corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Urgent Help Needed - buying a Cat D

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Urgent Help Needed - buying a Cat D
Captain_Rosco

User status: Offline
27th Aug 08 at 12:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys, can some one please give me some urgent advise on what do to.

I am looking buy a new car. I have looked at several, and found one that is the best for my price range. I have driven it myself and I have asked the usual questions, and been on owner’s forums and asked for common problems, and asked the current owner about the car’s past.

The owner was a sound guy, and was very honest. He owns his own garage and said he will give me 1 year’s free warranty to fix any problems. I’ve been to his garage, and he has loads of very nice cars and even on his drive way there was several expensive cars. He is very much into his cars.

This morning I decided to buy the car, but would do a HPI check first. It turns out that the car is a Cat D Damage, but repairable car back in Jan 08. The owner did warn me that the car was in an accident, but he didn’t tell me it was a CAT D.

I called him up this morning to ask more questions, to which he said he bought the car back from the insurance company for very little, his garage repaired the damage, and now 8 months later he want to sell the car. He is not asking for a lot of money for it, and this car is the cheapest I have found for it’s spec, mileage, age, ect. But my problem is how bad is a CAT D accident car?

I know they go in scale from A to D, A being a no no, but is a Cat D an ok thing to live with?

Any advise would be great as I don’t to loose all my money on some thing dangerous, but at the same time I don’t want to loose out on a very good deal!

[Edited on 27-08-2008 by Ian]
~Corsa~

27th Aug 08 at 12:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if it passes mot etc it should be alright, the bloke wouldnt sell a car that is totally fucked if he is giving you a yrs warranty..
Captain_Rosco

27th Aug 08 at 12:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thats what i'm thinking but is there any safety test a CAT D need to pass before it can go back on the road?

Or is that only for CAT C?

Tom

27th Aug 08 at 12:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't like the fact he never said it was cat d, but actually if he said it was in an accident and you never asked then maybe not. How much cheaper is it than similar cars?
Captain_Rosco

27th Aug 08 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Almost £2000 cheaper.

So i know if when i come on to selling it, i know it won't get book value, seeing as it's cheaper at the moment.
~Corsa~

27th Aug 08 at 15:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

unless the people buying dont do a hpi check!
James_DT

27th Aug 08 at 15:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Captain_Rosco
Thats what i'm thinking but is there any safety test a CAT D need to pass before it can go back on the road?

Or is that only for CAT C?

Cat C goes through the VIC, but that doesn't check safety or roadworthiness, just the car's identity.
Cat D doesn't need a VIC.
Ask about the damage, and take the car for a drive to check it drives straight. Get an RAC inspection if you're not sure.
It's been repaired, it's got an MOT and it's massively cheaper. It wouldn't put me off that it was a Cat D (my current car was a Cat C write off).
Paul_J

27th Aug 08 at 23:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what car dave?
Paul_J

27th Aug 08 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Also

Cat D will be safe

Just don't expect to sell it easily?

What car is it? I thought you were going to buy a Dc2 when you go away for winter?
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
27th Aug 08 at 23:14   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It'll only be dangerous if it's not done properly.

Repaired correctly it's no less safe than anything else on the road. Depends if you are happy to live with it, can insure it and are sure of its condition.

Might be worth looking further in to the extent of the damage, the pre-accident value which will give you an idea of how much the repair was quoted at, and the quality of the repair itself. Has the seller offered to disclose any of this?
Twiggy

28th Aug 08 at 00:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you spot any repairs? He might be offering a years warranty but what does that cover? I got stung with a car with a 6mth warranty that coverd fuck all!!!

I would consider but would want pics of pre accident to make sure not mega smashed.... most 2nd cars have had a prang or 2...

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Urgent Help Needed - buying a Cat D 23 database queries in 0.0095589 seconds