corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weekend Football Thread Incorporating League and FA Cup Action Action Action

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Weekend Football Thread Incorporating League and FA Cup Action Action Action
Danny P

User status: Offline
9th Nov 08 at 18:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hammer - What went on up at CP this weekend? Heard load of fans were walking out mid-match due to Celtic having Poppies on the shirts for the game?

Any more info or owt?
Jas

9th Nov 08 at 18:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Very happy with the spurs result..

we've gone 5 games unbeaten

1 in uefa
and we've played 3 big clubs in premiership

Arsenal
Liverpool
City

That has to be a spurs record
Hammer

9th Nov 08 at 18:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
Hammer - What went on up at CP this weekend? Heard load of fans were walking out mid-match due to Celtic having Poppies on the shirts for the game?

Any more info or owt?

I'd be quicker re-directing you to the 1500 threads i've had to moderate in the past week tbh

Planned walkout ten minutes into the game, happened but not significantly. Maybe 200 people tops at the highest estimate. People that did leave were booed.

I don't really fancy going in to the ins and outs of why they did it, i'd be here for an age! Basically the board are telling the fans to leave the politics at the door and those fans think telling the players to wear a poppy smacks of hypocrisy. It's pretty much split the entire support.
Ojc

9th Nov 08 at 19:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Why do they have an issue with the poppys? Sounds like brain dead idiots as per usual.
Hammer

9th Nov 08 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah they're not brain dead idiots (at least the vast majority anyway), I can understand where they are coming from. The only gripe I have is with the fact they decided to do it to the detriment of the team they apparently support.

They'd do well to remember there were Celtic players that were killed during both World wars and not all Celtic fans are devout Irish republicans.
Danny P

9th Nov 08 at 19:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
quote:
Originally posted by Danny P

Any more info or owt?

I'd be quicker re-directing you to the 1500 threads i've had to moderate in the past week tbh

Planned walkout ten minutes into the game, happened but not significantly. Maybe 200 people tops at the highest estimate. People that did leave were booed.

I don't really fancy going in to the ins and outs of why they did it, i'd be here for an age! Basically the board are telling the fans to leave the politics at the door and those fans think telling the players to wear a poppy smacks of hypocrisy. It's pretty much split the entire support.

Aye imagine it is a hot topic within your support.

Cheers for information
Ojc

9th Nov 08 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Nah they're not brain dead idiots (at least the vast majority anyway), I can understand where they are coming from. The only gripe I have is with the fact they decided to do it to the detriment of the team they apparently support.

They'd do well to remember there were Celtic players that were killed during both World wars and not all Celtic fans are devout Irish republicans.

They still going on about that? Makes me sick TBH, Celtic wouldn't exist if it wasn't for those thousands that sacrificed their future so we could have ours.
Hammer

9th Nov 08 at 19:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You're making yourself look like the exact type of person you tried to call them

In no way am I condoning anything either way but you must surely agree it would be virtually impossible for a relative (distant or otherwise) of a killed individual by the British army to respect either a minutes silence or applause for that very same army whether its nothing to do with the troubles in Ireland or not.

I don't wear a poppy personally it has taken on a symbolism, specifically in Ireland, of both Unionism and glorifying of wars and troubles. I still pay my respect, of which I have huge amounts of, for the people that lost their lives but I believe it to be my perogative not to wear a poppy same as it is everyone elses to wear one.
Danny P

9th Nov 08 at 19:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Guess its a tough one to call, and without knowing the full ins & outs of the matter then I wont make comment either way. Guess whatever they (The Club) would have done regarding the issue they would have been in for some stick from somewhere.

Ojc

9th Nov 08 at 19:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH I'm not going to comment anymore as we both have FAR different opinions on the matter.

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Weekend Football Thread Incorporating League and FA Cup Action Action Action 24 database queries in 0.0172231 seconds