corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Sealing up my front door?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sealing up my front door?
ed

User status: Offline
28th Apr 08 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In my block of flats some people have just moved in and they smoke like fucking chimneys. My flat stinks of smoke now because the ventelator seems to be sucking in air from the corridor bringing in smokey air which is annoying me a lot.

The front door already has a seal on it but as it isn't a weather seal it's a bit flimsy. I think it should be more substantial anyway seeing as all the doors are fire doors but never mind...

Does anyome know of anything that I can stick on the door or in the shut to give me a better seal? Most the things I have seen are nail on and as the p lace is rented I can't really do that, plus I can't put holes in the door as it's a fire door anyway...

Thanks
dannymccann

29th Apr 08 at 08:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont suppose you could speak to the lettings agent / landlord about sorting it out? As it is a fire door surely it shouldnt let anything through unless its opened??
MikeE

29th Apr 08 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

should have smoke seals on it
ash_corsa

30th Apr 08 at 08:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Smoke seals only usualy work when they get hot, strips around the edge of the door expand in the door frame under heat, sealing the door in the event of a fire
stubbsy05

30th Apr 08 at 15:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If its the communal area they are smoking in, its now illegal for them to do so as its a public place. Get some fcuking great big signs up!
Aaron

30th Apr 08 at 15:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The guy who lives below my flat smokes out his window....i pour a pint glass or water out of my window every time

Simply because his smoke comes into my flat if i have my same window open

He's trying to sell his flat at the moment, i just happen to go on my decks when people come round to see it

[Edited on 30-04-2008 by Aaron]
myke

1st May 08 at 10:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The intumescent strips expand in the heat of a fire and close the door gaps keeping the door shut.
They should have either a rubber flipper seal or a brush seal in the casing of the strip to make it a bit of a better seal when in use.

Your best bet is to retro fit a stick on weather seal to either the frame or the edge of the door leaf.
You may also benefit from a screw on brush seal for the bottom of the door to help keep out the smell from below.

something like this should do the trick providing you don't have massive door gaps
http://www.screwfix.com/prods/33145/Ironmongery/Draught-Rain-Excluders/Weatherstrip/EPDM-Rubber-P-Strip-6mm-x-20m-White;jsessionid=K0TZPFJEOONZQCSTHZOCFFQ

and one of these http://www.screwfix.com/prods/99984/Ironmongery/Draught-Rain-Excluders/Rain-Draught-Excluders/Heavy-Duty-Brush-Seal-White-914mm;jsessionid=SIGGC03A5WOGUCSTHZOSFFI?ts=37719
ed

2nd May 08 at 13:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Alex.S
If its the communal area they are smoking in, its now illegal for them to do so as its a public place. Get some fcuking great big signs up!
I know but brown people have problems with co-operating with laws and behaving sociably.
ed

2nd May 08 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

But they have just put up no smoking signs in the corridors which is where I think it's coming from now rather than a next door flat... But it still smells
Jambo

5th May 08 at 22:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if all else fails Ed, start smoking you wont be able to tell the difference

New Poll