screwed" Well isn't that the idea of having proper brakes

" but you should no the distance you need to stop" Yes because if something were to happen you would always avoid it, that it why there is NEVER any accidents involving motor vehicals.

Im not telling you what to do with your life, its your life. But it seems i value my life a considerable amount more, and advising people the best option.

ANd in this case, it isn't worth his money to upgrade, as he wont have any improvment.

Simple innit geez, i aint from saarrrfeend at all. Bo.......

So funny!!!

2.0 brakes are better on a Corsa by far, the corsa master cylinder doesnt really hold up for the V6, hence why you get a lot more pedal travel and the spongey feeling

If your gonna drive your car hard then 4 pots is the best option, 288 and 308mm brakes are both shit, single piston calipers are not the way forward!
jr

17th Jan 08 at 17:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i went from V6 back to 256mm 16v set up, much better

[Edited on 17-01-2008 by jr]
broster
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 17:15   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

v6 brakes on mine at the moment, will be changing them soon tho, however i found my v6 brakes to be more than up to the job
R1CH

17th Jan 08 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by broster
found my v6 brakes to be more than up to the job

You not going fast enough then
Olsrey

17th Jan 08 at 17:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Robin
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 17:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by R1CH
quote:
Originally posted by broster
found my v6 brakes to be more than up to the job

You not going fast enough then

broster
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 17:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

only had a 1.6 sorry
DAZ1985

17th Jan 08 at 17:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

V6 on redstuff seem to stop me well enough

never had 256 to compare to but i will admit the v6 calipers feel spongy

v6 on standard pads are shit imo didnt take much to fade them, i've recently fitted redstuff and have failed in fading them so far
broster
Premium Member

17th Jan 08 at 17:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had braided lines alround, ds2500 pads black diamond combidiscs and a rear disc conversion, stopped a treat
SportBoy

17th Jan 08 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to have the 285mm 2ltr brake upgrade kit on mine and thought they were abit better than the v6s ive had on better feel and didnt fade as quick .. didnt rate the v6s at all .. might work ok with an xe/1.6 but not a let

[Edited on 17-01-2008 by SportyBoy]
Ste L

17th Jan 08 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quite a few people on novaload prefer the 16v setup over v6's on there track nova's too
Daimo B

18th Jan 08 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The overal brakes are better. Yes they will fade quicker (if your foot don't go down to the floor eventually :lol from high speeds, but the braking pressure, response etc outweigh the overal brake fade, of which can be fixed by uprated pads and discs anyway. WE've not got the V6's feeling any better bar the addition or rear disc beam. We've both got braided lines all round too.

Suprising to see the other replies on here with different opinions. All of which are constructive. Ayiiiiii
davcohen

18th Jan 08 at 11:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i had valver brakers on my Corsa Gsi and they were deff up to the job, just remove the ABS fuse and you will notice a massive difference.

My ABS was kicking it before it was even needed giving you crap feel and extending the braking distance

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » V6 Brakes 23 database queries in 0.0145018 seconds