corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 3D

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author 3D
John

User status: Offline
4th Sep 09 at 13:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

3D seems to be a big thing for next year, loads of manufacturers announcing 3D tv's and Sony have announced that from next year all PS3 games, that's all games including existing ones will be playable in 3D.

I'd need to have a shot to see how if it's any better than the last time I watched a 3D film.

Sky are also heavily looking into 3D.

I think the xbox would probably blow up trying to pump out 1080p 3D btw.

Thoughts?

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/04/ps3s-new-3d-mode-captured-on-video-coming-in-2010-to-all-exist/#continued
N3CRO

4th Sep 09 at 13:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
I think the xbox would probably blow up trying to pump out 1080p 3D btw.

I think the Xbox would melt instantly!
Toby
Premium Member

4th Sep 09 at 14:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

sky are trialing filimg sports in 3D at the moment, im sure i saw something on te net with them using two cameras at an angle at the same width apart as your eyes.
Dom

4th Sep 09 at 15:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by CorsaB4ever
sky are trialing filimg sports in 3D at the moment, im sure i saw something on te net with them using two cameras at an angle at the same width apart as your eyes.

Sounds like a version of the iMax cameras, no doubt it'll be digital otherwise i can imagine it being a pain in the arse loading two reels of 70mm tape that only lasts 30secs or so

Am i right in think you NEED a 3D tv to play these? And is a 3D basically a telly that can handle 200Hz?

[Edited on 04-09-2009 by Dom]
Brett
Premium Member

4th Sep 09 at 15:25   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The thought of having to wear stupid joe90 glasses whilst watching tv or playing games isn't one that makes me warm inside It's the next big thing to get everyone buying tho isn't it I s'pose.
Shane

4th Sep 09 at 15:34   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

everyone seems to forget that its been trialed a couple of times before in the 50's and the 80's and once again they are trying to pump it out.

I wont be buying a 3D tv or the glasses. you will have to buy extra pairs for when your mates come round etc
sc0ott

4th Sep 09 at 15:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

i remember the magazines you got with the white paper frame and blue and red shitty lenses for reading in 3D.
Cosmo

4th Sep 09 at 16:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Sky have filmed a number of things recently in 3D, and even tested a live 3D broadcast (was the Bolt 150m street race in Manchester) to a number of its own 3D TV's, through the standard sky network and to a standard HD Sky box.
John

4th Sep 09 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Shane
everyone seems to forget that its been trialed a couple of times before in the 50's and the 80's and once again they are trying to pump it out.

I wont be buying a 3D tv or the glasses. you will have to buy extra pairs for when your mates come round etc

Technology has advanced slightly.

Glasses are gay though unless it's amazing, glasses aren't totally necessary either, there are other ways of doing it.

It's interesting to me that they are doing something other than just upping resolution so we'll see how it goes.

Sky spending money on trying to perfect it makes me think it's got some life in it.

Sky has 2 cameras at different angles as said, last time I was reading about it they have it just about perfected for a fixed point of focus but having issues with fast moving focusing like you need for most things.
Cosmo

4th Sep 09 at 18:00   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

No, they have perfected it with movement now from what I read a few weeks ago, the live transmission of Bolt's run in Manchester was apparently very successful.

The main stumbling blocks with it all are the cost of the equipment to film in 3D (need 2 cameras where they previously had 1), and obviously the lack of 3D TV's out there.

Sky dont expect to even roll out the odd 3D programming until past 2012 from what the guy was saying in the interview.
Dom

4th Sep 09 at 20:03   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Does it require double the bandwidth?
I'm guessing it works by doubling the refresh rate and then alternating each frame between the two cameras?

I remember having an old Wicked3D graphics card (2001 or so) and paying for the external 3D glasses, the ones that switch each eye off and on - it kind of worked, Quake looked a bit funky >HERE<

[Edited on 04-09-2009 by Dom]
Cosmo

4th Sep 09 at 20:04   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Im not sure if it does that or if it displays both images at the same time.
Dom

4th Sep 09 at 20:15   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
Im not sure if it does that or if it displays both images at the same time.

Similar to iMax then, where the each frame is overlaid and offset from one and another? Would make sense as it would require the same amount of bandwidth.

Still not convinced if you need to use glasses though....
Cosmo

4th Sep 09 at 20:17   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The current method Sky are using requires the use of glasses, Im not certain if they are working on (or of their is?) another method not using them.
Dom

4th Sep 09 at 20:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Cosmo
The current method Sky are using requires the use of glasses, Im not certain if they are working on (or of their is?) another method not using them.

Yeah, there are 3D TVs from reading around, Phillips are working on one where each eye receives a different image, angling each corresponding frame to each eye. Seems weird but apparently it's suppose to be extremely impressive apart from the fact that you not able to focus on the background if the camera is focusing on the foreground etc
John

5th Sep 09 at 11:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

The PS3 will be pumping it out at 200Hz to give 100Hz alternaing frames and its compatible with all the 3D tv's so i'd guess that the way they're doing it.
Hammer

5th Sep 09 at 11:52   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Without having a clue about any of it, could you not substitute glasses for a bolt on filter for the tv screen?
Toby
Premium Member

5th Sep 09 at 12:27   View Garage View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer
Without having a clue about any of it, could you not substitute glasses for a bolt on filter for the tv screen?

sounds like the best idea but doesnt the 3d work with the glasses as the image comes out to you ig you catch me, where as with a filter on the TV the image will only come out as far as the filter reducing the effect if not making it redundant
Hammer

5th Sep 09 at 12:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Possibly, I don't have a clue tbh.
Cosmo

5th Sep 09 at 12:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Hammer

Im so glad you wont be able to post during the day on here soon, Hammer Doyle!

Basically, 3D works by showing two different images on the screen and each eye only sees one of those images, the glasses are there to prevent one eye from seeing the others image. A filter on the screen couldnt do this.

Its basically trying to mimic how you would look at something in real life to see it in 3D.
Hammer

5th Sep 09 at 12:32   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

First google link....http://www.digitalversus.com/news_id-9405.html

I'm away to the dragons den with this
John

5th Sep 09 at 13:55   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

They do have 3d tv's the way you are talking about but you'd have to move around to get the full 3d affect.

To get 3d without the glasses you'd need some sort of hologram type effect.
Cosmo

5th Sep 09 at 14:11   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by John
To get 3d without the glasses you'd need some sort of hologram type effect.

Which is in development!

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Geek Day » 3D 25 database queries in 0.0115619 seconds