corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 41k

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 41k
DizzyRebel

User status: Offline
8th Jun 09 at 23:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
my god.... NO

the car will try and follow the weight STRAIGHT, as the weight is acting against the best efforts of your tyres and suspension to trun in. You'll have traction.... but you'll have a lump just trying to go straight on.

Hello Understeer!!!

Have a go in one, everyone told me my V6 corsa would be shit on the bends, wouldnt handle etc. Yet everyone i took out in it couldnt belive how responsive and planted it was in the corners after assuming it would be a jelly on wheels. Get the right suspension setup and it will keep up with any other hot hatch of similar power on the road. Proved by running with my mate in his clio 172, outgunning a 106 gti, running with an astra vxr, focus st, fiesta st etc.

Everyone says they will be shit, but in reality they are only as god as the next high power fwd car. Keep your little whizz bang high revving 1.6 4 pot screaming to overtake a pushbike thats .2 of a second faster through a twisty section, and ill just leave it in top and cruise along with the Lazy V6 tone purring away, toeing the pedal everytime i want to speed up without having to thrash the engine everywhere.

Track focussed cars are shit on the road, id rather drive a £500 mondeo daily than a high strung, stripped out stiffened to the max track car. Ill take driveability over raceability for a road car anyday of the week.
AK

8th Jun 09 at 23:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

you're still missing the point...

You said they handle well (because of their weight over the front), we say they dont. No one mentioned track bar you ( i think )

A lot of people have a perceived impression of a good handling car being teeth shatteringly firm.... they dont have to be. Its all about balance.

A old, poorly designed, budget fwd hatch back with a heavy 6pot engine shoehorned in the front is NEVER going to as refined (at handling corners) as a clio 172/cup for example.

...... thats just round normal roads.

[Edited on 08-06-2009 by AK]
DizzyRebel

8th Jun 09 at 23:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Maybe so, but corsa V6's work on the road and if you drove one you would see the appeal. You said they wouldnt go around corners, im just telling you they do so as well as anything else of the same power and class of its era. I dont claim them to handle amazingly, just that they are satisfactory and above all great fun on the roads.
Corsa_Sport21

8th Jun 09 at 23:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Mk2 Golfs with heavy VR6 engines seem to be a popular conversion too and im pretty sure ive seen a few go around Knockhill putting in some pretty decent lap times.Infact the last video i seen of 1 it was pushing a 309 gti around.

I had a slightly heavier than a corsa Mk3 Astra Gsi with a V6 in it and it handled pretty awesome with just a budget suspension kit(-60mm springs on standard shocks with the extra weight if the V6 on top) and lets face it,the Mk3 Astra was never praised for its handling,infact it was dissed for its bad handling from factory.
Ste
Premium Member

9th Jun 09 at 04:04   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I can't believe any of you are saying a Corsa handles!

A standard GSi goes round bends like a wet towel so bunging a weighty V6 in is hardly going to improve it.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Fonz
Premium Member

9th Jun 09 at 07:37   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
anyway - this may sound nasty but dont waste your money on the engine.

have to agree it is an 8v and whatever you do will not have the same output as a 16v you will always be one step behind, its like standing at the start of a 100m sprint with your laces tied!
Mertin

9th Jun 09 at 09:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Corsa_Sport21
Mk2 Golfs with heavy VR6 engines seem to be a popular conversion too and im pretty sure ive seen a few go around Knockhill putting in some pretty decent lap times.Infact the last video i seen of 1 it was pushing a 309 gti around.

The GTi came with a 2.0 engine as standard, a heavy engine thats supposed to be there.

Heaviest engine a corsa ever had standard was a 1.6 16v

Wont the golf be built better and designed to have a heavier engine meaning that it will handle better?
DaveyLC

9th Jun 09 at 09:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AK
v6 in a corsa is a STUPID idea. Pointless, too heavy etc.

I put Alan's missus V6 astra on my ramp last week and fuck me its front end heavy
DaveyLC

9th Jun 09 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
I can't believe any of you are saying a Corsa handles!

A standard GSi goes round bends like a wet towel so bunging a weighty V6 in is hardly going to improve it.

A wet towel? Now theres no need to be that generous!
AK

9th Jun 09 at 10:05   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

wet towel

Glad to see some sense now
DizzyRebel

9th Jun 09 at 10:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No one ever claimed a corsa was a good handling car. Only that a V6 doesnt make them any worse.

They are fun, not perfectly balanced race cars.... Doesnt anyone understand the meaning of fun anymore or do cars have to be perfect nurburgring racers?
AK

9th Jun 09 at 11:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cypriot_Sri_Geeza

9th Jun 09 at 18:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

haha what a thread!!

El-pal must be sitting there like so do i modify the 8v Sri engine or not!

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » General Chat » 41k 24 database queries in 0.0111520 seconds