corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Domain Regs, Web Hosting, Emails etc.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Domain Regs, Web Hosting, Emails etc.
Mad Moe

User status: Offline
7th May 08 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have just set up a small construction company as a bit of a side too my Family Business and would like to register a domain, set up a very brief webpage and some pop 3 email accounts so my partner and I get emails to our Blackberries. the thing is we have little experience in this sort of thing and would like to keep initial costs to an minimum so I'm just after a bit of advice as to the cheapest way to achieve our goals and how best to go about getting it all up and running.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Dom

7th May 08 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you're confident with creating a website then you just need hosting and a domain(s).
If not, then look at all-in-one packages, but they aren't that cheap and are fairly restrictive in terms of making changes (usually have a fee for changes to be made) and future upgrades.

Eitherway, i would purchase your domain(s) first to prevent other people nabbing the name. Have a look at 1and1 and 123-reg (plenty of other sites about though) - .co.uk's are around £4 for two years, whereas a .com will cost your around £8-10 a year.
Mad Moe

7th May 08 at 15:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've seen the Domains I want on 123-Reg and I was just going to use one of their add on packages for the hosting andf email etc., just didn't know if there was a better or cheaper way of doing this? As for the website a friend of a friend is going to put something together for us for cheap
Mad Moe

7th May 08 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How much webspace and data transfer do you think would be required for a simple 5-6 page website including a Gallery of completed projects(perhaps 20-30 images)?
Dom

7th May 08 at 15:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

my advice after having my own problems is to purchase the domain at one place and the hosting at another - if one screws up then the whole lot doesn't go with it.

personally, i would look at vooservers and tsohost for hosting (both uk hosts and seem to be spot on so far) and then see if you can get the domain cheaper (google for domains, or .co.uk domains if you're after a .co.uk, .com domains if you're after a .com etc etc). Prices seem to have gone up from what i have stated though, £2.50 a year for a .co.uk is the cheapest i've found so far....

Also, email is usually included in with the hosting - ie: with my prem package at tsohost, i have 10GB of storage and 125GB of monthly bandwidth (probably a little extremem for what you're after) and that includes 500 email boxes and a load of subdomains etc etc
Neo

7th May 08 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also as your a business, make sure you buy the .com and .co.uk address and have the .com redirect.

This will mean if anyone only remembers www.mycontstructioncompany.....They are still going to find you.
Rab

7th May 08 at 15:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

www.one.com check that out
Mad Moe

7th May 08 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers for all the help guys, looks like I'm in for a busy night hunting for the best deal I can find.

New Poll