corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Tweaking Settings (Fans + OC)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Tweaking Settings (Fans + OC)
Doug

User status: Offline
19th Jun 08 at 18:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right I have built my new computer and its all up and running pretty smoothly

Now its time to start tweaking with settings to get it just how I want it. Firstly I want to start with fan settings etc etc

Its a Asus P5K-3 board and I have installed all the relevant software that came with it.
The processor is a E8200 Dual Core and I have put an Arctic Freezer 7 Pro cooler on that.
The case is a Antec Sonata III.

My questions relate to fan settings and over clocking settings.

How do I control the fan speeds of both the case fan and the processor fan? (Case fan has been set to low manually by using the switch atm)

What sort of temps should I be looking at for all the componants when the cooling fans are set to low speed? (What are the safe temps)

Are there any good guides on how to overclock using the products I have mentioned?

Overall I am very happy with the build and I am sure this is just the start of desktop 'modding'
Dom

19th Jun 08 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

speedfan will control fans, although the temps it displays can be a little off. As for overclocking, i would really go have a look on the overclockers.co.uk forums as they have a number of guides that are really good - from the basics and explaining terminology to advance stuff, and cooling using water/peltiers etc
Russ

19th Jun 08 at 18:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you'll need a fan controller to control fans

forums.hexus.net has a basic c2d o/cing guide
Dom

19th Jun 08 at 19:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if fans are connected to the motherboard then most of the fan headers will be controllable (as long as you're using 3pin fans). Otherwise, yeah russ is right in that you'll need a fan controller widget - eg: http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=BB-000-XI&groupid=701&catid=57&subcat=189&name=Xilence%203.5%22%20Fan%20Controller
Doug

19th Jun 08 at 19:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I thought I could use some software to control the fans
Where abouts would I have to plug in to get control of the CPU fan for example? Would it be inbetween the fan the the mobo?
Dom

19th Jun 08 at 19:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

on the mobo you will have a number of 3pin fan headers (sockets), it'll be in your manual on the motherboard on where they are.

Majority of the fans plugged into the fan headers on a mobo (certainly cpu fan headers) can be controlled via software like speedfan etc.
Doug

19th Jun 08 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The case fan I plugged directly into the power from the PSU not the mobo as there was just a normal power lead not a 3 pin that would plug into the mobo. It would explain why I am only able to adjust the CPU fan
Russ

19th Jun 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the thing with software controlled fans is, they are more voltage controlled than speed control,as they just send less power to the fan and make it spin slower
Russ

19th Jun 08 at 19:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

arguably i suppose fan controllers are the same though

New Poll