corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa Red Top.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Corsa Red Top.
vtrlogan

User status: Offline
14th Mar 08 at 16:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey, ive had loads off people intrested in my saxo, and starting to look seriously for a corsa.

the problem with buying any car is how much i have.

as my birthday isnt that long away my dad has givin me the Saxo (in for sale section) as a early present.

but ive gotta get myself a corsa, just think they handle alot better and much more tuneable being 16v,

any way What price should i be looking at paying for a fairly neat 2.0l corsa B?

i can probaly only make 1500 thats why im looking for one that has some work needed, bodywork like spraying ect.. ive seen some go for silly prices which i should off snaped up straight away but ive also seen some go for amazing amouts off money.

Yeh... How much is reasable for a 2.0l 16v dont matter if its let or xe, with around 60k on clocks,

Cheers for help.

[Edited on 14-03-2008 by vtrlogan]
fir3vip3r

14th Mar 08 at 16:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

u wont get many around 60k on clocks mate engines are so old now. and the vtr will handle better than the corsa.

should get an ok redtop for £1500
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

14th Mar 08 at 16:41   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£1500 is a OK Corsa with a 20XE which may need some work on it. You will not have much choice when it comes to milage I'm afraid.

edit - also thinking about it, the suspension probably wont be anything great for £1500, you can make a 2ltr corsa handle but it requires a nice bundle of cash. My old one (see garage) had Leda Coilovers (best part of £1200) and a thicker anti roll bar by Whiteline (about £110~).. even then there was abit of room for improvement.

edit 2 - Tuning the 20XE isnt fantastic either IMO, the only real route is to fit throttle bodies and aftermarket management... if you want to go further like near and past 200bhp you need to look into cams/pistons (I'm sure someone here can correct me or give more info on this). By which time you could of spent £1500 (going-ish rate) on a LET engine and have 200bhp out of the box.

Depends what kind of power you want and insurance and funds and all sorts... I think the std 20XE is enough power, money should be spent on gearbox/suspension related items.

[Edited on 14-03-2008 by willay]

[Edited on 14-03-2008 by willay]
flybikeslee

14th Mar 08 at 16:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by vtrlogan

but ive gotta get myself a corsa, just think they handle alot better and much more tuneable being 16v,

ok about the 16v bit, but the handling.....
Daimo B

14th Mar 08 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by willay

Depends what kind of power you want and insurance and funds and all sorts... I think the std 20XE is enough power, money should be spent on

Totally.

Money should be spent on a good suspension, gearbox, and weight distribution, rather than outright power.

A well setup car will whoop a more powerfull car on a track.
vtrlogan

14th Mar 08 at 17:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh i have 1500 to buy the car with, then ill sort suspension in no time,

my mate has a 2.0 corsa on just 35mm springs and it grips alot better than mine, might be tyres but i do perfer corsa's style, feel like you can throw them about a bit more.
JM_16v

14th Mar 08 at 17:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

id recommend spending 1500-2000 and getting a xe with lots of history and lots of evidence
R Lee

14th Mar 08 at 17:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
yeh i have 1500 to buy the car with, then ill sort suspension in no time,

my mate has a 2.0 corsa on just 35mm springs and it grips alot better than mine, might be tyres but i do perfer corsa's style, feel like you can throw them about a bit more.

Have you driven the Corsa? Or just a passenger?
I have a lot more confidence in a VTR's handling tbh.
DannyB
Premium Member

14th Mar 08 at 17:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Like said previously you can get a decent 2.0 for about 1500 but it might be worth paying the extra few hundred if you can to get something a little bit better.Have you had any insurance quotes?

The vtr will be better handling, corsa's arent made to have 2.0 in so the front end is far heavier, no proper weight distribution.
vtrlogan

14th Mar 08 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

driven and owned, used to own a 1.6 track/field corsa, and they feel well more balanced compared to my saxo.

with good springs on a corsa, they will handle better than my vtr with 35mm pi springs.
vtrlogan

14th Mar 08 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tbh, the weight at the front helps it, in its own way, better off line, more traction, and once boot bould is added the front will easly be leveld out. the overstreet on my saxo is to much, u can throw a corsa round a corner and the back wont come out. may get some overstreer but thats gunna happen in any hatchback.

willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

14th Mar 08 at 17:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

R Lee

14th Mar 08 at 17:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
tbh, the weight at the front helps it, in its own way, better off line, more traction, and once boot bould is added the front will easly be leveld out. the overstreet on my saxo is to much, u can throw a corsa round a corner and the back wont come out. may get some overstreer but thats gunna happen in any hatchback.

The oversteer is from you not driving correctly in the bends. Don't lift off on the turn.
Jas

14th Mar 08 at 17:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

vts?
cash_2_my_corsa

14th Mar 08 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

buy my corsa b4 my m8 does
Whittie

14th Mar 08 at 18:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Redtop corsas are fun... pay for a decent one (£2k)
craig_s

14th Mar 08 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i got my 2.0 t-reg sport for £1400 with lot's of history and conversion receipts.there was a problem with the engine which they couldn't cure.turned out the knock sensor was unplugged.if you wait and keep looking on here,migweb,pistonheads a good one will turn up for a decent price.
Ste L

14th Mar 08 at 18:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jas
vts?

VTR going by his name Jay
mattk

14th Mar 08 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hes pointing out what he should buy maybe, Ste???
Ste L

14th Mar 08 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
hes pointing out what he should buy maybe, Ste???

i thought he was wondering if he was talking about a VTS

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Corsa Red Top. 23 database queries in 0.0176411 seconds