corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Go-karting

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Go-karting
Liam B

User status: Offline
30th Jun 09 at 19:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Off go-karting tomorrow with college, we're having a tournament. I really want to win Any tips or advice?
All Torque

30th Jun 09 at 19:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Teamkill!
LukeS

30th Jun 09 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

slow in, fast out
Matt L

30th Jun 09 at 19:19   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ask the owner/regular how to go round the track the quickest before hand. make sure you get the quickest cart as all the ones i have been to have good and bad ones then nail it round and try not to brake.
Ryan

30th Jun 09 at 19:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no braking, try not to slide.
Liam B

30th Jun 09 at 19:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Are they easy to slide? I've only been once and it was a disaster, smashed straight into my brother in the first lap
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

30th Jun 09 at 19:30   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

very easy to slide if you go i to hot in a corner

slow in fast out
try and drive as straight as possible
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

30th Jun 09 at 19:31   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when they tell you to take it easy on the first lap

dont
Jake

30th Jun 09 at 19:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

when they take it easy on the first few laps, do. the tyres will be cold and no one likes a moron crashing into the barriers slowing down the whole track
IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

30th Jun 09 at 19:39   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

tyres dont take long to warm up
Jake

30th Jun 09 at 19:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the front tyres dont, the backs do. all depends on the weather obviously and if the kart has been used beforehand
Liam B

30th Jun 09 at 19:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its an outside track, its not very long and quite twisty, nowhere to open up really. Il go for the lap record haha

http://www.herefordshireraceway.org.uk/track.htm
Bart

30th Jun 09 at 19:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

slow in fast out doesnt really work that well if you want to drive aggressively and get infront as much as possible.

Dont brake too much and dont break going round a corners... if you think you need to brake while going round a corner, dont, let the kart take you or you will slide.

If theres a big ground of people infront, keep a small distance, its really likely that they'll crash and you want to be going around them, not stopping and having to wait behind them.. expect that.

I've always made podium when go karting and can generally get in the top 3 of fastest laps despite being nearly 17st
Liam B

30th Jun 09 at 19:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

So basically, bravery pills should be in my breakfast tomorrow morning, fuck the tactics?
Ste
Premium Member

30th Jun 09 at 19:53   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

All this talk of not braking is bollocks. The fastest way around a track is to on the power as much as possible, that means using the brakes to slow you quickly before you enter a corner. Do you see formula one drivers coasting the last half of a straight so they don't have to brake

The most efficient way to navigate a corner is to brake only when your wheels are straight, enter the corner under slight power and as you hit the apex, accelerate. The simple way of learning this, and works best on longer corners, is to imagine 2 pieces of string tied to your throttle pedal. one going to the 3 o'clock position of the steering wheel, the other to the 9 o'clock (when the wheel is straight and throttle fully down) as you turn the wheel, the throttle will be pulled up by the string depending on how much you turn, if you come out of a bend, imagine the 'string theory' and you will get maximum traction and therefore best acceleration without over powering and spinning.

hth, thats what I was taught by pro's when I was karting in the RAF.

I would rather lose by a mile because i built my own car, than win by an inch because someone else built it for me.
Liam B

30th Jun 09 at 20:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Cheers Ste, im not greatly fussed about winning just want to have a laugh and beat a couple of the lads, last day at college tomorrow
Bart

30th Jun 09 at 21:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by flame-red
So basically, bravery pills should be in my breakfast tomorrow morning, fuck the tactics?

I've not said fuck the tatics have I?
Ste have re-iterated my point.... dont brake on the corners themselves and dont over brake or you will be considerably slower.
Liam B

30th Jun 09 at 22:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Fair enough mate! Il probably forget all this tomorrow anyway once i get going
Twiggy

30th Jun 09 at 22:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I am fat.... I fail at Karting
paul.mitchell1984

1st Jul 09 at 14:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

size doesnt make much difference so long as you canhit the apexs and corners right, i went a few months back and there was miliseconds between a fat lad that could drive and a skinny lad that sould drive so doesnt make tooo much difference imho
MoesTavern

1st Jul 09 at 14:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had a go for the first time in years in Ibiza last year, I was absolutely terrible, came last both times and managed to fuck my shoulder somehow.

As far as I could tell the thing I was doing wrong was braking too much.
Ojc

1st Jul 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ask Paul J IMO.
jr

1st Jul 09 at 15:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ste W
All this talk of not braking is bollocks. The fastest way around a track is to on the power as much as possible, that means using the brakes to slow you quickly before you enter a corner. Do you see formula one drivers coasting the last half of a straight so they don't have to brake

The most efficient way to navigate a corner is to brake only when your wheels are straight, enter the corner under slight power and as you hit the apex, accelerate. The simple way of learning this, and works best on longer corners, is to imagine 2 pieces of string tied to your throttle pedal. one going to the 3 o'clock position of the steering wheel, the other to the 9 o'clock (when the wheel is straight and throttle fully down) as you turn the wheel, the throttle will be pulled up by the string depending on how much you turn, if you come out of a bend, imagine the 'string theory' and you will get maximum traction and therefore best acceleration without over powering and spinning.

hth, thats what I was taught by pro's when I was karting in the RAF.

correct, except most hire karts run a centrifugal clutch, which as we all know and the name suggusts will take a while to apply power

what youve said i would agree with for a direct drive/rotax max etc, but not the honda gx160/200 hire karts which IMO need to be driven in a diffrent way to be quick

[Edited on 01-07-2009 by jr]
Liam B

1st Jul 09 at 15:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go-karting was class today, had 8 heats, i got through to the final. Was five of us in the final, was battling for second with another lad then got nudged slightly sending me into a tire wall which put me in last place, was a great day though and im just happy i got into the final

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Go-karting 24 database queries in 0.0163190 seconds