corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Liverpool v Aston Villa (AKA Spain v England)

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Liverpool v Aston Villa (AKA Spain v England)
Robbo

User status: Offline
12th Feb 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
quote:
Originally posted by Nath
Still, no disgrace losing to the best team in the World.

Italy weren't playing
You didnt see Italy get brushged aside by Brazil the other night?
JonnyJ

12th Feb 09 at 19:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Try supporting York mate, no one in York knows the team exists. People of York would rather have a new swimming pool than a football team.

Im sure their opinions would change if we were premiership
strick206

12th Feb 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
Sorry, i'm just in a bit of a bad mood tonight

I dont disagree that he does deserve some of the caps that he has gained, but when you consider that whilst gaining these 108 caps, he has only actually played 90 mins 58 times it's not all that great. He's never delievered when it matters (apart from the free kick) and has always been a let down in World Cups & the Euro's.

I dont really hate the big teams as such. I just hate what they stand for, and how far away they are from what Football should be about. I used to admire Man United back in the mid 90's when they used all the kids coming through the youth team to win all them trophies. However, since Sky TV came in and handed out a shed load of cash clubs have changed. They dont give a shit about anyone as long as they are at the top. Thats what I hate. All they are interested is the money, they along with the media have drawn kids away from supporting the local clubs which hinders any progress they try to make. Every saturday I see loads of folk jump on a train and go over the Manchester, these people should be going down the road to watch Huddersfield.

Clubs like us have it 10 times as hard to make it big these days than we used to becuase nobody gives a shit about us. No matter what we do, or how hard we try, unless we make into the Premier League hardly anybody knows we exist.

I agree with that, but it is a struggle that it is possible to overcome, just look at Wigan and how far they have come in the last few years

Yes they might not have a big support, but they have made it and are currently in the top half

United still do have a lot of kids coming through, remember they are everywhere, just some aren't good enough for the very top level

Ebanks-Blake is doing amazing in the championship, so is chris eagles, and many others in other teams

Danny Welbeck and Frazier campbell are doing very well, as is danny gibson who looks like a very good talent
JonnyJ

12th Feb 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wigan weren't going anywhere until they got a bit of money coming in. They were stuck in Div 3 below us!

Same story for Fulham and Hull
Marc

12th Feb 09 at 20:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Its OK, Marc only supports United as Osbaldwick dont have a team - so he obviously picked his next local team

They have a cricket club
Danny P

12th Feb 09 at 20:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by strick206I agree with that, but it is a struggle that it is possible to overcome, just look at Wigan and how far they have come in the last few years

Yes they might not have a big support, but they have made it and are currently in the top half

United still do have a lot of kids coming through, remember they are everywhere, just some aren't good enough for the very top level

Ebanks-Blake is doing amazing in the championship, so is chris eagles, and many others in other teams

Danny Welbeck and Frazier campbell are doing very well, as is danny gibson who looks like a very good talent

It is possible to overcome, but as Jonny has said Wigan had loads of money thrown at them. So did Fulham, & even Hull to a certain extent. Fair play for them for getting up there. It wasn't really done by hardwork at good coaching or good management, they simply had the funds to buy better players than anyone else in thier League. Any team lucky enough to get a weathly investor could do that.

Fair point with the players coming through at Man Utd, but i'd be willing to bet that only 1, and at a push 2 of those players will make it in Uniteds first team and play on a regular basis. They may be given a chance, but if they have a slow start they'll be replaced by a proven player that United buy for £25m.

Gone slightly away from the thread title now havn't we
strick206

12th Feb 09 at 20:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Gone slightly away from the thread title now havn't we

Agreed but no-one gives a shit about England

Yes they had money thrown at them, but so did leeds, good management and good business sense counts for a lot in Wigan's progression

Dave Whelan is very good at the business side of things, hecne his success also, because he came from having nothing (a stall on a market selling bog roll iirc)
Danny P

12th Feb 09 at 20:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I dont doubt the chairmans ability to be succesful. I mean that the club hadn't progressed through the leagues due to them having good coaches & managers. These people were provided with money to go out and buy the best players available.

Fair enough thats a skill, but its easier to do that with good players, rather than a load of donkeys (apart from Scolari )
chris-sri

13th Feb 09 at 12:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by chris-sri
That is good news, he deserves it

Are you talking about Beckham getting his 108th cap?

Bollocks

He deserves his caps. He is the only player who always looks like he wants to be on the pitch for England. His work rate is second to none and he is one of the few English players of his generation who we can honestly say are world class. He got my respect when I watched England miss out of qualification for Euro 2008 against Croatia. The rest of the team were absolute dog shit and plainly looked like they couldn't be arsed to be there, Beckham came on and raised the tempo and the performance. Granted it was not enough but when the rest of the players sloped off straight down the tunnel at the end of the game to a chorus of boos Beckham walked all the way around the pitch applauding the fans. In my opinion he deserves his place in history as one of the all time England greats.
Danny P

13th Feb 09 at 14:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by chris-sri
He deserves his caps. He is the only player who always looks like he wants to be on the pitch for England. His work rate is second to none and he is one of the few English players of his generation who we can honestly say are world class. He got my respect when I watched England miss out of qualification for Euro 2008 against Croatia. The rest of the team were absolute dog shit and plainly looked like they couldn't be arsed to be there, Beckham came on and raised the tempo and the performance. Granted it was not enough but when the rest of the players sloped off straight down the tunnel at the end of the game to a chorus of boos Beckham walked all the way around the pitch applauding the fans. In my opinion he deserves his place in history as one of the all time England greats.

I'm not saying he doesn't deserve any of the caps, but when people say he is on a par with Bobby Moore its laughable TBH.

Out of all these 108 caps he only actually played 90 mins 58 times. How many of these caps has he earnt by only playing 10 mins? Should even count as a cap IMO.

This article sums it up for me - http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/philmcnulty/2009/02/david_beckham_has_split_opinio.html

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Liverpool v Aston Villa (AKA Spain v England) 24 database queries in 0.0127170 seconds