corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Greaves Hall

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Greaves Hall
andy1868

User status: Offline
20th Jul 09 at 20:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Well, i finally decided i'd go for a proper look round Greave's Hall in Banks, prompted by Adam's thread from last week Annoyingly, Lee had my camera so i had to borrow my dads, which fortunately is the exact same as mine but the mount for my tripod was with the camera so all i had was a tiny little tripod about 15cm high

Just a brief history of the place is as follows, copy and pasted no doubt

"Greaves Hall was built in 1900 by Thomas Talbot Leyland Scarisbrick and was surrounded by some 124 acres. Mr Scarisbrick, his wife and sons lived in the mansion until the end of the first World War. He then moved to Scarisbrick Hall and the mansion was sold to a consortium of local farmers headed by Mr Robert Ball a local neighbour. The mansion stood empty for a while and it is understood that Mr Ball purchased the estate and cultivated the land himself. Mr Ball tried without success to sell the estate in 1923 in the “Country Life Magazine”.

On the 3rd May 1932 after several years of Dormancy the mansion was leased to a Mrs Dorothy Glaister Greaves and what then became the Sherbrook School of Greaves Hall.

The Lancashire Hospital Board leased the Hall for the isolation of Diphtheria cases in the late 30’s. September 1939 saw Greaves Hall being approved to receive, control, care and treat 100 defectives. In 1953 the first sod of earth was cut in the first of several phases to allow Greaves Hall to eventually provide some 1,008 beds for mentally subnormal patients of both sexes. The first phase was completed at a cost of £878,667 in 1958, this provided accommodation for 270 patients. This phase included the boiler house, water tower, female patient’s workshops, nurse’s home, 28 staff houses and extensive sewer works.

1959 to 1964 saw phase two completed providing further accommodation for 340 patients. The cost was £1,531,477 and for this sum of monies, some 8 villa style buildings were constructed, kitchen and stores block, laundry, recreation hall, gymnasium, male patient’s workshops, garages, farm buildings, artisan workshops, school and 8 classrooms, nurses training school, nurses hostel and 36 staff houses.

The black and white photographs have been added from other sources to show the contrast and the history behind Greaves Hall without which the full extent of the ruins cannot be fully appreciated.

The 1989 White paper on Community Care ‘Caring for People’ and the ‘National Health Service and Community Care Act’, set the scene for the gradual run-down of the hospital. From the 1st April 1993, the community care reforms have been functional. With patients being cared for in the community the closure of Greaves Hall resulted.

The mock tudor mansion now awaits its fate. It shows signs of extreme fire damage and a great deal has now been knocked down since the fires. I personally think this modern way of business financially rewarding itself at the destruction of what our ancestors have worked hard to provide is a very sad method to live by."

So, without more delay some photos

A wicked collapse on the roof, we soon decided we weren't going in the old admin building

the old bike shed attached to the admin building

From the back of the house looking over towards the water tower

Part of the old workshops? (i can't remember which building the workshops were in, there was another building under the tower that has recently been knocked down)

Graffiti inside

Winches for opening the skylights

More graffiti

Thermometer just outside a walk-in fridge

Somebody had been arranging the bricks

Looking back towards the workshops on the way back from the tower. The photo was taken in the middle of an opening, which used to be another building, all thats left is the tiled floor. Looked almost like a dancefloor

Walking back towards the house from the tower

At the back of the house, stood on a massive piles of bricks, that used to be the back part of the house

And now some poor shots from inside, i only took these from an opening in the shutters as we decided not to go in, the rubble on the floor used to be the roof, which looked dangerous. Alot of the building is also heavily fire damaged so we jibbed it.

Back towards the front and off we went

Adam_B

20th Jul 09 at 21:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I want to go there!

[Edited on 20-07-2009 by Adam_B]
Jenko_Sport

20th Jul 09 at 21:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Some of tht graffiti is awsome.
MarkSport

21st Jul 09 at 00:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I would love to go there,where about is it located?
andy1868

21st Jul 09 at 08:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Its in a small place called Banks, i think its classed as Southport there, it can't be far from the Lancashire border though.

you can see Greave's Hall Avenue on this map, if you zoom in then look near the dual carriageway not far from the roundabout you can see the old house then the other buildings are behind it
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?hl=en&safe=off&q=banks+southport&um=1&ie=UTF-8&split=0&gl=uk&ei=WXtlSoSsM5mRjAfOnoymAQ&sa=X&oi=geocode_result&ct=title&resnum=1

[Edited on 21-07-2009 by andy1868]
Adam_B

24th Jul 09 at 17:39   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I went today, shall put some pics in here later
Graham88

25th Jul 09 at 17:20   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Looks a bit too accessible and ruined for me to find it massively interesting, but some of that graffiti is fucking amazing. Shame it's there and all that but it's more like talent than graffiti!
Adam_B

27th Jul 09 at 17:59   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Nothing really terribly exciting but we did have a wander inside, its a shame its such a wreck

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

Hosted on Fotki

http://public.fotki.com/Adamski/other-stuff/out_and_about/2009/greaves-hall/

[Edited on 27-07-2009 by Adam_B]
Cosmo

27th Jul 09 at 20:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ive spent a few nights in that place when I was younger, only about 5mins from where I grew up.
andy1868

27th Jul 09 at 20:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

some ace photos there adam i need to get a better camera and some skillz
Adam_B

29th Jul 09 at 10:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You ever tried Whittingham Hospital?
andy1868

31st Jul 09 at 18:58   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

no but its on the (ever expanding) list of places to try so one day yes!
Adam_B

1st Aug 09 at 22:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Aparently security is a nightmare!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Snap Day » Greaves Hall 24 database queries in 0.0147851 seconds