corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Facebook Update their TOS... They now own all your data

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Facebook Update their TOS... They now own all your data
Ren

User status: Offline
17th Feb 09 at 22:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.ireallyshouldstudy.com/technology/2009/02/17/facebook-users-not-cool-with-new-tos/

I just saw this on a few news sites. For anyone who doesn't know what this means, anything that you post on Facebook belongs to Facebook. Everything in your inbox etc, nothing is private on that site anymore. This also means that the MANC who got owned on facebook a while back can be used to advertise the site. Hell, they can even use the picture of him with a Dildo as the front page and there wouldn't be anything he could do about it.

Not that it matters to anyone, most people just agree to the TOS without checking them. Just thought it's an interesting subject to bring up. What else could they do with this data

[Edited on 17-02-2009 by Ren]
paul.mitchell1984

17th Feb 09 at 22:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

linky no work for me
Ren

17th Feb 09 at 22:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Seattle - On February 4, 2009 Facebook, the popular social website, made a very unheralded change to the Terms of Service on its website. The change to the TOS indicates that Facebook has the right to use anything that is posted on Facebook in any future advertising or marketing campaigns which many users are taking to mean that Facebook can use personal arguments that happen on Facebook, or any embarrassing incident that happens on the site, to promote and advertise the site. The part that is bothering many users is the part about Facebook declaring they can retain and store any data that is posted on Facebook.

Privacy advocates are angry with these changes and claim that Facebook has made changes to their TOS that they are not allowed to make. Mark Zuckerberg, Facebook CEO, points to a section in the TOS that states that Facebook can make changes to its TOS as it sees fit and without seeking the permission of those that use its site. Zuckerberg also said that Facebook has no intention on collecting and using the personal information that people post on its website but rather that these changes are necessary to allow proper communication between Facebook users. According to Zuckerberg Facebook needs to have those types of licensing agreements in place in order to allow people to legally share information on Facebook but many critics contend that it does not explain why Facebook needs to save and archive all personal messages that are posted to their website.

While Facebook defends its right to grant itself these kinds of exclusive licenses for users’ content many privacy groups see this as yet another step to insuring that there is nowhere on the internet that people can put private information without it being compromised. Privacy groups contend that with the major search engines being accused of collecting private individual search data and then using that in their advertising plans and social websites like Facebook now granting themselves the license to do anything they see fit with users’ private conversations and information it will not be long before there is no where to hide on the internet from the watchful eye of some corporate entity.

Facebook maintains that it is only doing what it needs to do in order to operate under the law but as more changes are made to the way data is collected on the internet it has become very apparent that the battle for your privacy while using any website is a battle that is just beginning to pick up momentum.

[Edited on 17-02-2009 by Ren]
XSIHardy

17th Feb 09 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dont bother me, i dont have any silly images and im ugly as fuck so i wont be on no adverts/promos
ed

17th Feb 09 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They can do whatever they like with the countless pictures of me drinking snakebite, wearing a silly hat, singing karaoke or a combination of the above.
alan-g-w

17th Feb 09 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They'll probably claim it's an anti-terrorism move or something.

Bin Laden better delete his profile sharpish.
BluKoo

17th Feb 09 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm not on facebook, so not a problem for me. Bebo better not try any of that shit though.
strick206

18th Feb 09 at 10:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Terms of Use Update
Close

Over the past few days, we have received a lot of feedback about the new terms we posted two weeks ago. Because of this response, we have decided to return to our previous Terms of Use while we resolve the issues that people have raised. For more information, visit the Facebook Blog.

If you want to share your thoughts on what should be in the new terms, check out our group Facebook Bill of Rights and Responsibilities.
Ojc

18th Feb 09 at 10:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I like Facebook because I can interact with old school friends and spy on ex-girlfriends and watch how fat they are getting, but fuck me is the site becoming more and more like Bebo/Myspace on a daily basis.
Kyle T
Premium Member

18th Feb 09 at 12:20   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
I like Facebook because I can interact with old school friends and spy on ex-girlfriends and watch how fat they are getting, but fuck me is the site becoming more and more like Bebo/Myspace on a daily basis.

same, I only use it to check up on my ex's dress size and to see the tossers at school still working at McDonalds

Lotus Elise 111R

Impreza WRX STi

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Facebook Update their TOS... They now own all your data 24 database queries in 0.0131679 seconds