corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another fuel price topic

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Another fuel price topic
deano87

User status: Offline
7th Jul 08 at 17:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The difference in petrol and diesel sounds a lot, but it isn't imho.

My last fill up:
34.36litres @ 119.9p/litre = £41.20

The same fill up for diesel, at the same petrol station:
34.36litres @ 131.9p/litre = £45.32

Ok, so I was £2 out. Take a 1.2 16v Corsa C and 1.3 CDTi Corsa C. I can guarantee, within the first 5 fill ups, possibly less, you would be making money back as such.

Don't forget with diesel cars, you're paying for the privilege of going faster, but returning just as good, if not slightly better fuel economy.

[Edited on 07-07-2008 by deano87]
John

7th Jul 08 at 17:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That's a direct comparison i've given you there though, the clio goes faster than the fabia and because of increasing diesel prices the clio only costs a fiver more over nearly 2000 miles.
deano87

7th Jul 08 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
That's a direct comparison i've given you there though, the clio goes faster than the fabia and because of increasing diesel prices the clio only costs a fiver more over nearly 2000 miles.

Fair enough. I've given a pretty fair comparison though. And diesel prices around here are going up the same as petrol
John

7th Jul 08 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not them going up, its the difference in price between the diesel and the petrol, my figures are actual figures, not hypothetical sums.
deano87

7th Jul 08 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know. BUT, driven the same, a 1.3CDTi Corsa will return much much better fuel economy than a 1.2 petrol, or even 1.4 petrol. So the difference in price isn't that much. Yet, on a whole, the car costs the same to buy, run, everything. And factor in £35/year tax on the diesel, it will be cheaper motoring.

[Edited on 07-07-2008 by deano87]
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Jul 08 at 17:32   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hmm just worked out my mpg its 31.8 thought it would be better then that

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
John

7th Jul 08 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I get about that in a 172.

Don't get me wrong, I like driving diesels much better than petrol, I hate my clio tbh, lazy driving ftw, diesel prices and the fact a diesel in most cases costs more to buy is very quickly pricing them out of the equation.
gavin18787
Premium Member

7th Jul 08 at 17:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Think I need to stop driving like a bell end

explains the little bit of sotty smoke I get ocasionally at high rpm, dont think the map is quite right

So it turns out the new car I am looking at is actually better on fuel Thought it would be worse

[Edited on 07-07-2008 by gavin18787]

Drives supercharged Tec with torque
Colin

7th Jul 08 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

I find that hard to believe (Not saying your lying or that )

I see a petrol car Vs a Diesel of similar spec/power/size as around avg mpg 35-40 (Vs 45-50) so around 20% more mpg though Price of petrol is 10p less to buy making it a bit less than 20% more efficient!.

In simple terms to do my 400-500 miles a week Id pay around £10-15 more in petrol, not alot but when you consider thats every week it soom mounts up. Then theres the matter that having to fill up more than once a week would annoy me.

Theres probably flaws in my maths but that makes sense to me
John

7th Jul 08 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

37mpg in my fabia, 32 in the clio, was worked out with diesel costing 10p more than petrol.
Colin

7th Jul 08 at 17:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Do you do mostly town driving? As that would explain alot.

I get 46-47 everyday, 42 if I kick its arse in & anything up to 56 if I drive like a granny!!

Then I do 80 miles a day Mon-Fri with 95% of that being motorway!!

Wish I could run a big arsed petrol car just now but really think id struggle with the cost!!
John

7th Jul 08 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aye it's all short journeys, if I was going up and down the motorway the diesel would be much better, town driving theres nothing in it though.
Graham88

7th Jul 08 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No it didn't stop me getting my bike. I'll now spend around or over £400 a month on petrol, but may aswell do it whilst I'm young.
Simon_16v

7th Jul 08 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Just put £50 in at 119.9p and it didnt click to say my tank was full and my petrol light wasn't on
Colin

7th Jul 08 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Aye it's all short journeys, if I was going up and down the motorway the diesel would be much better, town driving theres nothing in it though.

Aye id agree there.

My old man only does 10k or so a year mostly town driving, ive told him hes not getting the benifits of a diesel & should get a 2L FSi next.............wont listen though!

Me on the other hand does 25k or whatever a year, diesels the best option for me!! I'll should see a saving............well, If people stop crashing into me!!
Colin

7th Jul 08 at 18:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Simon_16v
Just put £50 in at 119.9p and it didnt click to say my tank was full and my petrol light wasn't on

My golf used to take £50 diesel when the red light came on, that was in November, im £63-ish now to fill up. Thats like 25% increase in cost....crazy!!!
deano87

7th Jul 08 at 21:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:

I find that hard to believe (Not saying your lying or that )

I see a petrol car Vs a Diesel of similar spec/power/size as around avg mpg 35-40 (Vs 45-50) so around 20% more mpg though Price of petrol is 10p less to buy making it a bit less than 20% more efficient!.

In simple terms to do my 400-500 miles a week Id pay around £10-15 more in petrol, not alot but when you consider thats every week it soom mounts up. Then theres the matter that having to fill up more than once a week would annoy me.

Theres probably flaws in my maths but that makes sense to me

Colin always words it much better than me.

Take a 2.0TDi Golf travelling at 80mph vs. 2.0 petrol Golf travelling at 80mph, 1 will definitely return much better fuel economy, and work out cheaper, even though diesel is approx 10p dearer.
SVM 286

7th Jul 08 at 21:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Another fuel price topic 24 database queries in 0.0125198 seconds