corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » anyone play golf

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author anyone play golf
Cole

User status: Offline
1st Aug 09 at 20:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I fancy getting into golf had a bit of a session with the father in law hitting balls off the cliff at great yarmouth this week and really enjoyed it i have been wanting to get into it for a while and made my mind up this week taht im gonna give it a proper go only as a hobby mind but i have no idea where to start obviously a few lessons 1st but when it comes to clubs i have no idea where to even begin just wanting to know what would be the best stuff to buy as a beginner really doesnt have to be expensive just something that i can practice with down the range and eventually on the course itself
_Allan_

1st Aug 09 at 20:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I just go the driving range every now and then and try and hit things on the range. The best is when the little buggy comes out to collect the balls and you try and hit it
allza

2nd Aug 09 at 10:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

You want to get a set of irons with fairly big heads and quite a large cavity in the back. These will be easiest to hit for beginners. I would get a couple of lesson to teach you the basics but from then on its all about practice. Don't just hit balls anywhere on the range, make different targets to aim for. Also focus on getting good contact with the ball rather than hitting it as hard as possible. Great fun when you start to get good at it.
will_doyle
Banned

2nd Aug 09 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I do
N16K

2nd Aug 09 at 10:21   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lesson are a great idea for learning the basics. Beyond that it is up to you how you will progress. Any mates or family play or members of club?
Liam

2nd Aug 09 at 11:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by _Allan_
I just go the driving range every now and then and try and hit things on the range. The best is when the little buggy comes out to collect the balls and you try and hit it

Same here, play on a pitch and putt every now and again aswell, but im shit
Cole

2nd Aug 09 at 16:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yeah have a few friends that play plus my father inlaw plays hence the reason why i want to get into it plus need something to take my mind off work and playing my xbox all the time
jacko198

2nd Aug 09 at 16:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Go get some lessons of the pro at youre local golfclub, even book 10 in advanced, that way giving you an incentive to get out more. Again, asking a pro would help with choosing a good set, can always test them out aswell, they can take a look at youre swing and recomend a few sets
Ellis

2nd Aug 09 at 16:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Definatly get a few lessons, equipment doesn't matter when you're starting out - just get the cheapest set to get you started.

Then it's a matter of fine tuning a swing for the rest of your life, I've been playing since I was 7 y/o.

Most frustrating game on earth - fact.

Even if you only hit one good shot in 18 holes, you'll keep going back.
Tommy L

2nd Aug 09 at 17:37   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I wouldn't book 10 lessons but most certainly get up to 5 to begin with. See how you feel, get on a course (Par 3) to begin with as you may just not enjoy it.

Pick up a full set from sports direct as i think they are great prices and half decent

http://www.sportsdirect.com/Products/Choose+Your+Sport/Golf/Golf+Club+Sets/Default.aspx

Just remember golf is a game that can be great one round and awful the next, so don't give up if you dont hit the ball every time. The front nine i was awful today, 3rd time i've played in over a year, but on the back nine was awesome was +4 and that included a triple bogey I've decided to get down to single figures by the end of next year and hopefully scratch by the end of next.

[Edited on 02-08-2009 by corsa_tomtom]
AndyKent

2nd Aug 09 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I have a set of clubs but I don't play.

Sometimes if I've had a shit day at work I'll go up the nearest non-members club with a driving range and hit through a bucket for the hell of it, but not very often. In fact I've not been up there for 9 months at least
Ellis

2nd Aug 09 at 17:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Down to scratch by the end of next? That would be some season, took me two years to from 19 to 7.
Tommy L

2nd Aug 09 at 17:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

2 years 4 months to get down to scratch Tall order but i've been down to 8, just over 4 years ago. I don't see why i can't do it
BluKoo

2nd Aug 09 at 17:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by AndyKent
I have a set of clubs but I don't play.

Me too.

Had a membership at my local golf course for two years and I played 9 holes once, and that was it...

That was an expensive game
AndyKent

2nd Aug 09 at 17:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know loads of people who've done that

Having a chat at work the other day and between 10 of us we reckon we've got 7 sets of clubs and not one person has played more than 3 games in their life
jacko198

3rd Aug 09 at 01:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I know i say it alot, but buy youre clubs from the pro shop at the club you will join!
Mad Moe

3rd Aug 09 at 08:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've been playing a few years now and really enjoy. Like everyone has said it probably best just to buy a starter set for £200-£300 and book yourself 4-5 lessons with a Pro. That' s pretty much what I done and I'm now hovering between 16-18 handicap although I hoping the new Driver and Wedges may loose a couple of more shots off my round. Also as Jacko has said try and support your local Pro Shop!
Leighton

3rd Aug 09 at 08:12   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I play golf, not the best at it but its a good laugh.
StuartVRS

3rd Aug 09 at 10:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i used to play off 8 and at least 3 times a week. Stopped playing for a few years and now i cant hit a damn thing straight. Given up again.
Adam_B

3rd Aug 09 at 11:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I play, im ok but i dont have a hanycap or anyhting. Just go on public courses and driving range etc
Leighton

3rd Aug 09 at 11:16   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same as what i do
Need to sort out a NWNW meet playing golf
Adam_B

3rd Aug 09 at 11:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

IvIarkgraham
Premium Member

3rd Aug 09 at 17:44   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive improved alot recently

ive taken about 10-15 shots off my game since last year

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » anyone play golf 23 database queries in 0.0140920 seconds