corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesel VS Petrol

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Diesel VS Petrol
John

User status: Offline
31st Jan 09 at 14:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The only people who get brilliant mpg are people like deano, i've had a 1.2 and it didn't get 40mpg, probably lucky to get half that.

The diesel is normally always quicker and higher mpg than the equivalent petrol and you can't argue with paying less tax, no matter how rich you are or how much you don't care, the money is better in your pocket than lining the governments.

I've personally went back to diesel again and apart from getting about double the mpg so far (more than makes up for the difference in price between petrol and diesel, how much an equivalent model when newer would obvioulsy have to be taken into account) I much prefer the way they drive and I also love £80 Dodgy Dave approved remaps.

Some petrols probably can rival diesel mpg these days but they'll be slower, normally nowhere near as fun to drive and you'll have to drive like a granny to achieve this.

[Edited on 31-01-2009 by John]
deano87

31st Jan 09 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I always say it, diesels are only beneficial if you compare doing the same mileage, in the equivalent car.

i.e. no good comparing a 1.3CDTi Corsa to a 530d BMW. You need to compare a 530i to 530d imho.

Same with 2.0l petrol cars and little Pug 107s.
LeeM

31st Jan 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i can easily get 40mpg out of my saxo vtr and push to 50 if i drive carefully and i dont like the way diesels drive, so no contest for me
Robin
Premium Member

31st Jan 09 at 18:48   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by deano87
You need to compare a 530i to 530d imho.

I did that with mine and a 320i. The petrol was slower, less economical and as it turns out (although I didn't know at the time) have a lot more problems than the diesel.

It was an easy decision after driving both of them.

Just as an illustration -

320i;

148bhp
200Nm
7.9 0-60
32.2 mpg

320d

163bhp
340Nm
8.3 0-60
49.6 mpg

So it's half a second slower to 60, but, with a remap, it's 50bhp and 200Nm better off than the petrol, plus still gets better MPG (or the same, if you drive like a helmet)

[Edited on 31-01-2009 by Robin]
SportBoy

31st Jan 09 at 18:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

bunch of farmers
mazdaspeed

31st Jan 09 at 18:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Drove a few diesels, Audi A4, Mondeo and they are pretty good cruisers but if you want anything fast then it has to be a petrol there is no competition you can't drive a diesel like a petrol! Most diesels need a turbo to boost the HP and torque, compare a 2.0 turbo diesel to a 2.0 petrol and they are more or less the same. compare to a turbo 2.0 and no comparison again. Plus diesel stinks and the pumps are usually greasy.

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Diesel VS Petrol 23 database queries in 0.0101759 seconds