corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » I know it's not a Corsa, but... 1.7 DTi (53 Plate) Astra Engine Problem

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author I know it's not a Corsa, but... 1.7 DTi (53 Plate) Astra Engine Problem
Rich H

User status: Offline
6th Jul 08 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi All

Am in need of some help please:

Was out in my other half's 53 plate Astra Estate 1.7 DTi this morning, driving along quite happily, until:

Engine let off loud squealing kind of noise (almost sounding like microphone interference though), and thought it may have been from the radio as the car carried on as normal, no engine temp raising, no loss of power etc.

Carried on for around 2 miles down the road and got held up in a traffic jam when I noticed the car was juddering violently on idle and idleing at around 600rpm - there was also a loud rattling coming from the engine.

Pulled over ASAP and called my old man for recovery.

Get it home on the back of a truck, and it struggled to start to get it off the truck. Eventually starts with a big cloud of smoked and a very strong smell of fuel - seems to be running very rich.

Rattling noise has got louder and worse, and idleing is very low.

Any ideas?

Car was serviced around 2 months ago, with a belt squeal which we had checked out and was told nothing could be found wrong.

Squeal from belt was around near when it came on to boost and the engine was under a bit of load.

Car's done just under 61k if that helps, and hasn't had the cambelt changed as far as I can tell.

Cheers

Rich
Ben ev

7th Jul 08 at 22:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sounds fucked at best. if its a rattle then bottom end. if its just overfuelling then imo a sensor is at fault
steve101

7th Jul 08 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

High Pressure Pump on the road out possibly, though I'm not too sure after writing that.

Would coincide with the belt problem, I guess, but it's a strange one.
Rich H

8th Jul 08 at 10:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have been told 3 possibilities:

EGR valve - apparently uber common on virtually all Astra MK4's
Broken Rocker - Again apparently very common on the Isuzu 1.7 DTi lump.
Cambelt slipped and buggered something in the process.

I have a vid on my phone of the noise - it's not good lol.
Rich H

8th Jul 08 at 16:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Poor quality video can be found here: http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-3430081592131115447&hl=en

New Poll