corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » Sony licensing Physx from nvidia

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Sony licensing Physx from nvidia
John

User status: Offline
17th Mar 09 at 22:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.nvidia.com/object/io_1237287245570.html

Quite interesting, ps3 platform will be lasting for quite a while I think.
PaulW

17th Mar 09 at 22:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There are many other viable physics engines out there, all just as capable.

See no reason why this is a major thing for the PS3 tbh, just because it's free to developers doesn't mean its any better than proprietary or in-house libraries and API sets.

Will do nothing for the longevity of the platform either in my opinion.
John

17th Mar 09 at 22:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

It's the latest thing that people are adding to their gaming pc's so people must be developing for it, which is better than some random thing that nobody uses.

They are nowhere near the full capabilities of the ps3 and adding features like this can only help imo.
PaulW

17th Mar 09 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

PhysX is nothing new, its only because Nvidia are developing into it, that its becoming more mainstream. It's still not a popular thing for people to add into there machines either (hardware wise) as a separate addon card as originally plannes, but since nvidia are starting to release combined GPU/PhysX combo's, thats why its being more mainstream.

And the SDK already exists for the 360, aswell as PC, again all free. All Nvidia are doing are saying they now have it to support the architecture for the PS3.

It's a good robust engine, don't get me wrong, and as soon as the hardware side of things does become more mainstream (which will happen over the next 2 to 3 years of GPU's from Nvidia), then fair enough, but the PS3, 360, and current crop of PC's which is mainstream doesn't have the dedicated hardware layer to do it, so its still all software.

I've been playing with various middleware sollutions for a while now, as for the final year in uni I'm developing a library to simulate material deformation and stuff on collisions within games and such (instead of pre-modelled objects being substituted depending on damage level)

[Edited on 17-03-2009 by PaulW]
PhilC

18th Mar 09 at 09:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I spent two hours doing what Ubisoft should have done, whihc was find a version that worked with Brothers In Arms!

The one on the disc didn't!

New Poll