corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is it illegal...

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Is it illegal...
radicalry00

User status: Offline
25th Jun 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

..to warn other motorists that there's a speed trap ahead?
fir3vip3r

25th Jun 09 at 19:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes, obstruction of the law or some shite
richardworrall
Premium Member

25th Jun 09 at 21:24   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yes but i do it all the time
ssj_kakarot

25th Jun 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ah i remeber reading about this sometime, apparently the actual law breaking is for obstructing the police in the process of catching someone commiting a criminal offence, however, its a bit hazy as to actually convict someone of the offence they would have to prove that the person you warned was actually going to go through the speed trap faster than 30mph (actually breaking the law), the problem is that you may be flashing someone who is going slower than 30mph any way so they cant really prove that you were stopping the police catching someone who was breaking the law.

in practise they would probs just do you for something stupid any way as there bell ends most of the time.
Adam-D

25th Jun 09 at 22:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

technically flashing your light is allowed only to let other drivers you are there,
so. you can do it.
Ian
Site Administrator

25th Jun 09 at 22:29   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Depends what you were doing.

Flashing your headlights merely warns other motorists of your presence but if it could be proven that it was your intent to cause another road user to escape prosecution then you would be guilty of perverting the course of justice.

I would be arguing that the Police are there to slow people down and that is all you did.

I'm not clear whether anyone has actually been done for it.
ssj_kakarot

25th Jun 09 at 22:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ian
Depends what you were doing.

Flashing your headlights merely warns other motorists of your presence but if it could be proven that it was your intent to cause another road user to escape prosecution then you would be guilty of perverting the course of justice.

I would be arguing that the Police are there to slow people down and that is all you did.

I'm not clear whether anyone has actually been done for it.

nope dont think they have, like i said its difficult to actualy convict someone for it. there wasnt a precedent when i was looking before, might have been one since then though.

[Edited on 25-06-2009 by ssj_kakarot]
baza31

25th Jun 09 at 22:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i do it all time, saw one in a bus stop today the cunts
AlunJ

26th Jun 09 at 07:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

they are badgers aye, I have respect for people who warn me and try to return the favour.
pow
Premium Member

26th Jun 09 at 07:34   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to do it, until one day I was caught "warning" an unmarked traffic unit.

They wern't happy tbh
Gaz

26th Jun 09 at 09:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

TBH, I always warn people if they are bombing it and the police are in one of those "legal" but completely hidden places on the road.

Fight fire with Fire I say...

The other week I warned a Biker who was TANNING it down a road, gave him the wave down sign and got the thumbs up, He shouldnt have been speeding in the first place BUT if the coppers werent hidden then people wouldnt rebel.
willay
Organiser: South East, National Events
Premium Member

26th Jun 09 at 09:52   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah fuck the police.
Lynny

26th Jun 09 at 10:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yes illegal, obstruction
ssj_kakarot

26th Jun 09 at 11:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://londonbikers.com/news/6266/lords-asked-to-rule-on-speed-trap-case

read that case on it

the question posed to the lore lords was this :

"Today the judges certified the following question for consideration by the House of Lords: "For there to be an obstruction of a police constable in the execution of his duty by the giving of a warning of the presence of a speed trap, is it necessary for the prosecution to prove that those warned were themselves exceeding the speed limit, or were likely to do so at the location of the speed trap?"

which is basically what i already said, yes its illegal but its near enough imposible for them to actually convict you for it, which is good.

[Edited on 26-06-2009 by ssj_kakarot]

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Is it illegal... 23 database queries in 0.0133169 seconds