corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Outlook 2007/Exchange 2003 and Archiving

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Outlook 2007/Exchange 2003 and Archiving
Andrew

User status: Offline
10th Jan 09 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have over 700MB of e-mails in my Mailbox. We use Exchange 2003 but no-one seems to archive any of their e-mails. Some Mailboxes are up to over 1GB.

What is the best way of doing this

I never delete anything as some badger always fucks up somewhere and i like to cover my own arse. Therefore need to be able to access my e-mails that have been archived.

[Edited on 10-01-2009 by Andrew]
Ian
Site Administrator

User status: Online
10th Jan 09 at 08:22   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Is this because you're running out of space on the storage volume or because you need more performance?

There isn't really a problem with large boxes per se unless there's another issue in there.
Andrew

10th Jan 09 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's not an issue as such. Just takes a while to pull down that amount of e-mails over VPN when i flattern my PC.

I also like to keep things clean and tidy.

Disk space is really not an issue with todays standards.
Aaron

10th Jan 09 at 16:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are you using OWA to access your e mail form a remote location? Because this wouldn't have to "pull anything down" would it???
Andrew

10th Jan 09 at 21:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can use OWA, that's set up. As i said, caching mode is selected so it's on the initial setup of the Mailbox which is an issue.
flame1987

11th Jan 09 at 12:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Could archive to pst and import them, But id just leave it how it is doesnt take long to pull down really, Especially if you dont need instant access to the emails via outlook, If you need to read a mail whilst there downlaoding, Use OWA, Im also the same as you dont delete anything, Or if i do never empty my deleted items
colour_golden

11th Jan 09 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I Didnt think abything was downloaded when using outlook and exchange? All the emails are still on the server and your just looking at your mailbox, i thought things where only downloaded if you created an offline folder?
Bart

11th Jan 09 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You can setup Auto Archive via outlook, and set the target location (this can be set to your server so its backed up), also how old the emails you want to Archive.

Like Ian said, Exchange doesnt worry too much about mailboxes around that size, the majority of our employees have mailboxes around 2gig. Ive set around 2.2gb limit such that it warns them but doesnt prevent emails being downloaded.
Andrew

11th Jan 09 at 21:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by colour_golden
I Didnt think abything was downloaded when using outlook and exchange? All the emails are still on the server and your just looking at your mailbox, i thought things where only downloaded if you created an offline folder?

I tend to use Cached Mode. Which means the e-mails are stored on the server but a copy is kept locally on your machine.

I've got a book i'm working though so the answer should be in there.

New Poll