corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » suspension problem.. (wishbones)

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author suspension problem.. (wishbones)
chris_uk
Premium Member

User status: Offline
27th Feb 09 at 18:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i was cleaning the car yesterday and noticed that the right side was lower by about 8 - 10 mm.. i remember hitting a pothole the other day so might of been that.

so after cleaning i pulled off the wheels and looked at the coilover height, on was 54mm from the bottom of the adjuster to the top of the twist plate the other just 53mm..

now i cant see this causing such a big difference once the wheels are on so i put it down to the surface it was on, not perfectly straight but not a cobbled road etc..

then i noticed a dint in the floating wishbone (top one) checked the other side and this had the same mark...

these are the pic

rear left

wishbone

above

rear right

wishbone

above

i spoke to warren at gaz and had a chat with him about the bumpstops and spring rates etc and the springs warren sent me out arrived this afternoon, so when i got home i whipped off the wheel and had propper look at the wishbones.. and not only is it dinted but looks bent.

these are the springs i received and they are actaully 475 originally 395

then i took the wheel off and had a look, i wondered how far the wheel would have to travel inside the arch to get the top wishbone to make contact with the subframe, so i removed the coilover and jacked it up.

as you can see its pretty far inside the arch, so first thing i did was measure the gap between the two bolt holes to get a distance

and then measured the coilover.

the gap that the coilover was to fit in was just roughly 13.5" and if we measure the coilover its 17.5" ish from centre hole to centre hole.. but without a spring its 14" (inc bumpstop) so the coilover effectivly does nothing to stop the wishbone hitting the tub, so as a conclusion i didnt think that the bumpstop was big enough..

i spoke to warren to explain my findings and at the time nothing was mentioned about replacing the wishbones but he agreed so very kindly to send me out some new rear shocks so i could fit the new springs and use them.

and also fit 2" bumpstops, hopefully it should suffice in stopping this problem

all in all.. good day still gotta pay £200 for wishbones tho £400 at autovaux £200 from breakers.

[Edited on 27-02-2009 by chris_uk]
Nick-S

27th Feb 09 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

are the new springs for the front or rear and why did you need them?
also why do u need new rear shocks?

that must of been a hell of a pot hole!!!

[Edited on 27-02-2009 by GSi_16v]
chris_uk
Premium Member

27th Feb 09 at 19:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

for the rear, the new spring are stiffer so it makes it harder for the shock to compress..

meaning that it should help in future..
Nick-S

27th Feb 09 at 19:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

surely that will afect handeling ballance though?

are the rear shock fucked?

[Edited on 27-02-2009 by GSi_16v]
bartstart

27th Feb 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much are springs from gaz
bartstart

27th Feb 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much are springs from gaz
tom_simes
Show Staff
Organiser: South Wales
Premium Member

27th Feb 09 at 23:59   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I don't get it Chris, if the distance the wishbones have to move to get into contact with the body is 13.5", and the coilovers including standard bumpstops are 14", then surely with the coilovers fitted, even with a fully compressed spring sitting on the bumpstops still has 0.5" of space from hitting the body?
chris_uk
Premium Member

28th Feb 09 at 00:18   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well thats including the bumpstop which is 1/2 " but they are not very hard and would compress if forced..

either way it cant stop it as i have a big dint in my wishbone lol

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » suspension problem.. (wishbones) 23 database queries in 0.5243039 seconds