corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » X16XE into a 1.0 12v model

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author X16XE into a 1.0 12v model
shaunmods
Premium Member

User status: Offline
   7th Apr 09 at 12:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hey guys. My dads trying to talk me out of doing an xe conversion on my car at the minute. So I'm just trying to work out what would be involved in putting an x16xe into my 1.0 12v instead Would I be right in thinking I need the following:

- Engine
- F15 Gearbox
- ECU + Chip
- Wiring loom
- x16 Shafts and hubs (or can I use my 1.0 ones?)
- X16xe Fuel pump - Do the fuel lines need to be changed? Or will it be ok seeing as the 1.0 is MPI?
- Mounts
- Uprated Brakes, Probably go for 2.0 ones
- Manifold, down pipe and cat pipe
- 16v Dials

Anything I've have missed guys? Cheers

[Edited on 07-04-2009 by shaunmods]
Sean-B

7th Apr 09 at 13:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Your dad is very very knowledgable I'd listen to him!!

Buy a 1.6 White sport. Insurance will be cheaper. Will be more reliable and will have more features.

Then just swap all your mods over. I'm so glad I didn't convert my old one.
Torsa g

7th Apr 09 at 13:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by shaunmods
Hey guys. My dads trying to talk me out of doing an xe conversion on my car at the minute. So I'm just trying to work out what would be involved in putting an x16xe into my 1.0 12v instead Would I be right in thinking I need the following:

- Engine
- F15 Gearbox
- ECU + Chip
- Wiring loom
- X16xe Fuel pump - Do the fuel lines need to be changed? Or will it be ok seeing as the 1.0 is MPI?
- Mounts
- 16v Dials
Anything I have missed guys? Cheers

Personally shaun i would listen to your dad as your car is nice and neat as where putting the 20xe in will ruin the look as the engine is not made for the car and reliability wise arnt the best unless you like tinkering, but saying that ive had 2 problems with mine and that was snapping the gearbox bell housing (giving it many of berries) which was my fault. and the bottom end going ( which again my fault for not treating it nicely) apart from that its been spot on, but if you need any pointers ect or a hand just let me know as im only down the road!
shaunmods
Premium Member

7th Apr 09 at 13:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B

Buy a 1.6 White sport. Insurance will be cheaper. Will be more reliable and will have more features.

You're right mate it would a hell of a lot easier but without sounding ghey I'm attached to this car If I bought a 1.6 sport even though it would look the same it wouldnt be the same if you get me lol.

Plus I really want to have a go at a conversion! Dads up for doing it with me as long as its an engine hes ok with

I'm thinking rather than buying all the bits seperatly I might be better off buying a spares or repairs 1.6 sport so I know I'll have everything I need.

Cheers Tom, Yeah got to agree with your there. A 1.6 is going to be a lot newer engine, meant for the car. Will be cheaper for me to insure as well which is a big issue for me

am4nf

7th Apr 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do a 1.8 instead
Torsa g

7th Apr 09 at 13:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

- Engine
- F15 Gearbox
- ECU + Chip
- Wiring loom
- Mounts
- 16v Dials
Anything I have missed guys? Cheers

The fuel lines have the same unions as the 1.6 rail so you will be fine there

You can use your hubs shaun and you could use your shafts and cv aswell

You'll need the transponder that goes around the ignition barrel to go with the imobilzing shizzle.

Plus i think you need the water pipes and radiator of a 16v ect,

And dont forget about the epas system, im not to clued up on wiring these up so im not to sure how its done, unless you run a fluid rack
Torsa g

7th Apr 09 at 13:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Sean-B

You're right mate it would a hell of a lot easier but without sounding ghey I'm attached to this car If I bought a 1.6 sport even though it would look the same it wouldnt be the same if you get me lol.

Plus I really want to have a go at a conversion! Dads up for doing it with me as long as its an engine hes ok with

I'm thinking rather than buying all the bits seperatly I might be better off buying a spares or repairs 1.6 sport so I know I'll have everything I need.

Cheers Tom, Yeah got to agree with your there. A 1.6 is going to be a lot newer engine, meant for the car. Will be cheaper for me to insure as well which is a big issue for me

id do the conversion with a powerbox on , as sean will praps tell you, these engines arent the best when the original inlet on and are hard to et around, but the inlet will make such an improvement on bhp and fitting the engine ect. ID GO FOR IT!!
shaunmods
Premium Member

7th Apr 09 at 13:35   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Forgot about the radiator etc. Nice one Tom Not Sure what I would do about power steering. I'd love to have it but I bet its a right ball ache to do. I can live without it.

