corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Pet Day: Dog Training + Postlady

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author Pet Day: Dog Training + Postlady
dannymccann

User status: Offline
12th Oct 09 at 10:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Right then, Nash is pretty good at behaving himself. He doesnt bite anyone, only really barks at other dogs and has only pee'd once in the night because we forgot to let him out the night before

But he is terrible when it comes to the door being knocked on or the letterbox being used. The easy solution to the post is an external post box, but I would rather him not need one. Ive tried the route of deterring him from going to the door by using pepper on towel stuck to where his nose goes on the door, didnt really work. Ive tried using his chocolate biscuits to get him to stop going right up to the door and barking, which worked sort of, but as soon as the biscuits ran out and I started playing with the letterbox again he went back to his old ways.

Apart from a professional trainer, an external postbox, or keeping him confined to a room until she has been what else can I try?
flybikeslee

12th Oct 09 at 10:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

debark him
bigboykarl

12th Oct 09 at 10:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

thought you'd want him barking at the post,or anybody at the door as it discourages burgulars and chavs...lol
mwg

12th Oct 09 at 10:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My Dad trains dogs. Get a plastic bottle, put some stones in and rattle it when ever he does something you dont want him to do. They dont like it. Or spray water in his face, they dont like that either It does work though
dannymccann

12th Oct 09 at 10:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Lee - not really the aim

Karl - live in a nice area so dont really have to worry about those things, I dont mind him barking but its his teeth that are the problem, I dont want anyone getting hurt

Mat - I havent tried the stones, but I have tried the water (Dog Borstal ) and all he does is try to catch the water jet in his mouth and when he fails he tries to attack the water bottle
bigboykarl

12th Oct 09 at 11:14   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

get a metal cage type thing for behind the letterbox then he can't snap at anybodys fingers..but can bark to his hearts content
Colin

12th Oct 09 at 11:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

We let our dog bring the paper/mail/visitor into the house & he gets a reward for it if he does as hes told.........involvement is better then exclusion.
Sam
Premium Member

12th Oct 09 at 11:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Danny - watch a few episodes of The Dog Whisperer on Sky 3/Nat. Geo.!
AndyKent

12th Oct 09 at 12:40   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
We let our dog bring the paper/mail/visitor into the house & he gets a reward for it if he does as hes told.........involvement is better then exclusion.

Thats what I'd do. Get some empty envelopes and couple of old newspapers and get someone to post them through. If he tears them up go mental, if he brings them or leaves them alone give him a treat.

Better than trying to do it with post you actually need
dannymccann

12th Oct 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I dont want him to touch it all tbh, I want him to just leave it all alone and ignore the front door

Ill have a look at the whisperer
Colin

12th Oct 09 at 14:29   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

My dug can read the envelope & distribute the mail its amazing!!
Colin

12th Oct 09 at 14:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by dannymccann
I want him to just leave it all alone and ignore the front door

Put a child gate up then, he'll still bark though!!

We had to install one when he 1st arrived otherwise he'd be upstairs at every chance & in the beds. Now the gate lays open & he just knows hes not to go up there!!

[Edited on 12-10-2009 by Colin]
dannymccann

12th Oct 09 at 14:43   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Yea you see hes fine at everything else, he doesnt go upstairs and if he does its in the mornings when one of us is still up there, cos hes all excited to see us. Like I said I dont mind his barking that much I just want him to stop eating the post lady, I dont much care if he eats the pizza/indian takeaway menu delivery people though
Colin

12th Oct 09 at 14:45   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Yea you see hes fine at everything else, he doesnt go upstairs and if he does its in the mornings when one of us is still up there, cos hes all excited to see us. Like I said I dont mind his barking that much I just want him to stop eating the post lady, I dont much care if he eats the pizza/indian takeaway menu delivery people though

Put him in a sack & beat him up then get a black man to open the sack.
dannymccann

12th Oct 09 at 14:49   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Racist!
Jay

12th Oct 09 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Colin
quote:

Put him in a sack & beat him up then get a black man to open the sack.

swill_omnibus

12th Oct 09 at 17:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Plastic bottle with rocks in it. When he starts barking etc shout "LEAVE IT" and shake the sametime to reinforce the command.

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » Pet Day: Dog Training + Postlady 23 database queries in 0.0147018 seconds