corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » redtop build

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author redtop build
freeman(sting)

User status: Offline
7th Oct 08 at 21:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

hi,

im just wondering how much i would be looking at to convert a standard 1.6 sport corsa to a redtop,

just a basic outline of what is needed and a average price of parts without labour or anything,
Rybo

7th Oct 08 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

depending on what bargains you can find or i'd say £1000 to £1500
Limecat
Banned

7th Oct 08 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Put it this way; I had my GSI (including buying the car as a non runner), a rebuilt C20XE with a ported head, all profesionally colour coded covers, ported head, V-Tuning inlet, motorsport chromed shafts, new outer CV's. new mounts, full stainless system, 2.0 256mm brakes, coilovers etc, etc, etc for under £1500 - thats a build and I have owned the car for almost 5 years now.
Rybo

7th Oct 08 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by LETGSI16V
Put it this way; I had my GSI (including buying the car as a non runner), a rebuilt C20XE with a ported head, all profesionally colour coded covers, ported head, V-Tuning inlet, motorsport chromed shafts, new outer CV's. new mounts, full stainless system, 2.0 256mm brakes, coilovers etc, etc, etc for under £1500 - thats a build and I have owned the car for almost 5 years now.

fair play to you there bud,you did well though with that-i was just trying to be realistic i guess
Limecat
Banned

7th Oct 08 at 23:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah but I got the car for £600 with a shed load of new parts as a non runner, despite having had a £2k rebuild, I sorted it for less than £50 and sold the engine for £450. It's how you use the money TBH. My GSI then stood me at £200 with a brand spanking suspension kit, full stainless, etc (previous owner had spent almost £10k on it! :lol

EDIT: Agree on the realistic figures but if someone is competent, gets a mint engine, does EVERYTHING service wise and buys a fitting kit it is very affordabe cheap power IMO. Problem is the amount of undeclared conversions.

The £1500 'conversions' some people on here pull are a mega fucking money spinner for them. I cannot believe people are daft enough to pay them that money for a smokey old shit box engine thrown in. The people are just out to milk the useless buggers on this site. They milk the Vauxhall sites for everything, they would sell their mother for a few pence. It is disgraceful to be honest.

[Edited on 07-10-2008 by LETGSI16V]
freeman(sting)

8th Oct 08 at 11:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was thinking of maybe buying a sri cav or something shit n cheap that i can hear the redtop running and and have some sort of idea what millege its got, basicaaly ill have around 2500£ to make a redtop aswell as buying a car
Rybo

8th Oct 08 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i paid 500 quid for my redtop,loom,gearbox etc-but the lad i bought it off had rebuilt it for me with new cambelt kit,clutch,rings,seals,gaskets,bearings etc...purely because i didnt have time with work-sadly he turned out to be a retard and made a bad job of it(new engine coming soon ),
coilovers-530 quid
type two mount kit and pas bracket-150 quid
hubs-80 quid
shafts-80 quid
new wheel bearings + pressing 50 quid
powercap-60 quid
2.0litre brakes + new discs/pads 60 quid
strengthening kit-30 quid
arb blocks-20 quid
getting a decent exhaust made for it-300 quid (stainless)

now there was loads of silly little cheap bits i ended up replacing or needing too
and i bought a few of the above second hand off here to save a little cash too

i also appreciate you dont have to spend that on suspension or even put strengthening plates in but i wanted to do what i felt would make a decent job of it...i did slip my mate 50 quid for helping me get the engine ibolted in and welding my plates in also

im sure thers lads on here who would think ive spent to much but i have built a safe car that feels sound and solid and is fun to drive,

and mine is totally legal of course...i hate people who dont declare!
i envy you bud for being able to build one so cheaply...guess its just look of the draw with some things
Rybo

8th Oct 08 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by freeman(sting)
i was thinking of maybe buying a sri cav or something shit n cheap that i can hear the redtop running and and have some sort of idea what millege its got, basicaaly ill have around 2500£ to make a redtop aswell as buying a car

i wish i had done this,you'd get your breaks too and could possibly make a little back on whats left of donor car...best of luck with it if you go for it,i dont think its as hard as i first thought before i did mine,and the guys on here will guide you through any bits you need a hand with

New Poll