corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » That industrial car polisher

New Poll
  <<  1    2  >> Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author That industrial car polisher
Rich H

User status: Offline
3rd Nov 09 at 12:54   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I never go above 2500 in the most extreme cases and can correct most things at 2000.
Neo

3rd Nov 09 at 13:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Same Rich, most marks bar one have been corrected at 2k on mine. I think the message to the OP is that dont expect miracles, however will be an improvement on hand polishing.
UGH
Banned

3rd Nov 09 at 13:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

listen to who you like, tis the internet afterall

whack a bit of polish on the car, spin it around, ta daa, your a "detailer"

is it really advisible to learn with an orbital rather than a DA.

i meant OPM not RPM.. sorry, i didn't realise this ebay sander was.

Lime prime lite, does contain abrasives
mart08uk

3rd Nov 09 at 13:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Ahhhh, thanks for the links neo that will help alot thanks rich what polish should i get then? would the Meguiars #80 be good enough to start with? thanks
John

3rd Nov 09 at 13:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by UGH

is it really advisible to learn with an orbital rather than a DA.

I'd disagree.

I got more done in 10 mins with that cheap rotary than I did in a whole weekend with a G220.
Rich H

3rd Nov 09 at 13:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Indeed - OP - that will help, but take it slowly and carefully, a good set of starting polishes would be the 3M ones (Elite Car Care do a sample pack) Menzerna (again Elite & Clean Your Car do sample kits) or Megs 83 followed by 80.

UGH May I ask you to read these:

Lime Prime: http://www.dodojuice.com/lime-prime-pre-wax-cleanser.html

Lime Prime Lite: http://www.dodojuice.com/lime-prime-lite-pre-wax-cleanser.html

Then try arguing with me again. And learning with an orbital rather than a DA?! Presumably you mean random orbital which is the same as a DA.

[Edited on 03-11-2009 by Rich H]
UGH
Banned

3rd Nov 09 at 13:18   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

your right there murray.....ops:

i'll let you advise as i'm not up the same standard as you.

tbh SRP by hand every week does a good enough job anyway and is miles cheaper then getting a pro to do it
Neo

3rd Nov 09 at 13:28   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UGH - Rich runs his own detailing firm and sells the Dodo Juice Products so knows what he is talking about. Most people on this forum will respect the advice he gives as he does it daily.

I do agree that SRP would give an ok result, however weekly for...2 or 3 years will severly damage the paint.

I use a rotary twice a year, once before winter kicks in, then once after winter, then seal the car. The most i do after that is pressure wash it once or twice in that 6 month period to get rid of the worst. Each time it comes round the car is still easy to clean. Good protection is the best offence over consistent polishing tbh.
UGH
Banned

3rd Nov 09 at 13:36   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so how long will you be able to use the rotary twice a year, before the laquer runs out on your car?

i think the biggest step is being able to step back from car and think "actually its good enough" and stop cutting laquer back etc

small defects and swirls will always exist imo, the only way to have a perfect car is to clean it up and never drive it or clean it again

Neo

3rd Nov 09 at 13:47   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by UGH
so how long will you be able to use the rotary twice a year, before the laquer runs out on your car?

Frankly, it depends on the quality of the paint and how agressive you are. I have a 1 year old car now which has been done once before, and will be done at the weekend in prep for christmas, will take paint depth readings to make sure I dont remove to much. I make sure to protect the car as well as possible afterwards, multiple layers of sealant and wax, so all i'm doing when i use the rotary is removing car park scratches, fixing stone chips (small amount of paint in, lightly flatted and then polished) and then effectively just polishing the car as you would.

So a weekly hand polish will probably be more detrimental to the car's protection in the long term.
UGH
Banned

3rd Nov 09 at 14:27   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

not disputing that, but just curious as to how many times you can use the polisher on car.

i know you should have a paint depth gauge, but the results are always what they seem.

Neo

3rd Nov 09 at 14:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

As said UGH, it all depends to how aggressive you are. I'd take a random stab in the dark say 50 times before the paint gets to a level where you'd be risky. However you could overcook it on the first time and that'd be it.

You could however have a car with thick paint, that you use the rotary on 100's of times, you could get very thin paint that you can only use the rotary on 5 times....

At least with a rotary you can be very consistent with the pressure you apply, whereas by hand you can be very uneven.
Ojc

3rd Nov 09 at 14:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I'm going to get a G220 with the Menzerna starter kit from CleanYourCar.

I want something that is good for a beginner and not going to fuck up my paint work and this fits the bill perfectly.
John

3rd Nov 09 at 14:41   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Soo much work with a g220, wasn't even making a dent in clio paintwork.
Ojc

3rd Nov 09 at 14:50   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Use a different polish or a more abrasive pad?
Ojc

3rd Nov 09 at 14:53   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

UGH

Got to have been Steve
John

3rd Nov 09 at 15:16   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I had bought a kit from one of the detailing sites at the time and was using the most abrasive combination that came with it, can't remember what that was now.

Was wondering who he was if he was banned so quickly.
Jake

3rd Nov 09 at 18:44   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

ive been half tempted to buy one of these but it seems like abit of a waste in the long run. ill probably only need to use it once or twice then it will get chucked in the wardrobe
mart08uk

3rd Nov 09 at 19:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

jake, i thaught this too but a few people say they would have it done too and pay me if i do my car and it looks good (family) but my car is quite scratched mainly around the boot sill, and i found a garage that will mop my car for £80 but thaught i would buy one myself and give it a go... alot of practice first tho on this scrapper i have around the back btw thanks for the info everyone massive help i have signed up to detailing world but not been accepted by the mods yet, also think i am going to go with the megs stuff like rich suggested

[Edited on 03-11-2009 by mart08uk]

<<  1    2  >>

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » That industrial car polisher 23 database queries in 0.0712142 seconds