corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » shooting landscapes

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author shooting landscapes
mattk

User status: Offline
17th Nov 08 at 23:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I took this picture on sunday and Im rather pleased with it, its a 3 exposure HDR as you can tell because the clouds have some movement in them

How do you shoot landscapes and get the deatails of both the sky and the land? If I epose for the land the sky blows and if I expose for the sky the ground is dark, do I get a graduating filter or do I have to continue to HDR?

[Edited on 17-11-2008 by mattk]
John

17th Nov 08 at 23:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always see the grad filters recommended.

Why do you not use just the one photo that's exposed correctly for the sky as the sky and then it won't be blurred?
AndyKent

18th Nov 08 at 08:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you were that worried you can manually change the sky exposure in Photoshop without buying a grad.

But yes, a grad is the 'proper' way to do it.
Whittie

18th Nov 08 at 09:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shoot in raw and adjust the exposure manually.

If you havn't got a grad filter, just apply one in photoshop.
Tiger

18th Nov 08 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A Grad filter reduces the exposure difference between a bright sky and a dull landscape. Its not to make the sky dark, just to even out the balance, hence why you can get loads of different grad filters. Just make sure you get a Neutral Density Grad and you'll be ok.

As for your photo, its good quality, but you need something in it to lead your eye into the photo as here i'm left wandering around in the foreground rocks and dont get as far as the sky....
Rob E

18th Nov 08 at 18:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you shot in RAW matt, take the middle exposure, adjust the exposure to under expose, then save and repeat for over exposed. You can then builld it it from the different exposures you have created from one RAW file. I did it with the below picture

Original

HDR'd (ish)

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » shooting landscapes 24 database queries in 0.0109241 seconds