corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fitted my tuning box

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Fitted my tuning box
pow
Premium Member

User status: Offline
21st Jan 09 at 16:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont skip ffs.
ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 17:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Neo
quote:
Originally posted by Twiggy
http://myworld.ebay.co.uk/tdi-tuning_uk/

Even cheaper for my one on there

looking at the vag one it looks like a fancy version of the resistor mod! The plug isnt the right one for tha vag engine...

only fitted mine today. got a DTUK PD2 and am v v v impressed....did 30 miles and didnt miss a beat....really kicks in about 2.5k

got mine off a bloke on the passat forums for £40!
Neo

21st Jan 09 at 17:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Might not be a picture of the thing....

End of the day, for a ton...if it dont work i aint gonna cry, and they offer refund service....

If it works, i have till the summer when i plan to get a remap
ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 17:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

blokes first purchase...

'I'll be honest I have just bought one from ebay. I know you will frown : ( but I have bought it on the principle that it appears its from a decent seller who is trying to establish a new business from tuning modules. I have also been in contact with another buyer of the same item for advise on the product before my final bid. At the end of the day it cost £65 and if it seems to have side effects such as smoke I will simply resell (to no one on here of course) but as usual ebay will become a victim of itself!

Any advise you could possibly give that will help me establish if I have simply been sold an 'evry mod' in fancy dress?

N.B I have also emailed the seller and mentioned I am a VW enthusiast and a long standing member of a well respected MKIV & MKV owner's club & web forum where I would review the product sharing my thoughts with everyone on here.

The sellers website is tdi-tuning.co.uk'

when recieved...

'Hi all, received my tuning box yesterday from tdi-tuning.co.uk - won on ebay for 65 inc postage.

I must admit the design and quality is better than expected. VAG connectors and decent serial connection. The box itself isn't too big (probably) about 2.5" by 1.5". Has the companies sticker on one side which looks ok but could have been more professional. The design is one box with serial connector. The serial cable itself has 1 cable that spurs another connection from the main connector that connects to the fuel temp guage.

Also comes with cable ties that are in a sealed VAG bag. I have carefully opened up the box, held together by 4 screws, without damaging it at all. Unfortunately as most people seem to find its internals are all consealed within a solid coloured glue. Assume this is to stop their design, most probably just the EVRY mod, from being discovered and also offering a water tight design.

I will fit the box this afternoon and take it for a test drive. Of course I will take it easy to start allowing the engine/oil to warm before testing its potential.

N.B before purchasing this product I have done lots of research into its design but none to any success. I am however convinced that this is one of the better tuning boxes from the budget offers seen. I do however realise that this is most probably just the 150oms resister in a box (EVRY mod). Only time will tell.

I will report back later tonight.'

when fitted...

'Ok so there's an instant win if an increase in power is all your worried about! However as my car is still relatively new, under warranty and not to mention my pride and joy I decided to disconnect the device asap. My concerns are as everyone will point out, any so called 'tuning box/module' that connects to the temp sensor is highly likely to be a simple resistor - commonly known as the evry mod which although will give quick short term results is known to have negative and potentially damaging affects to the cars engine and components as a result of over fueling.

Unfortunately I bought this device off ebay before realising it was a resistor mod in fancy dress. Therefore I wanted to trial the device out of curiosity but I had no intention of using this device permanently once I was more knowledgeable about its suspected design (evry mod).

I have had to learn the hard way and although it has been fun my advise to anyone reviewing this post or considering a cheap tuning option is: save your time and money - they are not worth the potential damaging affects to your car. If you are on a budget and do result to ebay or a second hand purchase make sure it’s from a well established Tuning company such as Van Akken or Tunit. '
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 17:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

After reading the above i have just taken mine apart.....

The serial connection i cant get off/dont wanna pull to hard

The other end popped off and is full of sealer?

So cant tell if its just a resistor ?

With the resistor does that not replace the standard one in the AFM? Where as this is attached to the common rail?

[Edited on 21-01-2009 by Twiggy]
John

21st Jan 09 at 17:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

If you have noticed a genuine difference it's not just a resistor, i've had one of the resistor ones on a car and it done nothing.
ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

With the resistor does that not replace the standard one in the AFM? Where as this is attached to the common rail?

if its full of sealer then yeh probs a resistor!

mine didnt plug in anywhere near the afm

what engine do you have it on?

My dtuk on has little jumpers to choose the map ad you remove the end to do it...also u can see its a proper little board(like a pc!)
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
If you have noticed a genuine difference it's not just a resistor, i've had one of the resistor ones on a car and it done nothing.

I am not saying its like sticking a XE in a corsa....

I am gagging to see what the increase is if any, does feel a bit quicker not much though
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 17:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by ChazSXi
quote:

if its full of sealer then yeh probs a resistor!

mine didnt plug in anywhere near the afm

what engine do you have it on?

My dtuk on has little jumpers to choose the map ad you remove the end to do it...also u can see its a proper little board(like a pc!)

It plugs in the common rail bit....

Its a 2.0 Hdi

It has a screw so you can adjust it?
John

21st Jan 09 at 17:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My 1.3 cdti box plugged in the common rail and had a screw, sounds fine.
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

****Off DTUK website ******

The idea behind the tuning box is to intercept the signal between the ECU and the injection system usally the common rail and basically allows it to inject more fuel into the cylinders thus producing more torque and power, and because of this the engine is running more efficiently the fuel consumption is also improved because you would have to use less throttle for similar conditions.
John

21st Jan 09 at 17:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

This is how all tuning boxes work, all they can do is alter fueling.
ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeh that sounds about right then..normally the resistor ones dont have screws!

mine plugs in on the cylinder head as its on a pd engine
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I got the impression ChazSXi thought it was something that plugged into the AFM?

Edit ^^^^ ahhh reat!

ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
I got the impression ChazSXi thought it was something that plugged into the AFM?

Edit ^^^^ ahhh reat!

just the pic of the pd one on tdi-tuning shows it connecting to the wrong bit..but as u say may be a diff pic!

does urs feel a little faster all round? mine has a hooooge surge at about 2.5k all the way to 5k!
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

Edit ^^^^ ahhh reat!

just the pic of the pd one on tdi-tuning shows it connecting to the wrong bit..but as u say may be a diff pic!

does urs feel a little faster all round? mine has a hooooge surge at about 2.5k all the way to 5k!

No but i think the screw is on the lowest setting if you get me and i cant go out to "test" it at the mo....
ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
quote:

Edit ^^^^ ahhh reat!

No but i think the screw is on the lowest setting if you get me and i cant go out to "test" it at the mo....

let me know as mother has a picasso 2.0hdi!

i put mine on map 4 with 30% needless to say it goes like a trooper...nice little puff of smoke too on the downchange!
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

will 20bhp feel like a hooooge surge???
ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 18:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
will 20bhp feel like a hooooge surge???

yeh woulda thought so..mines meant to give me upto 40%

compare a pd 115 and pd130 and the 130 felt quicker...driven a 150 an that felt quicker again...so i would say 20bhp should be noticeable!

what i meant is cruise in 2nd...foot down...about 1800 the turbo spools up and then about 2500k it really grips...a bit like turbo lag tbh!
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 18:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mine when standard just spins up the tyres its got so much torque!!....
ChazSXi

21st Jan 09 at 18:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

yours the same engine as in the picasso? drove my mums and it was immense(ly slow!)
Twiggy

21st Jan 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:

yours the same engine as in the picasso? drove my mums and it was immense(ly slow!)

nooooo mine has the larger turbo

ok ok ok its fucking wank slow

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Fitted my tuning box 23 database queries in 0.0137570 seconds