corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » LET engines

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author LET engines
FruitBooTeR

User status: Offline
19th Jun 08 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If they are converted properly and given a good service before hand what are they like for reliability.

Basicly if they are driven sensibly and serviced regualry will they last?, its just a lot of projects I read with LET's they are constantly being stripped down and rebuilt, now its not the cost that worries me (ok it is abit) but its more the fact that if it broke down on me I wouldnt have a clue how to strip / rebuild it.

Any advice
Steve X16XE

19th Jun 08 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd guess it'd be down to a few things. If it has already been stripped down and put back together well. Has it had it's arse handed to it. How often was it serviced and did they use good parts?
FruitBooTeR

19th Jun 08 at 14:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Not sure mate im thinking of asking someone like beardy to do it for me so id get the engine checked over first and serviced etc.

I just need to know what theyre like when in good nick, like are they all just prone to going bang, or if you drive them sensibly and treat them well will they be ok.
Steve X16XE

19th Jun 08 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've put about 28k on my corsa. I've kicked it's arse every step of the way. I do however change the oil and plugs every 5k. The only thing that has broken was the exhaust system kept on pulling itself apart due to me booting it so much.

Now my engine (the way i see it) is nowhere near it's limit. So it is ok (ish) for me to drive like that. However you have the turbo to think about and a lot more preassures in the engine.

So if your getting a good company like beardy why knows about these engines and service it with the best stuff. There should be no reason for it to break down every week.
FruitBooTeR

19th Jun 08 at 20:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ttt

Anymore info would be appreciated.

Any LET owners got any advice as I need to decide between LET and XE

Limecat
Banned

19th Jun 08 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not that they are unreliable as such, certainly not when compared like to like with other 2.0 turbo's of the same era.

The issues are that they come from cheap cars which by definition mean they are more prone to neglect in the first place. People buy these cheap dog rough Calibra Turbo's for just over a grand, then break them and ask more than that for the engine.

If it compression test correctly, is given fresh oil at regular intervals (prior to losing its golden colour) and you watch the belt intervals then you would have to be very unlucky to have any major issues.

Bear in mind they are getting on for 15 years old now, as is the loom and sensors in most examples.

Other issues are people buying cheap copy cat chips, fitting them themselves but just guessing on the fueling!?! It also up's the rev limit which puts additional strain on the rod bolts which ideally should be changed to ARP's as the forces on them accrue exponentially; it is also an ideal chance to put new shells in whilst the sump is off.

New Poll