corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » recover data from unrecognised external harddrive

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author recover data from unrecognised external harddrive
James@CCC

User status: Offline
10th Feb 08 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my external harddrive has stopped doing anything when i plug it in. i tried several cables and dif computers and it just no longer does anything.

does anyone have any suggestions?

if not how can i get the data from the drive? as cheap as possible. if i took it to someone how much would they charge?

also i found this http://www.runtime.org/gdb.htm which looks like it could do it but i dont fully understand it...

[Edited on 10-02-2008 by James@CCC]
andy1868

10th Feb 08 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

theres no way of saying whether its the drive or the carrier that isn't working, my advice would be to take the drive out of its carrier and plug it into a computer and see if it works. this happened with mine, and fortunately it was the carrier that was shagged, so the the data was safe

[Edited on 10-02-2008 by andy1868]
James@CCC

11th Feb 08 at 12:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

erm, little too advanced for me. besides i dont have a computer i can plug it into, all i have is my laptop
_Allan_

11th Feb 08 at 12:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by James@CCC
erm, little too advanced for me. besides i dont have a computer i can plug it into, all i have is my laptop

It aint advanced, open up carrier, remove cables and unplug HD. Someone you know must have a PC you can plug it into for 10 mins?.

James@CCC

11th Feb 08 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

nope, im a student and everyone in my house and back home just has a laptop...
_Allan_

11th Feb 08 at 14:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

God damn students

Might have to pay out for something like this.
Should allow you to connect the HD to a usb port on the laptop, like an external drive but without the caddy.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-To-IDE-2-5-3-5-2-Connector-Adapter-Cable_W0QQitemZ230221157517QQihZ013QQcategoryZ41994QQtcZphotoQQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Oops just seen that does not come with a power adapter for the HD. Not sure if this can be used alone.

[Edited on 11-02-2008 by _Allan_]
James@CCC

11th Feb 08 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i know, i hate students too....

im not sure how comfortable i am taking the thing apart, i dont no wot im doing well enough. wot kind of company could i take it to and how much would they charge?
James@CCC

11th Feb 08 at 15:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

is this thing right http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/USB-2-0-TO-IDE-CABLE-CD-HDD-CONVERTER-POWER-ADAPTER-UK_W0QQitemZ230219686417QQihZ013QQcategoryZ41994QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

also what if it isnt the carrier?
_Allan_

11th Feb 08 at 15:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah that one looks better as it has a power supply. Thing is that's the risk you'll have to take. Does the carrier have any LED indicator on it?, can you hear it power up or see/hear the fan spin?.

If it aint the carrier then there is places who can recover your data from the drive if it's dead but it's expensive.

Maybe someone off the board closer to you can help you out and test the drive for you?. Maybe put a post up in one of the regional sections for some help.

Good luck.
James@CCC

11th Feb 08 at 15:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea it does have an led on it which still turns on, there no fan tho so i dont know about that.

i guess ill buy this thing and then if it still doesnt work with that is it knackered?
James@CCC

11th Feb 08 at 15:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just turned it on and had a listen, i can hear something ticking inside. (three ticks, break, three ticks, break etc.)

this good or bad?!

[Edited on 11-02-2008 by James@CCC]
_Allan_

11th Feb 08 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's really hard to say unless you've heard a failing drive before. Lots of crunching when the disc is being accessed is generally bad.

If you pay for the IDE connector and it doesn't work then you can sell on the connector for a small loss. I'm sure someone will want/need one.

As for data recovery if it's a failed drive, can be expensive. Lots of places offer this service but I've never used one before. Hopefuly someone else can recommend a place.

New Poll