corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Just bought a Corsa - Need some help!

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Just bought a Corsa - Need some help!
DJ_SmokeyJoe

User status: Offline
   14th Oct 08 at 21:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, I've just handed over the cash in exchange for a set of keys! I got a Black SXi on a T plate. Its done 73,000 miles - in really good condition throughout. I'm very pleased!

Couple of things I wonder if you guys could help me with!

My electric windows were working perfectly all the way home from picking the car up (40 min drive) however they stopped working a few hours after I got back! None of the switches light up anymore - I think it may be a fuse, don't really know where to start here?

The battery needs replacing I think, I've had to bump start it a few times and earlier after not being driven for a few hours it seemed almost completely dead ...

When I did bump it, the engine was revving itself repeatedly to 3,000RPM and back to idle for about 5 minutes, then it settled to idle and all the clocks had reset themselves? This made me think the car was possessed as the throttle linkage wasn't moving at all when the car was revving itself! Any ideas as to why it did this? It drives absolutely fine and is very smooth - feels pokey for a 1.2 .

Also there is some very slight vibration through the steering wheel when doing about 60~70MPH+ I reckon its wheel balancing but it becomes more apparent under breaking, any ideas?

I love the car, it looks great - started de-badging already! Need to get it sorted though!

Thanks very much, Joe.
deano87

14th Oct 08 at 21:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No idea on the electric windows I'm sure someone will know though.

Battery may sort the problem - if the cells are dead it won't hold its charge much. Replace that first before doing anything major like alternator.

With regard to the revving - sounds like the Idle Air Control Valve/Idle Control Valve (IACV/ICV). However, just keep an eye on it, it might not do it much. If it does, it's a relatively cheap part from eBay (about £50 - only go for a genuine Bosch one) and easy to fit - even I can do it
john_c20xe

15th Oct 08 at 00:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sound like an air leak, have u tried spraying arears of the engine with brake cleaner to see if it revs up?
Torsa g

15th Oct 08 at 08:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If the battery has gone flaty the ecu has more than likely reset, so when restarting the ecu has to recalibrate and self map, this will cause high reving, if it appears that it keeps happening with the new battery on then i would go with an air leak first as mentioned, then if not it will be the ICV,

as for the windows i can garantee if its gone out like that its gona be a fuse but if not you might have dropped n earth,

and the vibration will be either wheel balencing or wheel bearing but i think you will notice if it was that as you would hear a whuring sound,

TOM
DJ_SmokeyJoe

15th Oct 08 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahh, thanks lads!

I think it is a fuse on the windows front as they all just stopped working - not just one of them or just one switch - its the whole electric window circuit by the looks of things.

How do I replace the fuse for this then?

I did also suspect that the ECU had been reset when it had to be bumped, as everything reset including the clock, date, radio presets etc... Very strange when that happened though, engine just revving itself up - even in gear!

I know a girl at college with some Corsa C SXi alloys refurbished in black - shes selling them to me once she gets her pink wolfrace's lol. I'll probably wait and get those balanced before they go on!

Thanks for all your help!

- Joe.
am4nf

15th Oct 08 at 14:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the reving is most certainly the idle air control valve and will probably keep doing that until you replace it
cunningham

15th Oct 08 at 15:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuse box will be to the left and down of the steering wheel if its right hand drive and look for a picture for windows if no pictures are there you may need to get a haynes manual
am4nf

15th Oct 08 at 17:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuse box is on the right

New Poll