Its Seans fault im looking at this conversion After seeing how well his goes with the new inlet etc I think its going to be more than enough power for me

Torsa g

7th Apr 09 at 14:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Forgot about the radiator etc. Nice one Tom Not Sure what I would do about power steering. I'd love to have it but I bet its a right ball ache to do. I can live without it.

Its Seans fault im looking at this conversion After seeing how well his goes with the new inlet etc I think its going to be more than enough power for me

im sure it would be easy enuf to get the epas running on it ive looked at it before and its noit that hard to be honest, i would be a breaker and then rebuild the whole engine,
Davidkent

7th Apr 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

For the EPS Don't you need the whole Column though, Which means Dash out?

Driveshafts and CV's etc Should be the same, aswell as Hubs, Struts, etc etc.

Engine, box, ECU, Transponder Stuff, Radiator and Pipes etc and It'd be wise to use the Ancillaries such as alternator and started from the 1.6 one.

Change the brakes too and you won't know yourself.

Insurance wise, You'd be much better off buying a 1.6 Sport in White and Swapping your mods over, as insurance companies often won't insure cars with an Engine change - Others do but at a price, and you usually have to be at least 19 etc.

I'm doing an XE soon on my brothers car and can't wait - But you do need to bear in mind time too, as it may be a few days job in the end, and if its your main car its not ideal!
shaunmods
Premium Member

7th Apr 09 at 15:11   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Davidkent
Insurance wise, You'd be much better off buying a 1.6 Sport in White and Swapping your mods over, as insurance companies often won't insure cars with an Engine change - Others do but at a price, and you usually have to be at least 19 etc.

I'm doing an XE soon on my brothers car and can't wait - But you do need to bear in mind time too, as it may be a few days job in the end, and if its your main car its not ideal!

Yeah the insurance is the only real concern I have. But I will be 19 and touch wood have 2ncb so it should be ok

Mines not got powersteering as its only a merit so I'm used to not having it. Shouldnt think it would be that much heavier with a 1.6 in it?

I only use the car to get to college and work really. Do hardly an miles at all so I'll be able to manage without it I would have thought. If not I could always get a little run around to get me about.

Thanks for you help and advice everyone

Davidkent

7th Apr 09 at 15:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair shout - Other bonus is your not sticking a 150 brake 2.0 in it, so it shouldn't be half as bad
swill_omnibus

7th Apr 09 at 15:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by am4nf
do a 1.8 instead

Got a point there shaun It's what im doing

Also exhaust system will need to be changed
Sean-B

7th Apr 09 at 16:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no power steering

i was just as attached to my 1.2, and when i got the 1.6 for a month it still didn't feel like mine, but once i changed a few things i soon saw it as my own.

i think you will regret putting it in your 1.0L tbh, especally with out power steering.

i went back in my 1.2 the other day and couldn't beleive how hard it is to adjust lines mid corner etc.
swill_omnibus

7th Apr 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

And if it's the 1.6 wouldn't it be an F13 gearbox?
Sean-B

7th Apr 09 at 17:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by swill_omnibus
And if it's the 1.6 wouldn't it be an F13 gearbox?

no
swill_omnibus

7th Apr 09 at 17:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ah right, thought the 1.4 and 1.6 we're same gearbox wise.

What box does the 1.6 use? F15 i'd imagine then yeah?
Sean-B

7th Apr 09 at 17:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yup, the limiter would be way to low in 5th for the 1.6
swill_omnibus

7th Apr 09 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhh right i see. Hmmm, wonder if i should re-order my clutch for my 1.8 conversion........ whoops
Sean-B

7th Apr 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

well in my 1.6 i get 80ish in 3rd 105ish in 4th and limiter (130-135) ish in 5th,

the f13 redlines at 120ish i believe far to low for a 1.8
swill_omnibus

7th Apr 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah i think it's 120 as remember DaveyLC was saying that.

I'm sure it fits on 1.8 though? Ker-fuddled! I'll have to read some my notes to make sure!

Cheers though Sean, learn sumin new everyday thank you.
Sean-B

7th Apr 09 at 17:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yea it will, fit and you will get faster accel, but it will be revving quite high on the motorway etc, tbh its not like your gong 120+ very often
swill_omnibus

7th Apr 09 at 17:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yeah im not much off a speeder to be honest, but thought as i just want to get my car up and running again i favored just keeping my F13.

Sorry Shaun spamming up your thread here!

Either way go for a 1.8
aaronc190

7th Apr 09 at 21:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

if your take the gearbox off..you should put a flat flywheel on it instead of the big chunky one..

New Poll