corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Football Fitness/Team & Updates etc.

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Football Fitness/Team & Updates etc.
nathy_87

User status: Offline
   11th Mar 09 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right guys I'm guessing some/most of you play football on a weekend/during the week, well i need your help. A mate from work and a few of his mate plus some more cotnacts have organised/are organising a 11 aside team,(kit/Sponser etc) to play saturday matches we've priced it all up etc and its not that bad actually. But what i am going to be struggling with is keeping fit. I aint fat but i'm not thin (13st). Just wondering what everyone does to keep fit. I go for a jog every evening approx 2 miles and will be starting it of a mornign too. But what else can i do to keep in shape?

[Edited on 12-03-2009 by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo]
Marc

11th Mar 09 at 13:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Join a gym?

Stop eating crap, if you do.
Hammer

11th Mar 09 at 13:22   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Play football is the simple answer, even going to a gym and running etc... uses different muscles.

When I was going to the gym regularly I still found an hour of intense football had my legs aching.
Marc

11th Mar 09 at 13:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Running won't prepare you for football either. I run approx 2k every time I go to the gym yet playing foorball tires you out. All the twisting and turning, you end up running a lot further than you think.
Cavey

11th Mar 09 at 13:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I walk over 10 miles every morning as i'm a postman, and I play hockey on a saturday, so my stamina and CV stuff are both pretty good, but it's a lot different doing sports, 10metre sprints etc... i'm always aching on the Saturday evening and Sunday day after sports.

(I know hockey isn't football but it's the same principle)
Danny P

11th Mar 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What do I do to keep fit?

Drink 15 pints on a Saturday & have a curry. Turn up on Sunday and play.
Hammer

11th Mar 09 at 13:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Danny P
What do I do to keep fit?

Drink 15 pints on a Saturday & have a curry. Turn up on Sunday and play.

George Best's way to the top
nathy_87

11th Mar 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah i eat crap like chips/cakes other fatty foods. thats another question what i now need to ask: What dietry(sp?) requirements is recommended.
Adge

11th Mar 09 at 15:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i wudnt worry about it, ull be suprise how many other teams are similar,
if it amature league football i wud not worry at all
Carl

11th Mar 09 at 18:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

A good one is jog around a football pitch do that twice, but then on the third lap do sprint from the half way line to the nearest corner flag, then jog the rest of the way around, when you get back to the half way line you sprinted from, do the sprint again but this time add from one corner flag to the next.
Next time do half way to corner flag - to other corner flag - to opposite half way and jog.

Keep doing that until its a fuill sprint around, however it probably won't be much of a sprint by the end!
JoeyB

11th Mar 09 at 21:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in the same boat as you a couple of years back. But I've lost 2 stone over the last couple of years just by playing football upto 4 times a week. Most of that indoor. I also used to go for runs but nothing prepares you better for football than football!

Just keep playing and you'll see your fitness improve. I remember the first time I played, was dead in 5 mins flat. Now I can run the full hour (or 90mins on a Friday night) and still want more at the end.

Outdoor football still hurts me sometimes though, but I think that is down to long grass down the park lol
smack

11th Mar 09 at 21:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no point jogging every night, your body needs to rest every once in a wile
MarkM

12th Mar 09 at 09:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Shuttles and the like are good exercise in preparation for footy...as is the run round a pitch routine mentioned above.
nathy_87

12th Mar 09 at 13:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ok thanks for the advice guys.

had a confirmation e-mail arrive, saying that his managed to get a sponser (people who are going to provide our ktis) just need a team colour, fiance etc and a blooming GoalKeeper lol. On the plus side we get free training kit/cones/balls/nets with our sponsers

[Edited on 12-03-2009 by 5dr corsa-3dr_polo]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Sports Day » Football Fitness/Team & Updates etc. 24 database queries in 0.0111461 seconds