corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ford Focus's.. MK1/1.5's, or Astra MK4 instead?

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Ford Focus's.. MK1/1.5's, or Astra MK4 instead?
corsasriboy

User status: Offline
20th Nov 08 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Vauxhall-Astra-1-8-16v-SXI-Irmscher-Silver_W0QQitemZ130270015538QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutomobiles_UK?hash=item130270015538&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1301%7C66%3A2%7C65%3A12%7C39%3A1%7C240%3A1318
Stokie Dave

21st Nov 08 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wonder if you can get much outta the 115BHP one with exhaust and induction mods... anyone know?

Are they reliable engines also?

Car above looks nice
corsasriboy

21st Nov 08 at 18:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

there is stuff about for them including a dbilas inlet kit! i've seen a white one in scotland which was rolling roaded at something like 176bhp with exhaust, inlet cams and remap. how much you after for your corsa? what condition is it in?
Fad

21st Nov 08 at 18:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Focus much nicer car to drive.

I had a mk4 GSi and always dove my mums ST170 istead.

Even the standard Focus range is good hence why it was the best seller for years
Stokie Dave

21st Nov 08 at 19:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

See this is what gets me.. potentially the Astra is more reliable but after coming from a Corsa, I'd like a more focused drive (no pun intended lol) - I hear Astras feel a little detached from the steering wheel in terms of feedback despite good grip levels.

My current car:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/607755.htm
corsasriboy

22nd Nov 08 at 19:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just have to test drive both cars then mate! choose whichever you prefer the drive of.
Stokie Dave

22nd Nov 08 at 20:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah I think thats what it'd have to come down to really, how it feels on the road
T21SVJ

22nd Nov 08 at 20:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stokie Dave
See this is what gets me.. potentially the Astra is more reliable but after coming from a Corsa, I'd like a more focused drive (no pun intended lol) - I hear Astras feel a little detached from the steering wheel in terms of feedback despite good grip levels.

My current car:

http://www.pistonheads.co.uk/sales/607755.htm

focus is really nice to drive, handling is brill on them, i see what you mean by the astra but the drive is different to the corsa B.

its a personal opinion but ive been really put of the focus, if your going to get 1 make sure its got ffsh and the speedo been changed and the speed sensor
Stokie Dave

22nd Nov 08 at 20:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Spose you have good cars and bad cars from any make, I've had a shit corsa and a very very good corsa so who knows lol
richc

22nd Nov 08 at 21:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Have driven a MK4 astra coupe which i cant imahgine being much different.

Really liked it. I thought the 1.8 in the coupe went well and was very comfortable and hanlde well (did have different springs though)

I drove 2002 2.0 focus today. I have driven the 1.6 aswell.

I thought the 2.0 handled well enough with steering very direct to where you point it

I didnt think it went to well though. I think my 1.7 puma pulled better!

The 2.0 is more of a cruiser. 70mph at 3k!
Cole

22nd Nov 08 at 21:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

what about this one looks very clean for the yr
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&item=190266557158
Stokie Dave

23rd Nov 08 at 02:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

lol have been looking at your car mate, looks good Just aint quite got that much cash really, whatever I can get for my Corsa kinda thing Hard times haha.

Spot on though it'd be mint for what I'm after, 2.2 would be nice
Cole

23rd Nov 08 at 10:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

how much you got dave make me an offer
pow
Premium Member

23rd Nov 08 at 10:06   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't bother with the 1.8 16v Focus, granny engine.

2.0 Zetec is better on fuel, quicker and sounds from standard
richc

23rd Nov 08 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pow
Don't bother with the 1.8 16v Focus, granny engine.

2.0 Zetec is better on fuel, quicker and sounds from standard

I wasnt impressed with the 2.0 tbh. I thought it werent very good on fuel, no particually quick and i thought a 1.4 sport with a maxpower air filter on sounded better
Liam

23rd Nov 08 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have driven a Focus, and own a mk4 astra. For my money I thought the astra was better. I prefer the sitting position in the astra, the focus felt quite high up, which I didn't like. The focus seems to hold its value, as I looked at X reg focus' that were the same price as my 52 astra.
Bonney

23rd Nov 08 at 13:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mum has a focus 1.6 ghia (Facelift one), had it since new, its on a 04 plate and the only thing it has ever needed is new tyres, brake pads, a service, and a new suspension spring. Been a great car for them
Stokie Dave

7th Mar 09 at 18:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Been looking into these again mainly as I hate how my Corsa handles B roads, I want something which feels planted at speed...

Anyone got more opinions on handling of either car? State of my finances I'm prob looking at 1.8 engines for both, think I prefer the Astra now but deffo interested to hear peoples experiences of their handling and comments about how stable they are on fast sweeping corners
Liam

7th Mar 09 at 18:26   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

1.8 astra has TC, my mate has the 1.8 sport. Handles ok, for the size of the car. He paid £1200 for a "S" reg.
pow
Premium Member

7th Mar 09 at 18:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IMO the Focus is a different Leauge to the Astra.

They handle
Stokie Dave

7th Mar 09 at 18:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've driven a Focus but not really pushed it. Felt nice to drive but clutch bite point was stupidly high, common trait on Fords it seems lol.

I aint driven an Astra MK4 yet... but it would be nice have a change from Vaux for a while... however I think the Astra's seem/feel a bit better built.

Swings and roundabouts.
Kano

7th Mar 09 at 19:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Stokie Dave
I've driven a Focus but not really pushed it. Felt nice to drive but clutch bite point was stupidly high, common trait on Fords it seems lol.

I aint driven an Astra MK4 yet... but it would be nice have a change from Vaux for a while... however I think the Astra's seem/feel a bit better built.

Swings and roundabouts.

Focus wins hands down for me. Driven a lot of Mk4 astras as I used to sell them.. Not a nice car imo, terrible handling, noisy engines, crap gear boxes, uncomfy seats, I just dont rate them..

I've got an ST170 focus just now and my dad used to have a base model 1.6 from new. Even lower spec models handle well and the engines are bullet proof. Why dont you go for an ST170 and have the best of both worlds? Can pick them up for 3 - 4k easily and any astra at the same money will be half the car..

A 1.8 will be plenty quick for what you want, my mate has one and he has had it for 7 years and swears by it, uses it more than his RS...

Kano

7th Mar 09 at 19:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Oh and the high clutch is a Focus thing, mines exactly the same. You get used to it after a few days..
Stokie Dave

8th Mar 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do like ST170's.. if I could get one for 3k I'd consider it but I'm a bit pushed to spend more... and then at 3k I could also get a 172, Ibiza Cupra etc but I know the Focus would feel properly planted and feel more like the kinda car I'm aiming for handling wise.

I'd love something which accelerates to 100 pretty rapidly but it's rare I gun about anyway so it's more for pub talk points than actual use lol. The 1.8 would probably be fine all in all.

Ta for the feedback though mate

[Edited on 08-03-2009 by Stokie Dave]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » Ford Focus's.. MK1/1.5's, or Astra MK4 instead? 23 database queries in 0.0148540 seconds