corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Wireless cards & dongles, ratings?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Wireless cards & dongles, ratings?
Carl

User status: Offline
30th Dec 08 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went for the cheap option and bought the cheap dongle with the lowest rating, will I be losing out to the mimo & N (iirc) rated ones on my upto 20meg conection, (think i'm getting about 16 or said i'd get about 16meg)?
Can't seem to find the answer on the net, and if I am i'll look for a card to actually install in my desktop now i'm not rushing to get online.
John

30th Dec 08 at 18:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What router do you have? That has to support the higher speeds also.

Any G card you can buy should in most cases(can fluctuate depending on distance, walls etc) be much faster than your internet connection.
Carl

30th Dec 08 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

o2 wireless box 2.

Thinking of going the card route anyhow, my pc keeps freezing, only happened since this wireless jobby and i'm thinking it might be to do with the USB ports.

Nice to know in regards to the ratings though, cheers John.
John

30th Dec 08 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That will most likely be a G, thats a top speed of 54mpbs which leaves plenty of leeway for speed drops.

You don't have to spend a fortune but I wouldn't buy the cheap cheap ones, I have one of these and although it does the job the software/drivers that you MUST use are absolute crap.
BlueCorsa

31st Dec 08 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you are only using networking for internet, and the router supplied by your service is only G anyway, then G is perfectly adequate. I have a home server and wanted faster speeds, so added a N access point since my laptop had N built in anyway. Doesn't seem that much faster, prefer wired/powerline connection as the wireless sometimes drop out during file transfer.

New Poll