corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » gearbox help please!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author gearbox help please!
corsa col

User status: Offline
2nd Aug 08 at 15:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In part way through replacing my F13 gearbox and have reached decision time. I'm using a 4.53 cwp, but have choice in gearkits. All I have to go off, are the numbers stamped in the sandwich plate the gearkits are fitted to. the problem is they only state the final drive from their original box, but what I want to know is if there is any differance in the actual gears, esp 2nd & 3rd. I want it quick off the mark.
So will the sandwich plate that says C3.74 have a closer 1st, 2nd & 3rd gear than the plate/kit that says C3.94?
The hayes manual suggests there is a differance, but I'm still not sure which will do my job best!

I'm only a novice when it comes to gearbox's, and don't want to strip the kits down and start counting teeth!

Any help appreciated
Steve X16XE

User status: Offline
3rd Aug 08 at 01:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have the CR then you will be quicker of the line.

The 1st gears are the same. It looks to be the 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th that are different.

If both boxes had the same FD then the WR would have been a lot slower.

The CR might hit 25 in 1st but the WR might hit 30mph.

In 2nd the CR might hit 55 in 1st but the WR might hit 60mph but it'll take longer due to the smaller gear ring.

I'm doing my Corsa for track days and i'm wanting acceleration, not top end. I'm going to be fitting a F13 CR box with a 4.18 FD from the F10 box.

It's something that Dave A has done and has worked very well for him.

Now when my revs are at 5k, my speedo is at 100 mph. Dave A's is at 90 mph when his revs are at 5k. So that maybe something to think about If your going to be using your car for anything other that track due to the high revs all the time. On a plus note, you can go down to 15 mph in 5th and still pull away smooth..... saves on fuel

Hope that has helped out a little.

New Poll