corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » Why do you lose coolant?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Why do you lose coolant?
dannymccann

User status: Offline
6th Dec 08 at 15:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive had my Astra since May, not once have I had to top up the coolant (header tank), its always been on the rim of the tank half way up. Checking it this morning before the missus went to Birmingham and it was down a little, needed about 400ml of water adding to it to take it just over the half way mark.

Question is, do you always lose a little coolant in normal conditions when its cold, or should I be on the lookout for something?

Cheers
ali_corsa

6th Dec 08 at 15:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

could be your headgasket on its way out, it could explain the drop of the coolant level. check it tomorow or late tonight when she has got back after a few hours just pop outside and check it
dannymccann

6th Dec 08 at 15:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How?

edit - I know of the sign about oily mayo or shit in the header tank, neither of which applies, oil change was done last weekend it was nice and black and smooth, and water is clear as anything

[Edited on 06-12-2008 by dannymccann]
ali_corsa

6th Dec 08 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you know anyone that works in a garage that does mot's?
dannymccann

6th Dec 08 at 15:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nah no one i know, whats the suggestions? IVe not noticed any misfires either, which was a symptom in my old corsa when its HG went
ali_corsa

6th Dec 08 at 15:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was going to say if you know anyone, get them to stick the exhaust probe in the coolant tank, whilst the engine is ideling and just check out the hydrocarbons...

when did you last check the level? just keep an eye on it and see how it goes
dannymccann

6th Dec 08 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair while ago tbh, I do oil checks twice a week, tyres once a week and tend to check the coolant once a month tbh as it never loses any, I only looked this morning and saw it was down a little bit, the temp gauge in the car never goes above 90, even if its stuck in traffic for yonks, and the fan never speeds itself up or anything, runs a dream tbh
Joe

6th Dec 08 at 15:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Always check it when the engine is cold, the level goes up a bit when the engine warms up. You may have a leak somewhere, just keep an eye on it.
deano87

6th Dec 08 at 22:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'd blame a leak more than your headgasket going. Just keep an eye on it. Cold weather could have caused the pipes to go a bit brittle etc. If it's running fine, I wouldn't worry, just keep an eye on it!
daymoon
Premium Member

7th Dec 08 at 12:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i have same problem on my 12v...
there is only one small oil leak, but not water.. no mayo under the cap or the dip stick... needs topping up once in 1k miles thats half the water tank.
luke85

7th Dec 08 at 16:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There can be small leaks on the pipes, much more likely than the headgasket going. Also if the cap leaks a little it can let the water evaporate out when its pressurised
dannymccann

7th Dec 08 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im thinking the cap or the pipes as above as its only started now and theres no other symptoms of HGF, ill keep an eye on it for now, the DTi engine is supposed to be hard as nails

Thanks all for your input
Joe

7th Dec 08 at 18:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by daymoon
i have same problem on my 12v...
there is only one small oil leak, but not water.. no mayo under the cap or the dip stick... needs topping up once in 1k miles thats half the water tank.

Make sure the water pump isn't leaking. Its not uncommmon on those engines.

New Poll