corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » who here was/is in the raf?

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author who here was/is in the raf?
sumner2k3

User status: Offline
30th Apr 09 at 16:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Iv been thinking about going into the RAF for a while, iv even done the apptitude test and passed for the career that i want to do but im unsure..

im going in as a mover and i want some info..

so, who can give me as much info about it as possible?

thanks
PaulW

30th Apr 09 at 16:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.corsasport.co.uk/board/member.php?action=viewpro&member=Dean_W
sumner2k3

30th Apr 09 at 16:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Dean_W's profile?
PaulW

30th Apr 09 at 16:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

He recently got in himself in the past 18 months or so IIRC
Ste
Premium Member

30th Apr 09 at 20:00   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I was in for 6 1/2 years. If you have a few GCSEs I'd recommend a technical trade as you will get paid more and have better career prospects when you get out.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
harrisp

30th Apr 09 at 21:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
I was in for 6 1/2 years. If you have a few GCSEs I'd recommend a technical trade as you will get paid more and have better career prospects when you get out.

What did you do? Im wanting to go in as an aircraft technician (mechanical)
What is life in general like in the RAF?
sumner2k3

30th Apr 09 at 22:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

dont have the gcse's to do something like that however when i done the apptitude test i had enough marks to do it but i heard that if you go in as something you can swap trades when your in there, that its easier this way once your already in there?
mattk

30th Apr 09 at 22:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Can you be a plumber in the Army?
kiddy_sean

30th Apr 09 at 22:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by mattk
Can you be a plumber in the Army?

yeah in the royal engerneers (sp) they do most trades
mattk

30th Apr 09 at 22:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

do you have to go through all that them shouting at you and getting beats and shit?
kiddy_sean

30th Apr 09 at 23:01   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah you join do your basic training then do yor trade training so yeah a lot of shouting and stuff lol
mattk

30th Apr 09 at 23:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

fuck that then
DizzyRebel

30th Apr 09 at 23:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

In the army they train you to be a soldier first, tradesman second. IE if you got sent out on tour to iraq to fix a water pipe, once the pipe is fixed they would want you to pick up your gun and go out shooting rag heads.

The RAF is generaly relaxed and if you ever do go on tour its to somewhere nice and sedate, not in the thick of battle.
Ste
Premium Member

1st May 09 at 03:08   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sumner2k3
i heard that if you go in as something you can swap trades when your in there, that its easier this way once your already in there?

That isn't the best method tbh. It has changed since I was in. I trained as an avionics mechanic and after serving a few years on a front line squadron I then went back to do 18 months technical training to become an avionics technician.

I believe these days, you start as a flem (flight line mechanic) doing aircraft servicing and see-offs. You spend time with each trade and get a feel for it, then do specific training in a chosen trade.

quote:
Originally posted by DizzyRebel
The RAF is generaly relaxed and if you ever do go on tour its to somewhere nice and sedate, not in the thick of battle.

Not always true. Obviously long range bombers and surveillance aircraft don't need to be in the thick of it but helicopters and some fast jets need to be pretty close to the action.

In my time in the RAF I served in the Balkans war, Sierra Leone, Iraq and Afghanistan. I never stepped foot in any of those countries, but due to the nature of my work I can't say where I based and it was a shit hole desert post. I have also spent time working out of Cyprus, Canada, America, France, Italy, Azores and a few others I can't mention.

I worked on Harrier GR7 and Nimrod R1.

I left as I felt I needed to get away from being in a war and never seeing my girlfriend and wanted to settle down.

I now work at BAe as an aircraft electrician building Eurofighter Typhoons. I earn loads more than my RAF mates and never have to sleep in a tent in the desert. But, I wouldn't have this job without my RAF experience.

Would I do it again? Yeah, but be a bit more sensible with my wages

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
J4M13

1st May 09 at 04:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im currently in the process of becoming an Raf Regiment Gunner, cant wait to hopefully get in! Just got fitness tests left to do now before basic training.

DizzyRebel, thats not true the raf gunners are out on the ground in afghan mate. After all they believe attack is the best way of defence, so they dont just hang back at base nice and safe.

[Edited on 01-05-2009 by J4M13]
sumner2k3

1st May 09 at 14:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

whilst in there though is it 6am-5pm working or do you works shifts or different hours at different times?
Russ

1st May 09 at 15:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

goto the RAFCO and ask
AuroraSport

1st May 09 at 16:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im an aircraft mechanic in the RAF, joined 2 years ago. Best decision i ever made tbh, if anyone is serious about it then do go and enquire. It changes all the time but training last anywhere between 18months to two years by the time you pass your mechs course. You do time in between on a squadron learning basic flight maintenance.

Life is great although you need to have a particular mindset, you will live in crap rooms for a long time, you will go away a lot (but thats what you join for) and tbh the pay while perhaps better than a lot of jobs, as Ste W says is laughable compared to what the civvy companies can offer you but thats the job. But for the mates you have and the social side, you cant get it on a job in civvy street.

Since joining ive been posted down south on helicopters, been to Oman last year, done a few UK dets and im sat in Afghanistan right now typing this If anyone has questions, feel free to u2u me
sumner2k3

1st May 09 at 19:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Afghanistan eh, cool! id love to go there if i went in the raf.. how hard is basic training and what times are you up in the morning and what time you finnish?
rob_zetec

1st May 09 at 21:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've just applied to be a mover myself, got my english, maths etc tests on the 10th of june, hope i pass, great career if you get in, sets you up for life if you stay. If i do get in it will just be the 9 years then apply for the police
Bart

1st May 09 at 21:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IIRC the RAF were doing away with alot of their own techies and hiring in subbies as a way of cutting down, but they found it too expensive and are now trying to re-stock.

Sumner2k3, u2u me your email address if you like. I have a very close friend who taught the mechanics side of the B52 (both classroom and outside) up until last year. I believe he was in since a young lad and came out with an extremly good pension. He would be happy to answer any questions over email.

He would also answer any questions honestly and has great experience.
He was based in Lynham.

Last year I went and had a play in the simulator they taught the pilots in, it was absolutly breath taking.. really out of this world experience. Needless to say, it was as close to flying a real plane as id ever get.

[Edited on 01-05-2009 by Bart]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » who here was/is in the raf? 24 database queries in 0.0133631 seconds