corsasport.co.uk

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » New Light Switches..

New Poll
  Subscribe | Add to Favourites

You are not logged in and may not post or reply to messages. Please log in or create a new account or mail us about fixing an existing one - register@corsasport.co.uk

There are also many more features available when you are logged in such as private messages, buddy list, location services, post search and more.

Author New Light Switches..
Tiger

User status: Offline
12th Nov 09 at 17:30   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Has anyone seen those new light switches yet? I installed a few at work today. They have no wires going to them and have no batteries. Literally just screw them where you want, set the bit switches and off you go!

Modern technology eh. We also just trialed some LED tubes, to replace flourescent tubes. Link out the ballast and put the tube in as normal, they are brighter and less than half the power of a tube with no inrush current either.

My news of the day anyway

P.S. This isnt a house day item, I don't work in houses.....ever - house bashing sucks.

[Edited on 12-11-2009 by Tiger]
Cosmo

12th Nov 09 at 17:33   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

How do the switches work then? Just wireless tech linked to the light and switches it on/off?

I bet they've had this sort of advanced tech in Australia for years, shitty UK.
Rich H

12th Nov 09 at 17:35   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

That sounds quite cool! LED replacements for fluorescent tubes are well overdue imo too.
Tiger

12th Nov 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

http://www.gizmag.com/go/3941/
stubs

12th Nov 09 at 17:38   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

I've installed Rako stuff which is similar but they take batteries. It's quite pricey stuff though if your place is already wired up.

Lutron / Crestron is the way forward though... we did some very tasty installs with that equipment
Dom

12th Nov 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Wireless switches have been around for a while, you know who they were made by? Were they x10 switches?
stubs

12th Nov 09 at 17:42   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Rich H
That sounds quite cool! LED replacements for fluorescent tubes are well overdue imo too.

Instantly makes me think of Sankeys!!

C2RL R

12th Nov 09 at 17:48   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

so where do you put the reciever?

also, how much do LED replacements for flourescents cost?
Tiger

12th Nov 09 at 18:02   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
so where do you put the reciever?

also, how much do LED replacements for flourescents cost?

I dont know about the cost of LED tubes - as far as I know they arent commercially available yet, I could be wrong though - we had trials from a UK company that is developing them as well as other LED products like Low Bay Lights that have equal output but 50% input current.

The actual light fitting is the reciever - is has the unit inside, much like a standard ballast but a wireless reciever.
oceansoul

12th Nov 09 at 18:06   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

There must be batteries in the switch surely? It would need some kind of power for its control/RF circuitry.
C2RL R

12th Nov 09 at 18:07   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the only way i could see these light switches being popular is if it would allow non-part P people to fit them but i doubt it would if they would have to change the fitting. i agree that the technology is amazing but i just can't see them being worth it.
stubs

12th Nov 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by oceansoul
There must be batteries in the switch surely? It would need some kind of power for its control/RF circuitry.

I'm guessing it's some sort of piezo-electric (sp?) device.. Transfers the physical energy from the motion of pressing the button into a small amount of electric energy.
C2RL R

12th Nov 09 at 18:08   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:

it converts the kinetic energy generated when you operate the switch.
Tiger

12th Nov 09 at 18:09   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by stubs
quote:

I'm guessing it's some sort of piezo-electric (sp?) device.. Transfers the physical energy from the motion of pressing the button into a small amount of electric energy.

Yeah they are piezo I think.
Tiger

12th Nov 09 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by C2RL R
the only way i could see these light switches being popular is if it would allow non-part P people to fit them but i doubt it would if they would have to change the fitting. i agree that the technology is amazing but i just can't see them being worth it.

Well, in a 1st fix, you wouldnt have to install wires in walls, apart from sockets obviously.
oceansoul

12th Nov 09 at 18:10   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Tiger
quote:
Originally posted by stubs
quote:

Yeah they are piezo I think.

Aye, i just read the link. A current must be induced when the switch is pressed in. Sounds pretty awesome tbh. Especially for 2 (or more) switches operating 1 light.
Deadude

12th Nov 09 at 18:23   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the LED tubes are very expensive imo overall worth it cant remember the exact costs but i remember it takes around 5 years to replenish the savings in electric cause of how expensive they are but i think they have a lifespan over 20 years?
ed

12th Nov 09 at 18:24   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

Soon they'll be able to do more stuff like that, but it will harness energy from things like TV masts, wireless routers, mobile phone signals e.t.c...

Imagine a phone that could partially/fully charge itself just by being in an area with good reception
ed

12th Nov 09 at 18:25   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Deadude
the LED tubes are very expensive imo overall worth it cant remember the exact costs but i remember it takes around 5 years to replenish the savings in electric cause of how expensive they are but i think they have a lifespan over 20 years?
They're solid state so they should last forever (on paper). But they always fail eventually.
C2RL R

12th Nov 09 at 18:31   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

the fitting won't last that long though.
stubs

12th Nov 09 at 18:46   View User's Profile U2U Member Reply With Quote

quote:
Originally posted by Deadude

It's early days though.. I'd imagine the cost will come down in a similar way that the energy saving bulbs did

New Poll

Corsa Sport » Message Board » Off Day » New Light Switches.. 23 database queries in 0.0134289 seconds