corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Help Zone, Modification and ICE Advice » x16xe corsa b gsi using oil

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author x16xe corsa b gsi using oil
pattso187

User status: Offline
25th May 09 at 06:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Hi,

I've just bought a 94 corsa b gsi with the x16xe engine and it seems to be using a fair bit of oil, it also blows smoke on takeoff intermittantly. I was just going to do a compression check to see how the rings are and were wondering what the specs are for these? Also are there any common faults eg: valve stem seals? motors only done 160,000kms.
Thanks,

Patrick.
Craig P

25th May 09 at 08:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What colour smoke is it?If its Blue then it almost likely to be your Piston Rings.If its white then your Head gasket or valve stem seals,But this wouldnt make it use Oil so ill go with my first guess.
pattso187

25th May 09 at 21:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea, it is definately blue smoke. Why would it be white if it was valve stems? White is usually just coolant/water being evaporated. Its still oil being pulled through them if they are faulty also so why wouldnt that be using oil?
smcGSI16V

25th May 09 at 21:57   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Blue smoke on start up and on deceleration will be be valve stem seals, blue smoke underload( heavy acceleration) will be piston ring wear.

One thing that many people do not know, because they either don't have or have read the vauxhall owners manual; is that vauxhall say that-
Up to 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles is deemed ok/ normal usage for these engines.
Craig P

25th May 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by smcGSI16V
Blue smoke on start up and on deceleration will be be valve stem seals, blue smoke underload( heavy acceleration) will be piston ring wear.

One thing that many people do not know, because they either don't have or have read the vauxhall owners manual; is that vauxhall say that-
Up to 1 litre of oil per 1000 miles is deemed ok/ normal usage for these engines.

pattso187

26th May 09 at 23:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That 1 litre per 1000 is rubbish, manufacturers just put that in to cover there asses. In the real world no correctly built engine unless its a grenade motor that is stripped down after every meet should not even use half that. I work for audi and we state a similar usage in our owners manuals yet if the car uses more than 2/3rds of it we test by whatever means neccessary and repair the fault. Most of the time that usage is also only stated to cover the run in period.
Craig P

27th May 09 at 06:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by pattso187
That 1 litre per 1000 is rubbish, manufacturers just put that in to cover there asses. In the real world no correctly built engine unless its a grenade motor that is stripped down after every meet should not even use half that. I work for audi and we state a similar usage in our owners manuals yet if the car uses more than 2/3rds of it we test by whatever means neccessary and repair the fault. Most of the time that usage is also only stated to cover the run in period.

Its not rubbish at all,every car uses Oil and how much is all depending on how you drive.Obviously if you scream its arse of all the time and do lots of mileage its going to use more Etc.

Also your driving a 13-14 year old car?And unless you got it from new your not going to know what kind of life its had in the past (Especially with it being a GSI) So you've got to expect it to be using oil,Its normal for these Engine's to anyhow.

But just check for any Wear/Damage,Oil Leaks,Check your coolant and make sure there's no Oil in that Etc.
DaveyLC

27th May 09 at 07:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

What oil are you using?? You could try going to 15w40 if the engine is high mileage..

Also alot of people use Magnatec which isnt worth the plastic bottle it comes in and doesnt hold its viscosity causing older engines to smoke like a bitch.

[Edited on 27-05-2009 by DaveyLC]
pattso187

29th May 09 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm running 20w50 as the manual states and as most pre 96 cars will run. Also the car is doing mostly highway driving and no i dont flog the tits off it. its using around one litre per 750km which i assure you is excessive for any motor. And i do assume it has had a hard life hence the premature failure, whatever it may be. The head gasket is not blown at least not between an oil gallery and a coolant gallery and there are no oil leaks. The car idles smooth and appears to have plenty of power for what it is. Anyways more to the point. As i originally stated. I suspect its either rings or valve stem seals. So could anyone help me out and give me an official compression reading and i'll carry out a compression test. And check for deviation etc.

Thanks,

Patrick.
Camo

29th May 09 at 08:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

as in my other post im using 15w40 oil and it smokes at start up but not under heavy load, also got some lucas oil stabilizer in there as well, im thinking 15w40 mite be 2 thick its really only started smoking since i did the oil change, im using 15w40 GM mineral oil
DaveyLC

29th May 09 at 08:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

20w50?? If you are burning oil that thick then its probably fair to say its fucked lol
Torsa g

29th May 09 at 09:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Craig P
What colour smoke is it?If its Blue then it almost likely to be your Piston Rings.If its white then your Head gasket or valve stem seals,But this wouldnt make it use Oil so ill go with my first guess.

White if its your valve stem seals

Please explain your theory!!
Craig P

29th May 09 at 16:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Torsa g
quote:
Originally posted by Craig P

White if its your valve stem seals

Please explain your theory!!

Is this not right?
pattso187

31st May 09 at 01:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

DOES ANYBODY HAVE THE COMPRESSION SPECS????
barneykarl

31st May 09 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Between 150psi and 200psi would be ok, and all four should be within 10psi of each other.
pattso187

1st Jun 09 at 08:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Thanks heaps Barneykarl. Did a compression test today and came up great. 1 - 200psi, 2 - 205psi, 3 - 195 psi, 4 - 200psi. Gunna change the valve stems shortly and see how she goes.
barneykarl

1st Jun 09 at 17:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No problem, new seals is a good idea, if you see my old mate Gary in Perth say hello for me.

New Poll