corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » speaking to people on the phone.

New Poll
  <<  1    2    3  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author speaking to people on the phone.
Ojc

User status: Offline
19th Aug 09 at 08:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I'm on the help desk all week at work, get irate financial advisers ringing up giving you policy numbers etc. Hate receiving calls!

We must do a very similar job. All IFA's are cunts.
Tom

19th Aug 09 at 08:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm fine with speaking to people on the phone, think it's just a confidence thing and being used to it (I also used to deal with complaints over the phone). My girlfriends mum/brother get me to phone up to get fast food delivered because they don't like talking on the phone
sc0ott

19th Aug 09 at 08:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i sold a phone about 3 months ago to an ex. i had/have insurance on that phone and i pay something like £9 a month. i still havent cancelled the insurance because i cant be bothered phoning. i would rather text them saying i want to cancel.
C2RL R

19th Aug 09 at 08:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

yep i'm the same. there is something about the first thirty seconds of a call that scares the crap out of me. i hate intorducing myself and announcing the reason i am calling them. i get my words all mixed up and sound like a fucking retard. it does my head in because I am great at letter writing and talking face to face. i'm glad there are so many people that are the same as i've always thought it was just me.

do you think it has anything to do with our generation? older people always seem relaxed on the phone and i think it's because they have always had to use it to sort stuff out. we have had emails available for ages so we don't have to use the phone if we can help it.

[Edited on 19-08-2009 by C2RL R]
LukeD

19th Aug 09 at 09:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Telephone Job interviews. Nervous allready because its an interview; but on the phone aswell- no chance... its a misson even saying the simpliest of things.
jezza

19th Aug 09 at 09:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Haha, I didn't know so many people got like this, I do too. Always get really fidgety before I actually make the call, but then it's fine anyway. Always like to know what I've got to say beforehand.

My ex used to have to go out of the room to make calls, and got angry if I came near her

Current girlfriend makes me order any takeaways over the phone etc, though I am working on breaking this habit!
C2RL R

19th Aug 09 at 09:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i'm ok phoning takeaways and taxi's etc, its just every other phone call that i hate.
DaveyLC

19th Aug 09 at 09:56   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

MAN UP!

A mate of mine I work with has this problem.. He says standing up helps.
kz

19th Aug 09 at 10:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by sc0ott
i sold a phone about 3 months ago to an ex. i had/have insurance on that phone and i pay something like £9 a month. i still havent cancelled the insurance because i cant be bothered phoning. i would rather text them saying i want to cancel.

lol sometimes it's do with being lazy. About two years ago I phoned up and put insurance on my phone, I now think it's a waste and wanna cancel it but this time around I just cba phoning
C2RL R

19th Aug 09 at 10:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

just cancel the direct debit. job done.
Marc

19th Aug 09 at 11:13   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Ojc
quote:
Originally posted by Marc
I'm on the help desk all week at work, get irate financial advisers ringing up giving you policy numbers etc. Hate receiving calls!

We must do a very similar job. All IFA's are cunts.

I work for Aviva, setting up bank accounts etc. But have to cover the help desk every 2 weeks.
Ojc

19th Aug 09 at 11:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by DaveyLC
MAN UP!

A mate of mine I work with has this problem.. He says standing up helps.

That deffo helps, but when everyone else is sat down you look like a plank.
DaveyLC

19th Aug 09 at 11:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Person on the phone cant see that though
Danny P

19th Aug 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I pace up & down like a mad man when i'm on't phone

When I know what i'm talking about, like someone rings me at work i'm fine. Its when I have to ring out and request something that I dont really know what the hell I want I have a problem. Ringing IT at work is a nightmare as I often have no clue as to what I actually want and expect them to fix my PC with me uttering the words "its not working properly"

Dont like ringing call centres either. I kept my old mobile for about 2 months longer than I could have because I was too scared to ring up and ask for an upgrade
Lawrah
Premium Member

19th Aug 09 at 13:46   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I used to have a huge issue with this! But I faced my fear and got a call centre job when I was 16 and that seemed to cure it! I stilll dont really like answering numbers I dont know
Daimo B

19th Aug 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im ok now, but a few years back i'd get nervous, maybe thats where i kept changing jobs

Now, i don't care. Had a huge row with a director this morning, i don't care If im sure im in the right, i'll argue tooth and nail until proving my point, unless someone can prove that im wrong, in which case im happy to apologise and look at another angle.

Hence proving im the same in real life as i am on here.

Do not piss me off You will feel my wrath.

Honestly though, I went on an "assertiveness course" and it really helped my life. Helped control anger and frustration, fear, intimidation etc. It showed you how to take a sh1tty person on the phone, and turn it around so they are answering to you, not telling you what they want to say. What questions to ask etc..

It really worked for me, as i'd get angry, then go mental down the phone, hence annoying my bosses. By the time i left, i was taking on the most miserable nasty b1tchy secretaries who always caused hassle, and telling them in so many words "im here to help, if you get so abusive or nasty down the phone, im within my right not to help you, why bite the hand thats feeding you, why would I want to help you if you've jsut called me to have a massive go about a system i didn't write? I just support it. I understand your angry because xyz aint working, but at the end of the day, you taking your anger out on me and using me as a verbal punchbag really isn't going to make me want to help you in any way is it etc..." The attitude of aggression quickly turned to defence as someone stood up and not took their cr4p... Before long, those problem users were no longer a problem for me. Just everyone else still

Have a look into it, really could help.

[Edited on 19-08-2009 by VXR]
sand-eel

19th Aug 09 at 13:51   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same with me, I hate phoning, I usually go and see the person face to face if I can.
Ian W

19th Aug 09 at 14:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Don't have a problem with it, all my jobs have involved some sort of phone answering though so maybe im used to it.
RCS

20th Aug 09 at 16:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I go through stages of hating talking on the phone. Sometimes I'm ok and just get on with it, but other times when I think about it before hand I get all nervous.

Face to face I'm fine - got to give a tour of facilities tonight to 30 people and I'm not phased about it. But I'm doing a phone interview for Radio 5 on Saturday and I'm bricking it!

<<  1    2    3  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » speaking to people on the phone. 23 database queries in 0.0923049 seconds