corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Wiring loom geeks in here please. Burnt out my dash loom.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wiring loom geeks in here please. Burnt out my dash loom.
Jakey
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   18th Jun 08 at 19:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yesterday i came to fit my speakers in my car, jigsawed, screwed etc, undid the old speaker in the plastic bit in the boot, extended the wire and went to wire up the first speaker.

During doing this i noticed my interior light wasnt on (drivers door was open) so i went to investigate. Turn my CD player on, nothing! Then i noticed the MFD wasnt working..

Fiddled with a few thing and it i found the CD player, MFD, horn and hazards didnt work. So i check the fuses and its the hazards one which has gone, put a new one in and it went bang straight away.

Spoke to my boss at work he said there must be a wire touching metal somewhere causing a short earth. Take all the speakers out again, put all the wiring back. Another fuse goes pop.

So i decide to get behind the cd player, low and behold the red wire (live ignition??) is just bare wire, look abit further and theres bits of other wires melted together from it.

Now, it may seem like a daft question but will this be the problem? If so how do i solve it? My mate suggested getting as far back and insulating it all, but the bare wire just goes as far as i can see.

Then he suggested a new dash loom? Is this the best idea?
If so how hard is it to do?

Thanks for reading and hopefully sorting my problems.

Jake
Kurt

18th Jun 08 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Jakey
Premium Member

18th Jun 08 at 19:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

GTF
chunk89

18th Jun 08 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i reckon a bitch because any work behind the dash is hard unless ur good at taking the whole dash off and putting it back on
Dan295

18th Jun 08 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dash loo will be a complete cnut to fit, just tape up the ends of the wires mate, sounds like someone has tried bodging a cd player, in there give us a sec and i will find out what that wire should/is going to
Kurt

18th Jun 08 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sell it on to Peter
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Jun 08 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It would probably be best to put a new dash loom in, but that would be quite hard.

The red wire is the constant power from the battery iirc so that is always powered with whatever the battery is putting out.

Try whacking some electrical tape round it for now and see if it stops blowing fuses.

Numberwang!

Originally posted by AlunJ
I like you Dave, you are a man of men

Originally Whatapp'd by Neo
Dave's maybe capable of a drive-by cuddle

Look at my pictures
Jakey
Premium Member

18th Jun 08 at 19:38   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well me and mate took my dash out of my old Corsa, wasnt to hard, just a ballache getting the steering wheel off!
Jakey
Premium Member

18th Jun 08 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thing is the wiring loom starts going around the back of the steering column where its still melted so id have to remove the dash anyways

What kind of wire would i use if say i just could the old crap one of and put my own in?

[Edited on 18-06-2008 by Jakey]
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Jun 08 at 19:40   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Take it off tomorrow or at the weekend then when you have proper daylight to work with, and tape up the wires, then see if it's any better.

Disconnect the battery before doing anything though. If you're not going to use the car then it may even be best disconnecting it until it's fixed so you don't have more fuses to replace, but I don't know if that will affect any of the electrical systems, possibly resetting one or more of them.

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
Jakey
Premium Member

18th Jun 08 at 19:42   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont REALLY need the car untill saturday morning and have all day tomorrow and friday until 4 to work on the car..
Dan295

18th Jun 08 at 19:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuse 1 the 20a is coming straight from the fuse, so its shorted on the bodywork creating a short, it should be in the back of the radio player, dig up the manual from the cd player and see if you can find out where the fuse connection goes and put the red wire in there, otherwise you can overload your cd player with no protection

[Edited on 18-06-2008 by Dan295]
Jakey
Premium Member

18th Jun 08 at 19:45   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So somewhere behind the dash the bare wire is touching bodywork..
Dan295

18th Jun 08 at 19:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

poss touching something metallic like the cd player cage, as that is what it would earth on
Daveskater
Premium Member

18th Jun 08 at 19:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That bit where the original radio bracket screws onto has slightly sharp edges round the back, it could be possible that it's rubbed on there when the car bounces etc and worn away the insulation.

Or there's something living behind your dash that's chewing on your wires

Numberwang!

Look at my pictures
dopydanny08

18th Jun 08 at 22:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just take the dash out and sort it out properly n put it all back together anit as hard as people say to change the dash loom took me 30 mins to take a dash out change the loom n put the dash bak in
Jakey
Premium Member

19th Jun 08 at 09:51   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only problem we had taking my old dash out was we couldnt get the steering wheel off without a long bar
pow
Premium Member

19th Jun 08 at 10:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We talk, MSN, hmmnyess?
Kurt

19th Jun 08 at 12:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Jakey
The only problem we had taking my old dash out was we couldnt get the steering wheel off without a long bar

undo the nut to the last few threads and then give it a few good pulls.. make sure the nut is on enough otherwise a trip to the dentists will be in order
pow
Premium Member

19th Jun 08 at 13:09   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Kurt
quote:
Originally posted by Jakey

undo the nut to the last few threads and then give it a few good pulls.. make sure the nut is on enough otherwise a trip to the dentists will be in order

Warren G style
dopydanny08

19th Jun 08 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

found a gd way to do it and works straight away after spending 2 hours trying to get 1 off we tied a tow rope round the bk of it n thn threw the steering wheel joined to another tow rope n hoocked it to a car n slowy gave it a nice tug n came straight off first time took 5 mins haha spent 2 hours b4 wacking n pulling n gettin very stressed at it
Dan295

19th Jun 08 at 19:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are you fucking serious

New Poll