corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » House Day » Little bit of boiler advice please

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Little bit of boiler advice please
myke

User status: Offline
23rd Apr 09 at 10:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi guys, hoping matt, dean and anyone else in the heating trade / know can offer some advise.

I've got my boiler in the middle of a kitchen wall at the moment between a window and the back door but i'd really like to put n a bigger window that goes all the way and butts up to the door frame.

I'd had an old work mate who's now a corgi engineer come and take a look at relocating the boiler, but we got a bit off track and he ended up quoting to have a new combi system with gubbins in the loft and remove the hot cylinder etc.
I'd originally thought i could just move the current one to the garage, but he said it was too old to bother with and things kind of escalated from there.

Here's some pics of my setup:

Can i just move the boiler to the other side of the door?
Run any pipes that come from underneath currently through the floor, and anything that comes from the top currently over the top and down on the other side? I don't mind chasing out the floor/walls, but are my current pipes likely to be up to spec etc, and what other issues should i expect to encounter?

Can i budget £600-700 for a new standard style boiler, do most of the gopher work myself and then get a corgi engineer to comission it?

Cheers for any advice.
mattk

24th Apr 09 at 10:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont think you would find anyone who would be willing to move that boiler, it is old and the chances of getting it on and off the wall without problems would be slim, the old ballanced flues are a pain to get out without force too.

regulations state that if any work is to be done on your heating it should be brought upto the standard of the building regulations part L, that would mean a new condensing boiler, TRV valves fitted to all your radiators, a room thermostat and a programmer. which is going to cost you a bomb.

you can get condensing normal boilers (ie not combi) If I was your mate Id stick you one of them in, and turn a blind eye to the rest, you could put it at the side of the door obviously if you got rid of the cupboards. pipes from above could be run along the top of the door at ceiling height and boxed in or under the floorboards up stairs and the ones from the bottom under the floor as you said
myke

24th Apr 09 at 11:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

cheers matt

What would be the implications of not having it all done by the book?

problems when selling?

Will a new boiler have the pumps and that inside it? The current one has a seperate pump behind the top cover.
mattk

24th Apr 09 at 14:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure what problems you would have trying to sell, Im not well up on that, the new boiler would have a pump built in yes
myke

24th Apr 09 at 15:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

excellent.

one more thing, sorry.
I've got a plumb centre catalogue of boilers, but what sort of spec should i be looking at?

2 bed semi, sometimes 4 inhabitants.
gas central heating, power shower and washing machine needing hot inputs.

any mnfrs to avoid?

cheers
mattk

24th Apr 09 at 15:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ahh power shower, if you move to a combi that would have to go

you want about 30kws Baxi/Potterton/Main are all the same, you pay a little more for the name on the Baxi but imo they are as good as each other. The Worcester Greenstar is a decent boiler, piss easy to fit and really small. Vailiant are good but can be expensive but again easy to fit
AndyKent

24th Apr 09 at 19:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

About problems when you sell, it depends. If a 'proper' survey was carried out (and not one of the drive by bank valuation crap surveys) then you'd be picked up on having a revised installation without bringing it up to current standards.

As a surveyor, that would say to me that either you did it yourself (dodgy) or paid someone else to do a shit job deliberately (dodgy). I'd state in a report to my client that it wasn't done properly and they might want to knock money off the value to cover a new installation.

As far as legally, you'd never get fined or taken to court or anything rediculous, so up to you.
deanmcreynolds26

24th Apr 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i see why he didnt wana move it for you mate, they flues aint the easiest to remove as u can imagine with them all being filled and sealed...

could get a nice systems boiler on the other side most likely a pump seperate version though.

Much you get qouted for fitting a combi and converting everything over?
myke

27th Apr 09 at 10:12   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cool, cheers guys.

Dean, he quoted something like £2900 or £3100. Can't remember but not far either side of £3k.
deanmcreynolds26

27th Apr 09 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i hope for that price it includes new radiators and pipe for the whole house?

if i were you id try to get just a boiler change and move it, depending on what condition your rads are in, i assume they are gona be alright as the house aint looking that old....
myke

27th Apr 09 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Rads are all OK, but i'd like to put TRV's on them.

That price was for the boiler, pipe, any other parts required and labour.
Seems too high?

Hadn't got any other quotes, but used to work with the guy so trusted his price as reasonable.
mattk

27th Apr 09 at 12:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

£3k for a boiler swap, Id do a full heating for that

I normally charge around £1300 - £1500 for just a swap
myke

27th Apr 09 at 13:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That was swapping to a combi system and relocating it all to the loft, but using existing radiators.

Was his price way off the mark then?

This is all to fit a £400 window as well. There's nothing wrong with the current system.
mattk

27th Apr 09 at 14:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

probably £2k then if its a conversion

but Im up north, I dont know what the price of pipe ect is like down there, just get another quote or 2

if you have a combi you do know you will loose the power shower

I always make people aware of that, bit me on the arse with one stupid bint once
myke

27th Apr 09 at 15:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I didn't know that, but noted it when you said on Friday, cheers.
I don't know the reasoning behind it though. If the combi can provide for the hot tap of a bath, why couldn't it supply the shower?
Something to do with pressure differences?
mattk

27th Apr 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah its the pressure difference between the hot and the cold, your hot water pressure might increase with the combi anyway, its possible to have a mixer shower on a combi, deffo cant have pumped shower though

New Poll